Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 16, 2017, 12:20:48 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Code Geass R2  (Read 79416 times)

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Code Geass R2
« on: April 13, 2008, 11:57:13 AM »
Epsiode 2

ANSWERS!  WE'VE GOT ANSWERS!

It's only episode two and the game's back on.  Good job Sunrise.  That was one epic 24 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 02:31:32 PM by Shadowmage »

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Code Geass R2
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 04:35:32 AM »
Episode 2

This feels so awkward.  Except for the twists and turns to the plot, these two episodes have been exactly like the first two episodes of the first series.

Lelouch doing to play some games, meets a chick, who's shot in front of his eyes, but she's not only not dead but gives him the power of Geass.

Takes a mech, forms a makeshift army, takes on the ruler of Area 11, defeats the Brittainian army, kills the governor.

Same thing.  Worse, in two episodes they basically are picking up from the end of episode 23.  Yes, 23.  Not 24 or 25.  Zero's back in power, public hero, United States of Japan, yadda yadda yadda.

But as clumsy as all that felt, I understand the point behind it.  They have to bring the "new" audience up to speed with the rest of us, who are instead of getting caught up orgasming over the new developments...

of Kallen's tits...

There's a lot that happened in this episode otherwise.  Kallen's confrontation of Lelouch / Zero was satisfying enough, though I'd be happier if this wasn't over here.  Her speech about wanting to know if her motivation was all her own feelings was a great touch.  She's essentially begging Lelouch to tell her that he didn't Geass her into doing all this.  What's great about it is Lelouch managed to tell her what she needed to hear without actually admitting whether he used it on her or not.  Thus, she still believes she can be controlled.  She also has no idea the limitations of the Geass, or she'd know that while she was talking to him, whatever command he gave her would have done it.

But there's another problem.  Lelouch seems to have it up the whole time in this episode, which is how it should be.  In the next episode previews, it seems he's capable of suppressing it again, which might take s'more explanation.  We still don't see any reaction from Shirley either, nor any explanation why she's referring to him as Lulu again.  By the end of the first season, she'd still "forgotten" their past together but she knew he was Zero, which caused her a lot of confusion.  No explanation for that yet.

We got one partial explanation for Rolo, then we got a kick in the nuts at the end.  This'll be interesting.

I totally dug the scene with the Emperor.  Everything about it was awesome.  Lelouch's fierce anger at what the Emperor was going to do to him.  Suzaku's coldness towards Lelouch AND his jackassed way of getting into a position of power.  I totally loved that!  Suzaku wouldn't have done that in season one, but season two Suzaku is a much more ambitious and terrifying person.

I STILL don't like the idea that the emperor just put Lelouch back into Area 11 at the Brittanian school.  Even if he was being used as bait to somehow lure out C.C., the emperor was awfully short sighted in putting Lelouch into a position where he could become Zero again.  I said before in the first season that the Emperor seemed to be rather pleased with what Lelouch was doing.  Perhaps he never wanted Zero captured to begin with and he wanted to see just how far Lelouch could go.  Who knows.  It reeks of plot devicing tho.

BRING ON MORE... I WANT MORE!
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 06:25:27 PM »
Episode 3 part 4
ROFL
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 07:34:52 PM by Shadowmage »

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 04:20:57 PM »
This is the "leak" I'm guessing (pointless now that the episode has aired).  Were there any differences between that and the actual episode that went to air?

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 04:37:33 PM »
No, there was none that I could catch.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 04:41:11 AM »
Episode 3,

Not sure what the point of the leak was.  It made little sense without seeing the first part of the episode.

Anyway, this episode showed what I was trying to point out in the Geass thread for the first series:  Lelouch isn't a complete monster, especially when it comes to the people he knows from the school.  I don't believe he could ever directly cause any of them harm, and he'd protect them if he could, which is evidenced by his seething hatred at their memories being messed with as well.

Hypocritical, sure, since he was the one who took Shirley's memories away of him in the first series, but I think we can all agree the circumstances were vastly different.  Which brings me to my beef for this one...

Why did Shirley get her memories of Lelouch erased by Lelouch, start to find clues of her previous memories and the truth of Lelouch towards the end of the first series, and then end up forgetting all of that AND getting all her memories of Lelouch back pre-Zero?

In other words... WHAT WAS THE ****ING POINT, SUNRISE?!  It was so much more interesting having Shirley be a wild card.  Could she screw the whole pooch with her knowledge of Lelouch being Zero?  What would she do with that knowledge and would she remember everything that happened?  All that wonderfully interesting mystery toast because... well.. it just doesn't matter now whether she knows or not.  Plot circumstances change, therefore old unfinished plot angles have to be eliminated.

Too bad.

Ah well, I'm still digging the crap out of this.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 02:11:22 PM »
Episode 4

Oh crap, they did it again.  Once again, I love the direction the story went, but I hate how it got there.

EDIT On second thought, MISAAA!  Is that you?  GTFO!

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 05:49:30 AM »
ok just watched it and...what the hell was with that soap opera? Funny thing is, I can't get mad at it for being so unbelievably contrived and sappy, you can't help but enjoy such a over the top melodrama. Anyway, looks like Chinese and Japanese are going to be allies after all. More nods to RTK with that yellow rebellions reference, sometimes I think Lelouch is just an evil and selfish version of Zhuge Liang. The Chinese guy also reminds me of Wu's leader, whose policy was to sit and watch two powers hurt each other without lifting his own finger.

And one might have thought Villeta thought it was 'over' between her and Ogi when she put a BULLET through his stomach. Well...I guess Sunrise needed even more needless sideplots to keep the plot more spicy.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 05:42:58 PM »

Argh.  I wasn't really sure what the point of Rolo was in the first place.  I then wondered why they gave him a Geass.  And now, I'm wondering how much more contrived he can get.  He's going to melt for Lelouch's sappy words of family and whatever after being a cold and brutal murderer for most of his life?

C'mon, even Smaegol had to have an argument with himself before he was brought back from the abyss.  Lord Vader needed to see his son getting electrocuted by a wrinkly old Dark Lord of the Sith before he came back from the Dark Side.  All it takes for Rolo is 15 minutes worth of dialogue and a moment of self sacrifice by Lelouch?  C'mon Sunrise, we're smarter then that.

Then again, seeing as how this is prime time, maybe they're dumbing it down.

But Shadowmage is right... Rolo has become Lelouch's Misa, which might be the worst thing to happen in this show since episode 19.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 10:05:59 AM »
Episode 5 RAW

Woah, talk about twenty four minutes of pure pandering.  This has pretty much been a hybrid between Suzaku's introduction in the first season and the school festival.  There was some lulz to be had a boatload of moe.  I really thought the episode felt quite disjointed, but at least it moved the plot forward along with the mindless fluff.

Anyways, the ending was evil... EVIL!

I loved it.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 02:00:59 AM »
Episode 5,

GIANT LOADS OF SHIT BALLS!

If you saw that coming, you're a ****ing liar.

I had some fun with this episode despite it being nothing but a fanservice kick.  The tensions between Suzaku and Lelouch were plain as day even before Suzaku pulled that little stunt at the end.  I admit, I'm liking this bastardized version of Suzaku a lot more then the wet behind the ears Suzaku of yore.

We get a few more time-skip questions answered, but not really from a source I was asking a bunch on.  Hearing about Milly's situation with Lloyd was interesting, if unimportant.  Or was it?  Hard to say.

The humor in this was pretty well done.  Of course C.C was going to show up for the second attempt at a giant pizza.  I didn't expect Kallen to show up, too, and the manner in which she did was hysterical.  Lelouch unceremoniously knocking C.C. into the vat of tomatoes to cover his ass just made me howl.  Oh, and....

... God damn Kallen is hot.

I'm trying to figure out what's with the box with the awfully angry writing on it.  Rivalz mentioned that it was Nina's, but who the heck is "beard-face"?  Regardless, whatever it is seems to be pretty damn important.

The most disjointed parts of the episode involved Villeta Nu.  Those who have seen it know what I mean.  To call that a "pretty big jump" would be understating the retarded way it was executed.

But Geass is still the best anime on TV, so I'll let this episode's pandering and clumsiness slide because that ending was so damn epic.  Now whatcha gonna do Lelouch?  This is turning into one hell of a chess match.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 06:15:53 PM »
Quote from: TypicalIdiotFan;12890
I'm trying to figure out what's with the box with the awfully angry writing on it.  Rivalz mentioned that it was Nina's, but who the heck is "beard-face"?  Regardless, whatever it is seems to be pretty damn important.
Nah, it was a short "conflict" that was resolved this episode.

This has been brought to you by Pizza Hut.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 09:39:51 PM »
This was me, not paying any attention at all.  I still don't know who the hell Beard Face is.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 02:18:39 AM »
Well there's only one bearded character in the whole series. And that doesn't really make too much sense considering why C.C would leave such a message on a box for him...

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 10:38:07 AM »
Episode 6

With this episode, the show has reached new lows.  This wasn't terrible per se, but it was incredibly generic.  Most of the time was spent on super robot fight scenes that were average at best, and what little drama there was felt kind of cheap.  

The only thing I liked about this episode was Zero's walk inside the floating fortress.  I loved how he was leaving such a bloody carnage  in his wake as he approached Nunnally.  It really establishes the monster he has become, and it sets the ground for Nunnally's reaction.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 04:33:28 PM by Shadowmage »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12  All   Go Up