Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 10:08:24 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Code Geass R2  (Read 79445 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Code Geass R2
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 12:10:06 AM »
The thing about Brittania is that while it seems to be invincible with it's Knightmares against the other nations, they're not invincible at all.  They're having to denote a ton of resources into these other battle fronts, not to mention protecting their vast interests across the globe.  Then you have to deal with the E.U. and the Chinese Federation, maintaining the balance of power until you can do what you want to do in conquering them.

Meanwhile, this little piece of the empire is causing havoc, but what can you do quickly about it?  While they have some flying ships and such, it doesn't appear as though they can quickly mobilize the major forces necessary to crush the rebellion.  Logistics may not be spoken of in this show thus far, but you can tell that they're thinking of it when trying to make Brittania seem vulnerable against Zero and his attacks.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 07:48:59 PM »
Preview 1
Preview 2

Well well well maybe TIF was right about Zero taking over China. And what's this about the empress's political marriage? I mean, I don't think it's that bad to be married to someone like Schneizel, but if it's to this guy...yea then I can understand Li desperate to protect the poor little girl.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 07:04:06 AM »
Episode 9

Zero strikes again.  This is Kure-nai's break in Geass style.  Many of the events here were purely farcial, but I liked the sheer absurdity of the end.

I would also like to know the rules of Shogi since I presume they are using those rules to stage the chess matches.  As cool as a game of chicken with kings is, I found it retarded when they said "but if he moves his pawn, Schneizel's King will be taken out."  No, you can't move your king into a suicide position by the rules; however, you can be disqualified for making an illegal move.

Nina makes another appearance and goes on another psychotic rage.  Considering that all she's good for, I rather enjoyed this outspurt.  Sunrise seems to have a lot of fun with her facial expressions, and the hysteric voice was spot on.

SPOILER/SPECULATION WARNING (beyond episode 9)
lol

1) Note his hair color.
2) Remember that he is Chinese.
3) The Geass is also known as the "Power of the King"

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline C0MPL3X

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 11:28:15 PM »
I don't take battle strategies Zero pulls out of his ass seriously (mwahaha just as i planned my ass) and I have no reason to take a chess game seriously, which was just a nice little way to touch on the characters of Lelouch and Schneizer. Close game my foot Schneizer's pieces were much better. Speaking of character, I think Shneizer is fascinating simply because I have no idea whether he is actually good or evil (or maybe in that grayish area like Lelouch. Although I think Lelouch's has to be very VERY dark gray...). I've seen Shneizer sympathise with elevens, support Euphie on her endeavours, genuinely horrified by the following massacre...but I wonder if there is a deeper side to him that we aren't aware of yet. I haven't seen it yet, but I can just sense it...he's evil...

+1 for Kallen x Lelouch. Sunrise never fails to come up with unnecessarily revealing clothes and shoot the cameras at best angles. When Lelouch asked Kallen to come back to Ashford with him, was he trying to seduce her so he can manipulate her better? ...or *gasp* what about C.C!?! Q_Q

Anyway, I had to raise an eyebrow at the end. I mean, when the guy was trying to rescue the poor little empress, my initial thought was, 'yup, now China (led by the rebellions) is against Britannia, perfect excuse for Chinese-Japanese alliance'. Now this is just getting weird...will Zero really benefit more by pissing both parties?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2008, 11:38:47 PM »
Quote from: C0MPL3X;13198
+1 for Kallen x Lelouch. Sunrise never fails to come up with unnecessarily revealing clothes and shoot the cameras at best angles. When Lelouch asked Kallen to come back to Ashford with him, was he trying to seduce her so he can manipulate her better? ...or *gasp* what about C.C!?! Q_Q

I think he was just going with the romantic notion of returning to Ashford with "everybody one more time" he mentioned two episodes ago.

Offline C0MPL3X

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2008, 11:39:33 PM »
But that's boring.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 04:03:09 AM »
Ep 9

I thoroughly enjoyed that episode.  The tension with Nina, Milly and the other former student council members, the surprises at the wedding, the chess game.  High thrills at every moment.

Yes, the move Schneizer pulled was BS, but I think the point was a symbolic commentary on Lelouch's tactical philosophies.  Forced to sacrifice the king to win, he didn't.  At the moment, if he were forced to sacrifice himself to win, he wouldn't.  Yet, as Schneizer points out, the Emperor wouldn't think twice in that position.  I think it could be foreshadowing a decision Lelouch might have to make some time down the line.

Quote from: Shadowmage;13197
SPOILER/SPECULATION WARNING (beyond episode 9)
lol

1) Note his hair color.
2) Remember that he is Chinese.
3) The Geass is also known as the "Power of the King"
Spoiler for Hiden:
Oooh, now that's interesting.  How that would come into play now isn't obvious, but what you're hinting at certainly is consistent with what we've seen so far.

Offline C0MPL3X

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 06:49:24 AM »
Quote from: Sorrow-kun;13201
Ep 9
Yes, the move Schneizer pulled was BS, but I think the point was a symbolic commentary on Lelouch's tactical philosophies. Forced to sacrifice the king to win, he didn't. At the moment, if he were forced to sacrifice himself to win, he wouldn't. Yet, as Schneizer points out, the Emperor wouldn't think twice in that position. I think it could be foreshadowing a decision Lelouch might have to make some time down the line.
I thought it was more of Lelouch 'not submitting' to the amusement of Schneizer. Was there any implication that Lelouch had to sacrifice his king to win that game? I mean, Lelouch could've taken out Schneizer with his pwn.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 06:59:25 AM »
Quote from: C0MPL3X;13204
I thought it was more of Lelouch 'not submitting' to the amusement of Schneizer. Was there any implication that Lelouch had to sacrifice his king to win that game? I mean, Lelouch could've taken out Schneizer with his pwn.

Ah, yes, you're right.  Re-watching that scene, I totally misinterpreted that.  Can't say I've ever played a game of chess where someone's moved into checkmate, which threw me to begin with.

Offline C0MPL3X

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2008, 07:46:32 AM »
Yea Schneizer's move was impossible to begin with but maybe there still is some foreshadowing going on here. Schneizer's basically saying, hey Zero, if you want to win this, here you go, but is that really how you want to win it? If Zero really took out Schneizer, then he would have won it, but what exactly would he win? Briefly ignoring Zero's previous plan to GEUXX everyone, he would win very little and become a laughing stock. He would rather turn it down, even if it meant putting himself in a worse position. Perhaps in the future, Zero will be given a chance to win something, but in a way that disgusts him, and also losing things at the same time, such as pride, respect from the population, etc. And of course, now that Schneizer knows this, there is a possibility of him using it against Lelouch.

But hey, whatever respect people had on Zero was thrown out the moment he betrayed Li and put a gun on the poor little girl's head.  Seriously...I don't know what he's thinking but I'm sure Sunrise has some explanation (no matter how ridiculous, but they're pros at coming up with even more ridiculous events, constantly shifting our focus).

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2008, 10:24:09 PM »
I equate the Zero / Schniezer scene to a comment from the movie White Men Cant Jump:

"You'd rather look good and lose then look bad and win."

Offline C0MPL3X

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 12:13:43 AM »
I was sorta thinking about the chicken rib 鷄肋 story (for some reason I'm making all kinds of connection to RTK). You know, how Zhuge Liang was raping Cao Cao at Han Zhong, and Cao Cao looks at his chicken rib soup and is put under a dilemma. Chicken rib has little amount of meat so it's an irritation and a bother to trying eat it, but it's too delicious to just throw it away. If he kept on fighting against Zhuge Liang, he might win but at a huge cost (which he didn't anyway thanks to Liang's hax). And to retreat would mean a total humiliation, even if it was better strategy-wise. (I mean, ruler of the greatest kingdom is leading his elite army himself, and he still has to retreat? what a loser). Of course, Zero didn't think as long as Cao Cao about what he had to do.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 11:27:51 PM »
Episode 9: Seriously, I was confused as hell throughout the entirety of the episode. A lot of things were thrown together at a very fast pace, and though I got the gist of what was going on, it was very hard for me to keep everything together. I wonder if they're gonna put together some sort of cohesive explanation or elaboration of what just went on - then again, if could just be me not paying close enough attention given the comments in this thread. I do hope, however, that this series does not keep this kind of a blisteringly fast pace, because I think slowing down just a bit might help keep things a bit more suspenseful (I wasn't able to appreciate the strategic impact of the marriage of convenience because I was already jumping through scene after scene).

Also, I've been meaning to say this for some time now, but what the hell is with the eyecatch at the half-episode point (coming back from commercial break). What a horrible and cheesy effect, especially given the high production values of the series.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 02:52:34 AM »
The eyecatches for Geass have never been particularly amazing.  I'm not jazzed about the coming back from intro commercials to "sponsor logos" splashing over the first scene of the episode either.

But such is life.  Money to be made, etc.

Offline C0MPL3X

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008, 09:47:25 PM »
One big wank over which mechas are better. That just about sums up episode 10. And Geass's pandering to loli fans continues. I also like how Lelouch is coming in and out of battle zone and Ashford Academy at whim. Is Villeta and Rollo the only Brittanians who are supposedly watching over Zero now?

I don't know. Maybe I beginning to get sick of all the ridiculous events happening randomly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12  All   Go Up