Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 10:57:53 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Code Geass R2  (Read 79154 times)

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: Code Geass R2
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 06:16:32 PM »
Ok, ok ok, I haven't seen any of season 2, but from what I remember of season 1 the subs I watched used "Nanaly." As a result, I never knew that the actual name for the character was Nunally. Wow. That's a terrible name.

OK, go back to discussing; I didn't read anything in this thread other than that godawful name.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 07:29:29 PM »
Quote from: Shadowmage;12994
Episode 6

With this episode, the show has reached new lows.  This wasn't terrible per se, but it was incredibly generic.  Most of the time was spent on super robot fight scenes that were average at best, and what little drama there was felt kind of cheap.  

The only thing I liked about this episode was Zero's walk inside the floating fortress.  I loved how he was leaving such a bloody carnage  in his wake as he approached Nunnally.  It really establishes the monster he has become, and it sets the ground for Nunnally's reaction.

It started off well.  The Rollo scene was typical Geass-awesomeness (though his perfect timing gives even more weight to the Misa comparisons), but Lakshata turning up when she did was a pretty blatant DEM.  And the fight was drawn out.  I think mostly the point of it was to give Kallen's Guren its flying extension.  Although the general seeking to bring down his own ship rather than having others take credit for the battle was mildly amusing.  Somewhat part of the greater theme in this of Britannia being filled with narcissists, while the Black Knights are willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good (yes, an oversimplification of what's really happening, but the trend is there.)

The Nunnally issue could be Lelouch's biggest challenge to date.  He's not going to want to manipulate her as he's done with Rollo and others in the past, simply because of his own principles towards her.  This will be interesting.
Quote from: royal crown;12999
Ok, ok ok, I haven't seen any of season 2, but from what I remember of season 1 the subs I watched used "Nanaly." As a result, I never knew that the actual name for the character was Nunally. Wow. That's a terrible name.

OK, go back to discussing; I didn't read anything in this thread other than that godawful name.

Didn't you ever read Romeo & Juliet.  What's in a name?  Also, you must have watched crap subs. :p

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 01:22:47 AM »
Episode 6,

I see your points, SM, but I don't agree with all of them.  Here's what I agree with / didn't like...

Rolo's timing was way too contrived, though I suppose he could have been tailing Suzaku the whole time.  Rolo is pretty well wanting to kill him, so it wouldn't surprise me.  I know that Lelouch wasn't expecting that, so he sure as heck didn't order Rolo to do so.  I still believe that the "weakness" of Rolo's Geass is not one at all.  It's a test to see if Lelouch ever tries to use that "weakness" to kill Rolo.

The entire sequence with the Gurren was just pure shit.  LOL launch a rocket that figures out all the trajectories and telemetries necessary to link up perfectly with an object that's not exactly falling in a straight line.  LOL launch another rocket that will put the LOL new arm on mech.  LOL new arm kicks ass even over the previous "hax" mech, the Lancelot.  Way too much DEM for my tastes in one scene.  But, hey, if you're going to DEM, go bonkers.  Why not.

Laws of Physics being abused again.  Lelouch just gets blown from an open hole when the ship crashes and explodes right into the waiting arms of the Gurren.  Y'know, they didn't have to have the thing explode.  They could have just had Lelouch run out of there while the thing sank and jump into the water.  Then again, big object, "hard" object, collision... nobody gets tossed around with lethal force.  Not in anime.

I do like, however, that Lelouch stuck to his principles when it came to his little sister.  I had just finished watching the Dub Geass episode on [as] where he flat out says he could never lie to her and so it seems he's a man of his word.

I do like that Nunnally picked up on it immediately.  She has no idea what it is that's wrong, she just knows that something is wrong between Suzaku and Lelouch.  While she'll trust Suzaku, especially if it came down to a choice between him and Zero, she'll be suspicious of his motivations now.  Lelouch has allowed her to become a wild card by telling her that they can't be together and, seemingly, it has something to do with Suzaku.  She doesn't know that it also has a lot to do with Lelouch's alternate lifestyle, but she has the capacity now to be a more important character then Euphemia ever was.

I believe SM's being unfair when he's questioning the drama scenes.  I thought they were done relatively well.  Well, okay, I thought the Lelouch/Zero / Nunnally scenes were done well.  Lelouch is pretty boned when it comes to Nunnally, and he may have exposed himself too much by wanting to kidnap her instead of kill her.

And, as always, C.C. is being the jealous bitch.  I like comparing her to Medina of Jason and the Argonauts lore.  She gives him the power, allows herself to be used by him, but he still loves another.  She questioned him and his motivations about Shirley, about Euphie, and now she's questioning him and his motivations about Nunnally, almost hinting that destroying Brittania is more important then destroying Brittania FOR Nunnally's sake.  She's trying to corrupt his motivations and it's really fun to watch.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 01:39:10 PM »
Actually it was Shinsen Subs; I always was under the impression they were one of the better subbers. Also, I hate you guys; I'm picking this series up now. Will post impressions later.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 04:24:28 PM »
Up to ep 6: Interesting second season. I think it's gonna be interesting to see how Lelouch behaves. Will he simply abandon everything all of his humanity, since his primary (if not singular) motivation for assuming Zero is now pretty much gone? If so, the series might take turn for the worse, because it'll become pretty generic as a revenge story. Either way, it's definitely intriguing. The whole super-robot scheme wasn't really that bad IMO considering the high production values, but I think it detracted a bit too much from the Nanaly-Lelouch confrontation and made the scene a little bit too over-the-top.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 05:04:46 PM »
Episode 7

In typical Code Geass style, a lot has been resolved and a lot more doors have been open.  I thought that Lelouch's downhill slump was done quite well, and his childish antics was amusing to watch.  His recovery was... well, I liked that it was short and somewhat plausible (though Rolo does still irk me).  

In regard's to Zero's "answer," I find a repeat of the previous season impossible unless Goro Taniguchi is really dead and Sunrise is putting his name down to add credibility (all that he deserves from Infinite Rvyius and Planetes).  It's an interesting direction overall, and I like episodes that overtly screws with an already fragile protagonist.   I just hope that this whole subplot about Nunnally is not resolved with a plot device... ehehehehe

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 07:08:13 PM »
Quote from: Shadowmage;13065
In regard's to Zero's "answer," I find a repeat of the previous season impossible unless Goro Taniguchi is really dead and Sunrise is putting his name down to add credibility (all that he deserves from Infinite Rvyius and Planetes). It's an interesting direction overall, and I like episodes that overtly screws with an already fragile protagonist. I just hope that this whole subplot about Nunnally is not resolved with a plot device... ehehehehe

Tho I haven't seen 7 yet, this has been bugging me for some time, too.  Everything we've seen so far has been a rehash or a redo of things we saw in season one.  In some cases, almost verbatim.  While the people and situations have changed somewhat, we're almost at the point right where we left off.

I'm guessing that a lot of that was done to bring along the new viewers in the prime time slot, but if this is some weird attempt at making this struggle of Lelouch's circular, it's going to annoy me.  There are still too many questions unanswered that I don't like (Shirley's reset is still bugging me) and need to be resolved before the plot can truly move forward.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 09:49:13 PM »
Episode 7: I love the speech made in the opening of the anime. It pretty much would indicate that Zero's answer is not really going to take form. I have a feeling that the Black Knights will reject his decision and go against him, unless he changes his mind (possibly after being betrayed or some such thing). Of course, this is all conjecture so I digress.

As for the resolution of Lelouch's condition, I didn't like it so much. In fact, I hated it. His resignation came to the conclusion that I would expect, but the manner in which it did so was totally lame. Does he still think nothing of the fact that the Black Knights are totally his responsibility, and surely they would be executed if they were to surrender? He's personally responsible for his men, and though I don't expect him to act so maturely even a child can understand this without some wishywashy crap about a "happy life." Granted, this isn't a slight against the anime because I think they hit all of the right spots, it's just an aspect of Lelouch's character that bothers me.

Finally, yes, I do think that they're going to go for the struggle=circular route, in one way or another. I think this is alluded to with the heaviness of Lelouch's helmet. But we'll see. It's not like they won't make massive profit either way.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 02:46:39 AM »
Agree with most comments so far.  The depression was well done, but the resolution wasn't all too convincing.  Code Geass isn't at its best when it's trying to be meaningful and uplifting, it's at its best when it's flooring its viewers with unpredictable plot twists.

But yeah, some of the formulas are starting to become a bit obvious.  There's a "we've seen this before" feeling to a lot of things in this episode, but as TIF points out, that's been a bit of a pattern with this entire series (probably its biggest flaw to date).  It'll be interesting to see where this goes, nonetheless.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 07:57:37 PM »
Quote from: royal crown;13067
As for the resolution of Lelouch's condition, I didn't like it so much. In fact, I hated it. His resignation came to the conclusion that I would expect, but the manner in which it did so was totally lame. Does he still think nothing of the fact that the Black Knights are totally his responsibility, and surely they would be executed if they were to surrender? He's personally responsible for his men, and though I don't expect him to act so maturely even a child can understand this without some wishywashy crap about a "happy life." Granted, this isn't a slight against the anime because I think they hit all of the right spots, it's just an aspect of Lelouch's character that bothers me.

Mm I had an impression that everyone, including Zero and Black Knights, were invited by Euphie to collaborate. I mean, isn't that why Zero appeared and Suzaku couldn't attack him at the end? If Zero can be forgiven, I don't see why other Black Knights should be executed considering the fact that his crime is worth way more than all of them put together. Of course, the notion of terrorists suddenly living a happy public life without anything happening to them is reallllly pushing it, which is why I think Euphie massacre #2 will prevent something that awkward and stupid from happening in the first place.

As for the episode itself, excellent episode, I thought this was one of very few times in R2 where I felt the characters were more than just tools.

And shot down by Kallen Lulu...better luck next time.

*btw, I also love the new addition of string piece they played when the boats were exploding, which I think were also used when upgraded Kallen beat the crap out of all the mechas. This reminded me of Aria the Natural because Natural used this particular song (can't remember the name), a beauuutiful song that wasn't in Animation to enhance many crucial scenes.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 08:11:59 PM by C0MPL3X »

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 02:40:34 PM »
I think the distinction can be made between what Euphie had and what Nanaly currently has, because even though they were both political tools, Euphie had more jurisdiction than Nanaly currently has, at least from what's apparent right now, hence I think that the Black Knights would probably be killed off (hell, if not Zero being assassinated altogether) to prevent any sort of uprising altogether.

Offhand, I agree with the music at the point of explosion. One thing Code Geass has always done well is having epic music to set the mood really well.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2008, 04:17:59 PM »
Episode 8

So, Zero has his army. While I question the plausibility of the maneuver, I do have to applaud its creativity. This allows Zero to move his entire army where he wants without worrying about Britannian intervention. It seems that we've finally started the real season 2.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 12:40:08 AM »
Yeah, this requires a large deal of suspension of disbelief (come on, the smoke was there for 15 seconds, and everyone got changed into masks and capes that appeared out of nowhere?), but the concept is unique, and it does seem to break away from circularity a bit. It acts as a "what if Euphie didn't go batshit crazy and kill everyone" scenario, and leaves on a MAJOR cliffhanger. I think Suzaku will soon start to catch on that nobody could know his psychology that much other than Lelouch, and his cover might be blown very soon, which adds to the tension between him and Rolo. This is looking complicated - I like it.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 05:09:21 AM »
Episode 8,

SM and I are agreeing a lot lately.  The solution was just retarded but so creative.  It's the kind of thing only Geass can do.  Geass can remain incredibly contrived but you really don't give a shit.  That's probably it's greatest difference with the often compared Death Note.  Death Note took itself way too ****ing serious, believing that everything shown therein was infallable logic or believable stretches of the imagination.  Geass, though, because the entire situation is utterly fantastic to begin with, doesn't have to worry about that kind of egotistical high ground.  It just wants you to come along for the ride and see what happens next.

Inevitably, Suzaku and Lelouch are going to have to kiss and make up (DOUJINS!), but it wont be for a while yet.  In fact, I wonder how long it'll take before Zhuge Lelouch conquers China in his bid to overthrow Brittania.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2008, 07:02:22 PM »
Well it's bit difficult to compare this situation with what Zhuge Liang did. First of all, they had a clear goal of 'uniting' the whole country, including Cao Cao's and eventually Sun Quan's under one banner of 'true and rightful' leader with royal blood. Now that Japanese are free to live as exiled in this new land, is there any reason for Japanese to invade further into Britannia? Although I guess Lelouch can pull some strings and wage war in LOLWEAPONOFMASSDESTRUCTION style hm. Secondly, Zhuge Liang invaded Xichuan because he needed something to fight Cao Cao with. I think we already have a nice (and grossly unfair) balance of power already between Britannia, China and a little island of Zero (and possibly plus Area 11 by invading it). Zero was able to launch an attack (and nearly win) with what little he had in season 1, so there's probably not that big of a problem using what he has now to properly engage with Brittania (which is not far-fetched at all considering the bullcrap they pulled off in episode 8).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12  All   Go Up