Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 04:21:00 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ga-Rei-Zero  (Read 7110 times)

Offline zzeroparticle

• NEET
  • Reviewer
    • Google+
    • zzeroparticle's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with zzeroparticle using Skype
    • Steam Community :: zzeroparticle
    • @zzeroparticle
    • http://blog.animeinstrumentality.net/

Ga-Rei-Zero
« on: October 09, 2008, 09:57:04 AM »
WHAT.

OK, a supernatural defense task force, CG dinosaurs (that are on fire) that spin around as an alternative mode of transportation, some motorcycle-fu action, all wrapped up with a major WTF ending says quite a bit.  Now I'm going to have to check out the second episode to see if it can match up to the first's level of bizarreness.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Ga-Rei-Zero
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 04:11:16 PM »
The first two action sequences were seriously cheesy and over-the-top but the finale was a real shock and a really ballsy thing to do.  Don't know where this one's going.  Not sure I like its philosophy towards action, though.  Seems to be inspired by fairly generic Hollywood action movies.

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 04:13:21 PM »
My impression is that this is going to be one adrenaline, action-packed series that will be confusing as hell to comprehend.  But, this episode was certainly good enough to gain my interest and keep with it this season.  As long as art quality does not dip, then the action scenes (best thing this show does) looks to carry the series.  Although, I have no idea who the hell is the main character.  I am going to bank on this one being the girl who sliced up everyone at the end.

And yeah, everything in this show thus far led up to that basically saying WTF.  If this series can be something more then stylish entertainment with blood splattering all over the place, then that would be more of a WTF then anything else.  At least, from what I have seen thus far.

Hmm....now that I think of it, I really wonder if anything this season might pop up as a sleeper hit like last year's Mononoke.  Depending on how this series goes, maybe it might fall into that category in its own way.  Somehow.  Maybe.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 08:57:58 PM »
If the chick at the end is the main character, I'm willing to say that the first episode is awesome.  If this is an episodic series that presents itself through the lenses of many sets of characters, then I'll say that this was mediocre.  If the main characters get necro-ed, this becomes crap.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 07:32:40 PM »
Interesting. The animation is high-quality at any rate, but I question the use of CG, as it was somewhat inconsistent at times. The twist at the end was alright, but I think it happened a bit too quickly - we don't know anything about the characters (at least enough to care about their deaths) and if they try to set that up after the fact that's lame as hell.

If the anime is about the girl at the end (apparently in contrast to what most people think) I'm probably going to drop it, as I can't see it going anywhere really good from there.

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 06:23:22 PM »
Episode 2

New Cast.  Some new stuff like a spiritual ferret thing.  And, I still have no ****ing clue what the hell this anime is about.  The only thing I know is that it seems our established villian is the girl who killed everyone from the first episode and her name is Yomi.  And, one of the new characters has already met their death.  I have no idea who the main character is at all, but I am just going to stick with the notion that its Yomi.

Yeah, this is still a Wtf, bizarre, action series and I have no idea where the third episode is going to go.  Well, next episode still looks to be a shocker either way.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 11:41:43 PM »
Episode 2

I love lulzy shows.  So long as I've never seen it before, I can appreciate the fact that I have no clue what is going on. 

In this week's episode, we had a repeat of last week except instead of some middle aged man, we get a cute high school girl who happens to be the younger sister of the chick with mad assassin skills.  Needless to say, the results are pretty much the same, but the show has essentially openned many, many doors while "fooling" the audience into thinking that the show is about to have a definite main character. I'm afraid the whole misdirection scheme became old after the first episode, but if they can tie together something from the cans of worms they've exploded, then color me impressed.

(The likeliness of the writers being good enough to pull it off is pretty low.)     

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 11:33:40 AM »
Up to ep 3: I really don't like how they make all of these really cool but shallow characters and then kill them off. The only real satisfaction I get from the show is from watching the cool action scenes with the unique characters, only to see them die. What's the point? Ep 3 is a perfect example of this: why bother building up a character when we know she's dead? Unless they're about to Gungrave this, I can't see it going anywhere worthwhile.

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 12:44:58 PM »
Considering the name of the title from the preview, I am going to guess this is going to delve into more background info and try to make it like Gungrave from here on out.  Although, the developments in this episode are predictable and I guess at least they didn't try to pull punches in this one.  Still, I thought about dropping this after the latest episode, but I decided to stick around for one more. 

If there is anything this anime season has taught me thus far, its the fact that I don't like weird crap that makes zero sense.  I have this show and Kurozuka to thank for (re)teaching me this lesson.

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 09:20:18 PM »
Episode 4

Hmm....let's see what we have here for this show's true underlying intentions here....

Generic sounding J-pop OP song.  Great ****ing start.

Some meek attempt at slice of life-ish sort of elements combined with atypical bad anime nuances that I dislike such as idiotic sexual innuendo jokes and fanservice.  A disturbing old guy who needs to put on a pair of pants just waltzes in.  Very little character and plot development.  Not only that, this apparently looks to have a monster of the week theme to tie in everything together at the end.

This looks like a winning formula equating to a piece of shit that I am going to go ahead and drop.  Yeah, I don't think this is going to be anything good like a Gungrave at all.  Hell, I don't even think I can take this series seriously at all.

Well, it looks like I only have three shows to watch this season.  At least Tytania is not disappointing, Casshern has my interest, and Gundam 00 Season 2 is off to a decent start.  Impressive lineup?  Not at the very least.  But, at least I have room to watch other types of anime if I want to.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 09:18:34 PM »
4: Gungrave is guuuungrave.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 10:19:43 PM »
Without having seen the fourth ep yet, that's not a totally bad thing.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 06:05:50 AM »
Well, it looks like I only have three shows to watch this season.  At least Tytania is not disappointing, Casshern has my interest, and Gundam 00 Season 2 is off to a decent start.  Impressive lineup?  Not at the very least.  But, at least I have room to watch other types of anime if I want to.
I'll tip my hat to Mouryou no Hako then.  It's a mystery/thriller anime that has been nothing short of excellent as of episode 3.

Pages: [1]   Go Up