Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 01:54:21 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Crappy Boss Fights  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Really Crappy Boss Fights
« on: August 09, 2005, 07:22:01 AM »
Some of gaming history's really bad boss battles are...

Final Fantasy 7-- TOO EASY, JESUS. I only used 4x Cut and Mime and I beat BOTH forms in a couple of turns.

You add some more!

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 07:32:13 AM »
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.  Gannondorf's final form was pretty simple to beat.  I felt that boss battle was a bit too easy.  All it really comes down to is shooting him with light arrows and then hitting him in the tail...  Yep...  The tail.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting
    • http://www.empireofthephoenix.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 01:31:36 PM »
When you mean  bad, do you mean easy to the point of pathetic or really hard?

Anyway one bad boss battle is on Timesplitters 3. On 'something to crow about' on hard, when you face the golaith Sd/9. The reason why it so bad because the boss itself will die in under 2 min, but the small rolling robots scuttling in the arena can mov you down in seconds.

Thanks to DarkKanti for the Sig!

Offline JetFire

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 06:23:07 PM »
To the point of frusteratingly hard, I'd have to say when you face the Biolizard as Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2.  I had only ever beaten him once or twice.  It was just so bloody cheap!  You could even spin directly into the weak spot and still get hurt.   Wizpig in Diddy Kong Racing also drove me crazy.

As for the easiest boss fights, that Would have to be Bowser in Mario 64, or Luther in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.  But I wouldnt call those crappy fights.  Just easy ones.

But the most freshest boss in my memory that I just didnt like, which wasnt easy, nor hard, was Tatarus in Halo 2.  What a crappy end boss.  Halo 2 didnt even need an end boss.

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 06:48:18 PM »
Quote from: Tamashii
Some of gaming history's really bad boss battles are...

Final Fantasy 7-- TOO EASY, JESUS. I only used 4x Cut and Mime and I beat BOTH forms in a couple of turns.

You add some more!

The whole of Final Fantasy has really crappy boss battles.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 10:59:49 AM »
...which is true. I don't remember having a hard time with any of the bosses, except for maybe Ruby Weapon (it took me a couple tries to figure out the mechanics...). There were more challenging FF's.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 12:44:19 AM »
...which is true. I don't remember having a hard time with any of the bosses, except for maybe Ruby Weapon (it took me a couple tries to figure out the mechanics...). There were more challenging FF's.

The wepaons in VII and the secret boss in IX were easily the hardest bosses ever in FF.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 10:52:44 AM »
...not necessarily (well I didn't get to the secret boss for IX yet...heh...only disc 3).

Weapon was easy because of KOTR. Try beating it without that cheaty summon and you'll change your opinion immediately. Believe it or not KOTR + Mime is possibly the cheatiest and strongest strategy in any Final Fantasy game.

I'm not too sure about the HP of Ruby, but it took me from 5-7 KOTR summons to take it down (considering that I did 130,000 total per turn), so I guess it has about 700,000HP. Now do the math: you'd need at least 65 turns dealing 9999 each time to kill it. 65? And with it beating you over the head constantly? It takes some patience, honest, even some decent strategy (Summon + HP Absorb, heh heh).

Now let's not even get started with Emerald Weapon.

FFX's secret boss (Omega Weapon or something...forgot...) was a PAIN IN THE ASS to GET. But he wasn't too hard to beat. And there's no KOTR-like stupidity in FFX, btw.

(I can't believe I forgot to say it but I meant SEPHIROTH in my first post...hopefully some of you caught onto that...)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 10:57:17 AM by Tamashii »

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting
    • http://www.empireofthephoenix.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 02:53:01 PM »
Quote from: JetFire
Wizpig in Diddy Kong Racing also drove me crazy.

Yeah Wizpig was a nasty little piggy wasn't he? If i recall most of the bosses in that game were hard as they required almost perfect driving from the player. If you mucked up, you could bet that you would lose.

Thanks to DarkKanti for the Sig!

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 04:29:32 PM »
...not necessarily (well I didn't get to the secret boss for IX yet...heh...only disc 3).

Weapon was easy because of KOTR. Try beating it without that cheaty summon and you'll change your opinion immediately. Believe it or not KOTR + Mime is possibly the cheatiest and strongest strategy in any Final Fantasy game.

I'm not too sure about the HP of Ruby, but it took me from 5-7 KOTR summons to take it down (considering that I did 130,000 total per turn), so I guess it has about 700,000HP. Now do the math: you'd need at least 65 turns dealing 9999 each time to kill it. 65? And with it beating you over the head constantly? It takes some patience, honest, even some decent strategy (Summon + HP Absorb, heh heh).

Now let's not even get started with Emerald Weapon.

Honestly, I never bothered to get KOTOR, and I still beat all the weapons.  And, yes, they were hard as hell without it.  And KOTOR + Mime isn't the only cheap strategy in FF.  Three was one in FFVI that was even cheaper, but I can't remember exactly what it was.  Ruby was a bitch because he knocked out two of your characters randomly, and I honestly couldn't beat him with anybody but Cloud.  The battle itself took well over an hour.

The final boss from IX is supposedly the hardest bossfight in all FF.  I haven't exactly fought him myself yet, but a friend of mine told me he was wiped out within minutes (his characters all were maxed outas well).

I have to say even though the boss fights (excluding weapons) were fairly easy in FFVII, it is still my favorite game of all time followed closely by Chrono Trigger (which also had some pretty easy bosses).

Offline Panzyo

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 04:42:23 PM »
Quote from: DarkKanti
The final boss from IX is supposedly the hardest bossfight in all FF.  I haven't exactly fought him myself yet, but a friend of mine told me he was wiped out within minutes (his characters all were maxed outas well).

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Final boss? As in Necron? You've got to be kidding. I had a harder time beating Hell Houses in FF7 than I did beating Necron. I was only like, level 65 when I beat the game too.

Now if you mean Ozma, the secret boss, I wouldn't know. I can't find one Chocograph...

Anyway, boss fights.

Hardest one I've fought in any game is Demon's Gate from FF7, I think.

Easiest was probably Brock from Pokemon. I always feel bad about destroying the squinty-eyed guy.

Overall stupidest boss fight was probably the Phantom from Kingdom Hearts. He wasn't too hard, but having to keep switching what I was beating on him with just got on my nerves.

Offline ReadorDie

• Teh Newbie Reviewer

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 07:34:18 PM »
So-hard-its-stupid: Abyssion from Tales of Symphonia.  I did about 2 damage to him per hit.

So-easy-its-stupid: The Arachne Boss from Shadow Hearts: Covenant.  Seriously folks, I beat him in one round.
Pages: [1]   Go Up