Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 20, 2017, 04:21:29 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cowboy Bebop  (Read 5501 times)

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

Cowboy Bebop
« on: August 08, 2005, 09:00:40 AM »
omg I <3 cow.boy beeebop do u b/c it r teh rxx0rs nd u shuld watch it bc it make trigun lok liek pusy anyme.

Watch Cowboy Bebop or die. It's that simple. :D

Offline darkgoddess18

Cowboy Bebop
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 10:30:51 AM »
I watched it yesterday. it was good.

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

Cowboy Bebop
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 02:44:05 PM »
Aside from having somewhat wooden characters, Bebop is great stuff.  It has some of the best action sequences in anime as well as some of the best short stories I've ever seen.  Of course there's the great music too.

BTW my favorite episodes are Ballad of Fallen Angels, Cowboy Funk, and Speak Like a Child.

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting
    • http://www.empireofthephoenix.co.uk

Cowboy Bebop
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 02:48:01 PM »
Quote from: darkgoddess18
I watched it yesterday. it was good.

Although you were reluctant to watch it when i first proposed the idea, but when i got you to watch the movie, you liked it.

Thanks to DarkKanti for the Sig!

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

Cowboy Bebop
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 03:59:22 PM »
It's good stuff.  It's episodic, but the individual episodes are still all really interesting.  Style is almost second to none.  Music rules, and the characters are great.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

Cowboy Bebop
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 06:35:22 PM »
Cowboy Bebop is an anime that almost everybody can agree is good.  However, it's to the extent of just how good the show is that people argue about.  I believe Cowboy Bebop is a great anime.  I feel the characters are a bit underdeveloped, but other than that I can't find too much wrong with it.  A lot of people complain about how the series is too episodic, but I feel the storyline works well to convey how Spike is just drifting through life.  It's the story of  Spike's escape and eventual recapture by karma.  In that way the series is surprisingly deep.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Cowboy Bebop
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 07:13:29 AM »
...which was Griveton's theory from AA's forums. =P

My new version of my review says, " [listen, there's some serious paraphrasing here, so...] It's okay that it's episodic. The main plot only needed a few episodes. It works better this way."

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

Cowboy Bebop
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 07:20:57 AM »
Quote from: Tamashii
...which was Griveton's theory from AA's forums. =P

... which I agreed with.  I actually thought something very similar to that before ever reading Grive's thing.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

Cowboy Bebop
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 03:05:41 PM »
I think the short stories are deep enough in their own right for Cobwoy Bebop not to need some kind of "deep" explanation for the entire series.  Saying Bebop is episodic to show how Spike drifts through life is, IMO, grabbing at straws.

Offline Zirilan

Cowboy Bebop
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 12:06:47 PM »
It kicks ass period.  (I'm going to do what DK did only it goes the other way around, saying little instead of a lot. ;))

Offline JetFire

Cowboy Bebop
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 11:42:53 AM »
I love the realism in this series.  Well, the space setting isnt that realistic, but does seem like a possibility in the far future, without looking too out of hand or cheesy.  The series also focuses on a lot of great short stories (there's always something different about each episode), great action scenes, and mature characters (except Ed), and more mature humour.  It's definately a great anime that you can start off with, without being turned off by anime, because the series has a sense of realism that we can relate to.  I also agree with the fact that Spike is drifting in life, and it sort of seems like he was just waiting for the end of his life throughout the series, and didnt care whether he died or not.  Well, I guess he did care a bit, but if he died at any time during the series, he would accept it.  Didn't he ever say something like "Whatever happens, happens?".  Even if he didn't, I believe that philosophy was embedded in his mind.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

Cowboy Bebop
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2005, 08:12:04 PM »
"Spike drifting through life" is a cool theory, but is it necessary to propose it? Also, it was not quite evident that he was drifting through life; I don't believe that the episodic nature of the series was intentionally meant to emphasize on Spike "drifting". Watanabe probably just wanted a little bit of everything to fill in the space, the main story was just too short to fit a 26-episode schedule. The important thing is not that he is drifting through life, but his approach to, and point of view of, life.
Pages: [1]   Go Up