Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 08:23:47 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The two newest reviews  (Read 9362 times)

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Re: The two newest reviews
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 08:31:18 AM »
As many people have said, I find our current system a bit restrictive. We have to choose among eleven points of distinction, which causes endless grief whenever a show fits between two scores. This is why I have little qualms about giving out 10s or 0s (Though I physically can't bring myself to go to the bottom extreme). Since the system is so restricitve to begin with, why not use it all? The grading scale is quite expansive when you don't half to limit yourself to nine points of distinction just so you can have a pedestal at the top and bloody spikes at the bottom.

As for the ambiguity of the system, I think it's defined quite well. The NHRV grading scale is set up to create a bell curve. 10 to 6 is good anime. 4 to 0 is bad. 5 is the middleground where we pass the buck, shrug our shoulders and say "maybe".

Okay, I admit that we have a top heavy bell; we just lack the manpower and the iron will to balance out our library.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 02:48:59 PM »
Expect it happening soon. Last Summer I spent my sweet time watching all the unlicensed.  Gundams. This Summer, I intend I finding all the horrible titles I can find, just for fun, I'll be sure to review all of them.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 10:20:26 PM »
All that the 10 means is that it's "as good as it gets", just like the text in the little yellow scale bar says. Nowhere does it say that the anime is perfect and as you said nothing is ever perfect, it's just the reviewers way of saying that the flaws were so miniscule that they didn't really detract from the series. Sure a 9 could be warranted but if Bebop is better than most series that we've given a 9 to, why doesn't it deserve a 10?

/end atrocious semi-drunken grammar

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 09:16:38 AM »
Quote from: Shadowmage
As many people have said, I find our current system a bit restrictive. We have to choose among eleven points of distinction, which causes endless grief whenever a show fits between two scores. This is why I have little qualms about giving out 10s or 0s (Though I physically can't bring myself to go to the bottom extreme). Since the system is so restricitve to begin with, why not use it all? The grading scale is quite expansive when you don't half to limit yourself to nine points of distinction just so you can have a pedestal at the top and bloody spikes at the bottom.
You see, now I understand why you can give NANA a 10 argumentatively.

For me, I understand that since it's a 11-point scale, better use all of them but to rate an excellent anime a 10 even though one knows it doesn't deserve so is the big problem here. That 10-point mark (or 0 for that matter) is always something people would love to give for his/her favorite anime, but deep inside they know that this anime have certain flaws that can't go ignored.

Sometimes I find myself scratching my head on how Honey and Clover II and NANA can get a 10 whereas Monster, Mushishi and Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (which by the way, I personally believe WARRANTS a 10-point grade) a 9 instead. I'm not saying that it's your fault; it's just that the good grade system does have its trade-off.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up