Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

November 19, 2017, 09:18:19 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did 3D ruin the superhero game?  (Read 3688 times)

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting
    • http://www.empireofthephoenix.co.uk

Did 3D ruin the superhero game?
« on: August 03, 2005, 12:54:35 PM »
This has been stewin in my head for a while and thought:

Given the general decline in quality of superhero games over the years, do you think the onset of 3d gaming ruin the superhero game?

For example look how poor Batman and Superman games have been since they started using 3D. And then look at the old 2D superhero games and you see an improvement in quality.

The only exception i can think off is Spiderman.

What are your thoughts on the subject? (sorry if this doesn't make since as it sounded better in my head)

Thanks to DarkKanti for the Sig!

Offline ReadorDie

• Teh Newbie Reviewer

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 02:24:00 PM »
I disagree.  It's like any genre, some are bad and some are good.  X Men-Legends and Spider Man(1 and 2, if you ask me) are good, but Superman: Shadow of Apokolyps and Batman aren't.  It's pretty even if you ask me.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 12:03:05 AM »
There are plenty of examples of new super hero games out that use 3D that are great (my personal favorite being X Men Legends).  Superman 64 was one of the worst games ever made, and there were quite a few good 2D super hero games (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time being my favorite of those).  But for the most part I feel superhero games are often hastily made to get out in time for the movie release because that is when it'll peak in sales.  I don't really feel 2D or 3D has much to do with it.  Now fighting games is an entirely other story where 2D completely owns 3D.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 08:41:05 AM »
Quote from: DarkKanti
Now fighting games is an entirely other story where 2D completely owns 3D.

No.

I agree that superhero games are in decline.  Maximum Carnage was the best superhero game ever.  I haven't seen any really good superhero games in a looooong time.

Offline JetFire

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 09:09:19 PM »
Pretty much every superhero game I've ever played is terrible, with some exceptions.   I loved Marvel vs Capcom 2 (it had superheroes in it).  Fighting as Spiderman, Iron Man and Wolverine has never been so much fun.  Spiderman on the Playstation was also very fun in it's time.  The first Spiderman movie game on the XBox wasnt bad as well.  And Batman Returns on the Sega Genesis was pretty good, but also pretty frusterating.  Other than that, I havnt played many good superhero games.  They can be good, if it can translate well into a game, and isnt really made to cash in on a movie (the first Spiderman on the playstation was just made out of the blue.  There was no movie coming out, which meant that they could take their time making it).

Offline Taleweaver

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 03:16:51 PM »
Er, how do you qualify City of Heroes, easily one of the best superhero games ever, AND 3D?
Pages: [1]   Go Up