Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 16, 2017, 05:19:35 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Influencial Game nominations  (Read 3087 times)

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting
    • http://www.empireofthephoenix.co.uk

Influencial Game nominations
« on: July 27, 2005, 12:24:06 PM »
The purpose of this thread is give me options for a poll which will come later.

What game do you think has made the most impact on video game society?

Okay, first of all, this is NOT a favourite game topic, you may hate a game but you couldn't deny its impact on video games. When I mean impact, I mean how it affected Video Games which came after it. For example....

1)Tetris has mostly set the bench mark for all puzzle games
2)Pac Man- basically without Pac man I don't think the Video game industry would have survived.

I have already several games which have a semi-permanent spot on the upcoming poll its you job to give more suggestions: If you don't like any of the automatic poll options then just post and say!

Automatic Entries

Super Mario Brothers 1
Pac Man
Sonic 1
Final fantasy 1

In conclusion this thread is to allow you to voice your opinions on the games you feel should be on the poll..

N.B One final note, Games from the current generation of consoles cannot be nominated as i feel that they haven't been out long enough to make enough of an impact on the gaming industry.
I hope that came out clearly enough!!

Thanks to DarkKanti for the Sig!

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 12:32:35 PM »
I dunno about influential games really. I know Mario started the system craze, so that was obviously pretty influential.

And GTA:SA is obviously influential to a point, just going in the wrong direction.

*is not a hardcore gamer XD

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 01:41:36 PM »
Prince of Persia (PS, NES)  It was one of the first games to be ported to different systems due to its popularity and was surprisingly realistic for its time and set a new high in human characteristics in games.

*is a hardcore gamer

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 10:51:24 PM »
- Half-life re-introduced the FPS genre with more realism and emphasis on atmosphere, a true first for the genre.

- Starcraft's creative concepts, gameplay, and brilliant interface did a shaking-up of the RTS genre and it has never been the same since.

- Final Fantasy 7 is one of the first RPG games to use "FMV"s and emphasize on extensive play (aka 60+ hours). Every Final Fantasy (except for 11) has been like that since.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 05:40:14 AM »
Super Mario 64, for being such a revolution in 3D platforming.

Offline JetFire

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 01:27:37 PM »
Super Mario 64 - The most influential game that defined 3D gaming.  It was the most well-rounded 3D game of it's time.  It did the same thing for 3D, that Super Mario Bros on NES did for 2D gaming.

Goldeneye 64 - It wasnt one of the first person shooter, but it did set the bar of quality for many other First Person Shooters.

Zelda: The Ocarina of Time - It pretty much revolutionized the 3D genre as much as Super Mario 64 did, but on a grander scale.  Considered by many to be the best Zelda Game of all time.

Sonic 2 - This game really put Sega in motion.  While Sonic the Hedgehog did seem fast, Sonic 2 seemed much faster, offered the revved up Spin Dash, and gave cooperative play.  It gave many gamers a reason to buy a Genesis, and is known by many to be the best Sonic game around (only can be rivaled by the original Sonic, or Sonic CD).

Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) - Set the bar for 3D fighting games.   It had weapons, many different characters, a huge quest mode, and innovative control, which redifined the 3D fighting genre.
Pages: [1]   Go Up