Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 09:41:26 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Save the Green Planet!  (Read 3328 times)

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

Save the Green Planet!
« on: October 24, 2006, 12:05:06 AM »
Since Mouse's thread discussed a Korean movie I thought it'd be okay if I did too.   :)

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-w/section-videos/pid-1004415829/

Summary:
This is a jaw-droppingly bizarre movie from Korea that mixes scenes of gruesome torture and violence with comedy and heartbreaking profundity. Perhaps as a result of too many amphetamines and violent incidents in his past, beekeeper Lee Byeong Gu (Sin Ha-Gyun) has become convinced that an unscrupulous business tycoon (Kan Man-Shik) is actually an alien from the planet Andromeda. Lee's frumpy acrobat girlfriend (Hwang Jung-Min) helps him abduct the "alien" and torture him into confessing. Meanwhile, a hangdog detective is following a trail leading to Lee's hideout high in the mountains. Let the timid be warned: this is not the antipollution comedy that the title might indicate. Man's inhumanity to man is certainly depicted--as in events like Korea's 1980 Kwangju riots--but there's more going on here than any one summation could describe: bees attack, a pet dog named Earth dines on human remains, alternate theories of evolution are posited (i.e. Noah's Ark was a deep submarine carrying DNA samples); an entire lifetime of films, political turmoil, anime and manga are boiled down and distilled into one profound, multi-textual allegory. Adventurous viewers will be in for one hell of a ride, as this film dares go where few have gone before, yet it does so with heart and intellect to match its wicked humor and headlong momentum.

I just saw this movie and it was freakin' weird.  Definately in a good way though.  The movie always keeps you guessing as to what is going to happen next and on the edge of your seat.  It is also widly funny in a very sick and twisted sense.  

Have you seen this movie?  If you have, what did you think?  If you haven't you should definatel go check it out.  It's not for the feint of heart, but it is definately fun.

:>

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

Re: Save the Green Planet!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 04:16:25 AM »
Sort of late to reply, but yea, this was one awesome film : D It's sick, twisted, disturbing, bizarre, but damn it's funny and tense. If you can stomach some twisted stuff, this is a hilarious dark comedy that also succeeds in playing a moving drama towards the end.

And the main character is one of the most twisted, well-analysed and interesting character I've seen in film. He's a Korean actor known for his stellar acting skills (I remember him from Host and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeancep, two other more famous K-films, he was brilliant there too).
Pages: [1]   Go Up