Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 05:40:23 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!

Poll

Ball pit?

Yes.
7 (87.5%)
Yes.
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ball Pit  (Read 6624 times)

Offline Ariani

Ball Pit
« on: December 14, 2007, 12:30:55 PM »
Some friends of mine and I used to make plans for an "adult-sized" Leaps & Bounds, something fun to think about while passing the time. We all thought it would be a damn cool idea, although deep down we knew something like that could never make it in our society. It wasn't until I started reading Randall Monroe's XKCD that I began to formulate ideas for an in home ball pit (this strip in particular), not quite as grand of a scale as previous plans, but something smaller and more personal.

His blag post of his own ball-pit-making schemes seems to have cemented the idea in my head. At this moment, I am seriously considering buying the balls and building a ball pit inside my apartment.

Pros:
AWESOME.
Fulfilling a lifelong dream, of sort
Tossing cat in the ball pit has to be fun
AWESOME enough for
Not as difficult to maintain as I had originally thought.
Great conversation starter.
Ball pit sex, now in the convenience of my own home!
Balls are light enough that they can be transported to parties, events, and even on the road for conventions.
Did I mention AWESOME?

Cons:
Expensive (According to the ball pit calculator, it would cost around $600 to make a ball pit a bit larger than the size of my current couch, including peripherals [some sort of fence/cage~ish material for an exclosure, netting for easy ball removal, etc.])
Small living space (I'm in a 2-bedroom apartment)
Roommates may object to the idea (not that I care what they think, but still...)

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 12:34:23 PM by Ariani »

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Re: Ball Pit
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 12:36:50 PM »
@_@

It would be awsome.  Who cares about anonymous's 70 inch television when you have a ball pit?  Expect a lot of uninvited guests to the party you never knew about.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Ariani

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 12:39:18 PM »
I'm always up for meeting mew people. And, hey, maybe if I make all guests, invited or not, bring a ball or two to add to the pit, it could help with my costs.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 04:20:07 PM »
I subscribe to the philosophy of a major heartless multinational company that runs sweatshops is Cambodia.  Just do it.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 04:28:38 PM »
Thats a lot more expensive than I thought it would be.  I mean, you wouldn't think a few thousand plastic would cost so much.

Would be a really fun idea though.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 09:30:28 PM »
Only if I get to pee in the ball pit.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 10:23:51 PM »
Choking little children on balls? Meeting new people?

Like SM said, who cares about a nice TV?

Do it.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline Ariani

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 05:42:16 AM »
Quote from: DarkKanti
Thats a lot more expensive than I thought it would be.  I mean, you wouldn't think a few thousand plastic would cost so much.

Would be a really fun idea though.

Part of the reason for the expense is getting crush-proof balls over their more-easily-crushable cousins. While the cheaper balls would be, well, cheaper, they're a lot more likely to get destroyed, and therefore less fun and more expensive in the long run once I have to start replacing them.

It takes a lot of balls, too, more than you would expect. Even though you're paying maybe $0.20 or less per ball, you have to account that you need about 60 balls just to fill 1 cubic foot of ball pit.

And no one gets to pee in the ball pit. It's going to be quite a job just to clean it out from non-peeing messes.

And I do find the "nice TV" comments kind of funny, since the only TV I have is a cheap piece of shit that was a display model at Target, and I don't even get channels on it; I just use it for anime and video games...
Pages: [1]   Go Up