Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 10:20:41 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Japanese Cinema Class  (Read 5173 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Japanese Cinema Class
« on: November 11, 2007, 03:13:22 AM »
I'm going to be taking a Japanese Cinema and History class next semester, along with an Anime class (which is tentative...I might switch in an Italian Cinema class for the Anime slot). I'll post frequently on what I learn and my thoughts, and also share some very brief reviews on the films that we watch in class. At the moment I'm taking a Chinese Film studies class that is heavily underlined by discussions of globalization and nationalism, which tends to make the class fall in the 'boring slot' of categorization.

Anyone else taking anything Japanese related?

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: Japanese Cinema Class
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 04:57:44 PM »
I am teaching a Japanese Animation as Literature class next semester as my Senior Project.

I'll be interested in what titles your Cinema class looks at and how it is taught. I'm going to teach points of Japanese culture via anime, but I'd be interested in hearing how these things are addressed when looking at Japanese cinema.
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 02:16:42 AM »
I do not know how helpful what I learn will be to your class, as it will be annoyingly "college" level. But you're a bright kid, so I know you can handle it. My class begins the 19th of January and ends on the 5th of May.

I also noticed that our Editorial section could use a number of articles. I would convert any essays I write that are helpful for the site, like Kuma has.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 08:49:48 PM by Tamashii »

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 12:04:51 AM »
This is silly, but, I registered 10 hours late, and hence lost any chance of getting into the Japanese Cinema or Anime class, both of which have one of the longest waitlists in the university (10 and 16, at the moment, respectively). I will update if I do get into one of the classes, but it seems very unlikely with a 10 person waitlist, hell it is very unlikely even with a 3 person waitlist. If a course like that fills up that fast, the quality is more than likely high, and thus few will be dropping it...So sadly, until further notice, this thread is nulled.

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 07:24:59 PM »
*bumps* XD

I am taking a Japanese Film History Class in the Fall Quarter along with Beginning Japanese II. There's also an anime class at my school that was offered during Winter quarter I think...I'm not sure if it was offered for the Fall. But I had 18 credits already and so I wouldn't be able to take it if I didn't want to pay extra for the credits.
When in doubt, speak Italian and sing "Seven Nation Army"

Offline Ainsley09

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 09:31:32 AM »
In Gotham Knight, Ramirez seems to be a stand-hard goodguy, while in The Dark Knight, it's revealed she's corrupt. Watching the movie this REALLY bothered and confused me. Also, it's worth mentioning that in The Dark Knight, no mention is made regarding The Scarecrow's hold on the homeless.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:48:38 AM »
Not sure if bot.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.
Pages: [1]   Go Up