Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 13, 2017, 11:15:25 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monster  (Read 6625 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Monster
« on: September 09, 2008, 06:44:47 AM »
Hey, anyone else thought this was a fantastic manga? It was so concise, had no plot holes, and was just riveting. I've never read something that felt so much like a one-shot with every page but actually has 162 chapters (in other words, every page was thought out and organized very well, no filler, a quality found in one-shots). I haven't read much Urasawa, but this is his best work. 20th Century Boys was great, and has a very unique touch, but Monster easily tops it for being so well-executed and planned.

I've only seen ten episodes of the anime, but I don't think I want to get back into it (I saw those ten, stopped, and now after three years, started and finished the manga). The manga is just too good, I doubt the anime did it complete justice.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Monster
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 06:59:32 AM »
I thought that the anime did the manga enough justice by staying faithful to the source. The story sequence, suspense, tension... even the drawing is the same. In fact, the anime series did more by giving each character a great seiyuu and haunting music to boot.

Give the anime another try, and maybe you'll see why people like SK and myself have ranked Monster as one of the best you can get.

Offline zzeroparticle

• NEET
  • Reviewer
    • Google+
    • zzeroparticle's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with zzeroparticle using Skype
    • Steam Community :: zzeroparticle
    • @zzeroparticle
    • http://blog.animeinstrumentality.net/

Re: Monster
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 07:42:37 AM »
Agreed with AC.  As someone who's read the manga and seen the anime, I can assure you that the anime does not skimp out in any way and actually does a very good job of following the manga pretty religiously.  I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you enjoyed the manga and missed out on the anime adaptation because of how well it's done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up