Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 03:14:08 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ever 17  (Read 13223 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Re: Ever 17
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 04:22:19 PM »
Akira is guilty of crimes that he condemn! He almost tried to threadjack, too!

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 05:39:08 PM »
Holy crap, I turn around for one minute....

I played through the game for what felt like ten hours, only to get the BAD END, so I'm rather unmotivated about it now.  I've heard that some of the ends are BAAAWW-worthy, which is why I eventually want to play through them, but I tend to find myself doing other things when I have nothing else to do right now.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 03:52:13 PM »
Months and months after I started playing... bump.

I finally finished it.  The first four paths are ok, nothing brilliant, not really all that satisfying.  The final, true ending, however, is a masterpiece.  I think I need a bit more time to reflect on it before I can find the words to describe it.  But it just completely bowled me over.

Highly, highly recommended to all.  If you read it, wade through the first four arcs, even if you don't find them all that great, since the final path is worth it and then some.

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 12:45:15 AM »
Too bad Hirameki is now out of business...

*me cries.*
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 03:03:15 PM »
The final arc actually impressed me dearly. I've never seen complexity of this level in any medium aside from Hamlet. This game is a masterpiece.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 03:06:12 PM »
The final arc actually impressed me dearly. I've never seen complexity of this level in any medium aside from Hamlet. This game is a masterpiece.
I'm not quite prepared to call it a masterpiece, since I did have a few problems with the first four arcs.  But it is absolutely outstanding, and the best VN I've ever read.  My review here.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 03:17:26 PM »
I'm not quite prepared to call it a masterpiece, since I did have a few problems with the first four arcs.  But it is absolutely outstanding, and the best VN I've ever read.  My review here.

I share the somewhat the same sentiments as you for the first four arcs upon my first playthrough, but by the time I got to Kid's arcs after playing both of Takeshi's arcs, I had already started noticing discrepancies that started jumping out at me.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I won't go as far to say that I became aware of Blickwinkel's existence before it was revealed, but I pretty much figured out the fact that these arcs took place at different times and the existence of a 4th dimensional entity.

However, I'm willing to call the game as a whole a masterpiece because, upon my second playthrough of the game, I found that the first four arcs actually don't "keep their cards close" as much as you say. I don't just mean the philosophical talks. After my second playthrough, I think I can say that it has enough clues in there to completely figure the whole thing out before playing Coco's arc.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 12:12:34 AM »
Just finished my second playthrough of this gem of a game, so I figured I'd give out some thoughts on the matter and see if anyone remembers this thread exists. A few things jump out to me...

One: The hints in the Kid’s stories were so strong, I feel like an idiot for not realizing the major plot twist and thinking it was something else.
Two: Even though I should, I rarely ever got bored playing any of the routes (Sora was the weakest though).
Three: Some reveals in the plot I thought weren’t hinted at actually were.
Four: Tsugumi remains my favorite female character in the game and the drama surrounding her never failed to get an emotional response out of me.
Five: Several unanswered questions I think I can answer (Even if there is zero proof to back some of it up.)
And six: The resolution did break up my suspension of disbelief. I can’t deny that.
Spoiler for Hiden:
I could somewhat justify it with the logic of the cure syndrome, but it still is shaky at best.

But despite that, I still absolutely love this game. Even if I played more solid games and even if I didn't find the ending perfect, it's still my favorite VN. It was the VN that clued me in to what a great medium VNs could be and it's a story that I won't forget.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 04:49:07 PM by MCAL »

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 02:38:13 AM »
I actually haven't finished this game (on the last route) I haven't been able to bring myself to finish. It's just so incredibly slow and the girls routes are pretty darn underwhelming (Takashi's had some ok moments, but the kid's routes are just plain bland and lacking). As you can imagine I'm not really seeing what makes this game so special, even if the ending is brilliant (haven't seen this). Plus I expect some cheezy happy go lucky ending anyway, so I doubt it can make that strong of an impact on me. The only characters that really stand out are Sora and Tsugumi for me. Granted I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's still far superior than most anime and manga stories. It's just very hard for me to keep any interest in it.

Though the extreme sexual innuendo scene in Sara's path was hilarious as hell I won't lie.

I think I'm spoiled because I played so many later awesome VN's so maybe I've just gotten too picky these days.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:49:57 AM by hyperknees91 »

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 03:04:18 AM »
The only thing that I'm still a little angry about is that Hirameki had a huge typo in its translation of You's route that spoiled part of Coco's route for me, but darn Coco's route is so much better than the rest of the game combined. Made the whole experience worth it, in my opinion.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 11:12:50 PM »
I actually haven't finished this game (on the last route) I haven't been able to bring myself to finish. It's just so incredibly slow and the girls routes are pretty darn underwhelming (Takashi's had some ok moments, but the kid's routes are just plain bland and lacking). As you can imagine I'm not really seeing what makes this game so special, even if the ending is brilliant (haven't seen this). Plus I expect some cheezy happy go lucky ending anyway, so I doubt it can make that strong of an impact on me. The only characters that really stand out are Sora and Tsugumi for me. Granted I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's still far superior than most anime and manga stories. It's just very hard for me to keep any interest in it.

Though the extreme sexual innuendo scene in Sara's path was hilarious as hell I won't lie.

I think I'm spoiled because I played so many later awesome VN's so maybe I've just gotten too picky these days.

Play the last route (Coco). There is a great chance to change your mind and make the entire experience worthwhile. And trust you don't know nothing about the ending if you think this way, (unless that you have read spoilers)

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 04:09:05 AM »

Play the last route (Coco). There is a great chance to change your mind and make the entire experience worthwhile. And trust you don't know nothing about the ending if you think this way, (unless that you have read spoilers)

So it's one of those ending loaded games eh? I guess after I finish reading swan song I can, and I'll update if I completely change my mind (and knowing me it's certainly possible).

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 11:04:52 PM »
The only thing that I'm still a little angry about is that Hirameki had a huge typo in its translation of You's route that spoiled part of Coco's route for me, but darn Coco's route is so much better than the rest of the game combined. Made the whole experience worth it, in my opinion.

Look at the bright side, I know two people who would have dropped the game if they didn't give away a huge hint during You's arc. The spoiler is essence was what actually gave them the motivation to actually continue playing (since you know...for most people not used to VNs, the first four arcs are pretty gruelling).

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 02:45:05 PM »
So it did have the cheezy happy go lucky ending I was expecting. Though it was a very good cheezy happy go lucky ending so I'm not too displeased.

As a story it was pretty great, loved the plot twist at the end and all the clues that built up to it. I do think the main weakness of the VN is that none of the characters really stand out (other than Tsugumi) and You and Sara's routes are a good bit weaker than the rest (they serve as puzzle pieces but don't really stand on their own).

So yeah overall it was a good experience, not the best by a mile but a nice clever plot. I can tell where Steins Gate came up with it's ending now.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up