Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 12:08:06 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minami-ke  (Read 11733 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Minami-ke
« on: October 14, 2007, 10:47:02 AM »
Episode 1:

Okay, the series (or at least the first episode) screams of boredom. I don't know, but to me the whole episode feels like one right out of Lucky Star for some reason... only less kawaii. Nothing seems to be interesting about this, and for that I may consider throwing this one out.

What do you think?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Minami-ke
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 05:04:02 AM »
Episode 1:

Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh....

I found myself smiling quite often here.  I think you're off base a bit, AC.  Yeah, it's slice of life-ish, but with more zanyness.  I'm digging the sisters already and it's only been one episode.

In short, this has win written all over it.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 08:27:51 PM »
Episode 1

ROFL

You can't possibly understand how funny the pancake gag is unless you've actually seen someone try to cook pancakes wholesale in a giant vat.  Trust me, it doesn't work.

A good number of jokes are the same "you had to be there" type of gags from Lucky Star but they are nowhere near as niche oriented, nor is that the only type of humor.  A good deal of the comedy comes from physical actions brought to life by a truly dynamic camera.  Solid animation, solid script, likeable characters.  I like what I see.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 02:56:40 AM »
Episode 2:

The reason why this works so much better then Lucky Star or even Azumanga Daioh is you have three siblings, three different personalities, three different levels of school, and thus three ways to create hilarity.

If you want the highschool shit, you've got Haruka and her class of older teenage coming of age stuff and more worldly humor.

If you want middleschool shit, you've got Kana and her class of insecure and uncomfortable adolescants and more immature humor.

If you want gradeschool shit, you've got Chiaki and her class of relative nitwits and their naive humor.

Then you get the sisters together, and just let the three levels of differences clash.  Chiaki's "matter of fact" style  rivals with Kana who acts mature but doesn't know nearly as much shit as Haruka who talks a big game but is too concerned about Chiaki's innocence to really stay anything about it.  It's a very humorous look at sibling balance.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 04:27:58 AM »
Is it really as good as it turns out to be? I'm intrigued :\

Maybe it's because I'm not much into slice-of-life like Lucky Star or sort but I think I'll re-consider it. I don't know whether it'll make a diff eventually; crossing my fingers at this point.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 03:39:10 AM »
Episode 3:

A little less funny, but still goddamned entertaining.

Episode 4:

Won hard.  I fell in love with Hosaka-senpai almost immediately.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 04:06:03 AM »
The Sensei and Ninomiya-kun game was brilliant!  I must have that game!

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 06:19:36 AM »
"Sensei! Sensei!"

"Ninomiya-kun! Ninomiya-kun!"

"KYAHHH!!!" "NINOMIYA-KUN~!!!"
BAD END
That was the cheesiest game I've ever seen... but (or which is why???) it is astoundingly addictive. I think I'm already liking this series all over.

Offline zzeroparticle

• NEET
  • Reviewer
    • Google+
    • zzeroparticle's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with zzeroparticle using Skype
    • Steam Community :: zzeroparticle
    • @zzeroparticle
    • http://blog.animeinstrumentality.net/

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 12:23:17 PM »
Episode 4 was definitely a step up from 3.  The video game scene definitely floored me just because of how it parodies those game compilations with a common character theme to them.  That it revolves around a ridiculous premise makes it all the better.  Tohsaka's delusions were also great fun to watch and I'm really interested in seeing how his hot-bloodedness will carry the strength of Haruka's segment in terms of comedy from here on out.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 07:44:46 AM »
Episode 5:

Haruka-neesama is amazing... ;_;

Episode 6:

My God... that was so wrong... and so funny...

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 11:19:37 AM »
Episode 6

"Ninomiya-kun!"

Okay, the gag wasn't all that great, but it got a laugh from me.  I thought that this would be another ho-hum episode after that, but it seems that the creators are finally starting go somewhere with the comedy.  The crossdressing scheme raised an eyebrow at first, but it just got better and better as the episode went on.  Anways,  holy crap Haruka!    :3

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 06:38:00 AM »
Episode 7:

The Ninomiya-kun / Sensei running gag is starting to get really humorous.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 08:04:02 AM »
Episode 7:

That has to be the best melodrama satire yet ("Not another car!"), and much LOLZ to the change in artwork of the facial expressions.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 12:26:24 PM »
I have a question. Minami-ke is the only series this season I haven't started watching. Should I pick this up?
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 07:35:03 PM »
It's cute and funny in a not obvious pie in the face kind of way.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 10:22:15 PM »
Episode 7

For now, the general pattern of Minami-ke seems to be

1st half: Generic gags.

Half point:Ninomiya-Kun!

2nd half: Coherent gags that get better and better.

Kurier, watch episode 4 of Minami-ke at the very least.  It has one of the best stand alone gags I've seen in a long time.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 04:58:12 AM »
Episode 8:

Words cannot describe how awesome Hosaka-sempai is. He's just so... deliciously insane.

Don't feel bad about blowing bubbles with gum, Kana... I can't do it either... but I'm dying... and crying here... from laughter... ;_;

No Ninomiya-kun and Sensei this week.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 10:03:14 PM »
Episode 8

Woah, white crows flying to Bach's Air on the G string?  Is that you Eva?

I was worried that Hosaka would be become one of those annoying characters that just won't go away.  After this episode, I'm glad to see that I only want more of him than ever.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 08:58:11 AM »
Lolz at the white crows gag and his 'simulations' on his advancements towards Haruka. The Spanish guitar riffs as his BGM makes it all worthwhile too. And I don't mind that this episode doesn't feature Ninomiya/Sensei, because Hosaka steals the limelight this time 'round.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 08:11:15 AM »
I don't mean to double-post but... meh

Episode 09:

Meh, this episode's a far cry from the brilliance of its last one. No Ninomiya-Sensei, no Hosaka... now I know how invaluable they are. There are some chuckling moments - like one about Kana and Chiaki discussing about Kana's idiocy till the wee hours - but they aren't as gut-busting as some previous episodes.

Another thing - This episode has the greatest opening line yet:

"This is a story about three sisters in the Minami family who have failed to get a role in Lucky Star. Thankfully, Lucky Star sucked. Also, please ensure that the lights are dim and tissues are 3 meters within reach in order for your parents not to discover what you are doing."

*AC awaits Akira's response

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 06:56:54 AM »
Quote from: AC
"This is a story about three sisters in the Minami family who have failed to get a role in Lucky Star. Thankfully, Lucky Star sucked. Also, please ensure that the lights are dim and tissues are 3 meters within reach in order for your parents not to discover what you are doing."

Fansubbers = stupid.  Seriously, I know it's boring to just subtitle the opening disclaimer thingy as is, but they're not funny at all.  I figure someone must have bitched at them to just translate it directly, which explains why episode 8's was VERY literal.  Fansubbers don't like you questioning their power, and they usually respond in such ways.  Frankly, I'd prefer it if they dropped the utter forcing of humor just for the sake of humor.  Inevitably they're going to run out of shit to put there, and it's going to look pathetic.  Better they quit while they're behind.

You wanna be a comedian writer?  I hear they're hiring scabs in Hollywood right now.

Anyway, SK seems to have soured on this one a bit, and I wonder why.  The humor still works, on a very subtle level at times, but it still works.  It's not as obvious as Hayate no Gotoku nor is it as reference laden as Lucky Star, and that's probably why I liked it.  It's the characters being funny; the material is what is important.

Well, sure, there's still plenty of visual gags, but the way they pull them off with a very sudden "punchline" makes them funny to me.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 04:20:05 PM »
I find it sporadically funny, but too many of the jokes miss for me.  Hosaka should have been way more funny than he was, and this ep was rather meh.

It all reminds me of Ichigo Mashimaro, funny at first, but running out of legs.  It's still lol-worthy, but just not as much as it was earlier on.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2007, 07:26:23 AM »
Episode 10:

First of all, yabadabadoo! for the comeback:

Spoiler for Hiden:
[/size]Sensei! Ninomiya-kun! [/size]
Sensei! Ninomiya-kun!
Sensei! Ninomiya-kun!
Sen... Ninomiya-kun!!!
[/size]
Now on to the episode... what a hilarious mess. A cross-dressing boy Mako-chan clashes against cross-dressing girl Touma, not before probably the most incoherent yet side-stitching quarrel between Touma and Chiaki. This is a huge recovery from otherwise the lacklustre previous episode.

PS: I lulz at the un-common knowledge of peeling an egg before cooking it. I lulz hard and loud.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 06:08:57 AM »
Episode 10:

The Trap and Reverse Trap.  IM SO CONFUSED.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 06:09:01 AM »
Episode 11:

Okay... Fact:

The Minami Sisters and the Minami Brothers should have been involved with each other from the start.  The fact we had to wait 11 episodes for this pile of golden fun opportunity is inexcusable.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 07:19:39 AM »
I thought so too but meh, 'should-haves-but-didn't' instances happen.

Episode 11:

Has anyone notice the different approach the subbers take for this episode in its opening log? :B

Like the Powerpuff Girls to the Rowdyruff Boys, we now have a new trio - The Minami brothers. Here, I'll put my thoughts in point form for easy reading:
  • I lol'ed so hard on Haruka low-pitching her voice over phone. The cry by the Minami brother over the phone was priceless.
  • Sweat-drenching Hosaka's back! And he now has a new rival (... or ally, whichever), nose-bleeding Natsuki.
  • That sleazebag Natsuki... that face-to-boob act was so intentional >__>
  • Haruka looks so cute when she's mad *___*

And props to the 'Soap-for-Present' gag. I personally know; it's never a good idea to give bathroom items for gifts... always give the wrong impression.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 10:32:35 AM »
Yes, that was hilarious.  Funniest episode since the trap first appeared.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2007, 04:22:18 AM »
12:

I swear to God, if we don't get more Minami-brothers screen time in the second season I'll scream.  They have their running gags which is unfortunate, but they're still funny right now.  I don't know what's more amazing; their stupidity or Touma's ability to completely ignore whatever they're saying until a tsukkomi is necessary.

I loved the oldest brother's bullshit about his girlfriend playing soccer being one of her charm points, then he nonchalantly admits the whole thing being a lie.

I have a dumb question, though.  When did Kana and the new Bunchou get friendly enough to invite him over to their house and / or to be asked favors of (playing Santa Claus, for example).  I thought Kana was in deep rival mode with him, and he the ultra obsessive love interest.  Meh, whatever moves the stories along.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2008, 06:38:25 AM »
13: final.

I didn't really expect a "final" anything anyway, so it's just another episode really.  Well, one thing was given closure:  Ninomiya-kun and Sensei finally....

oh no spoilers... I'd be such a bastard if I let the cat out the bag!  But you do have to put up with a 10 hour special for their final episode.  Yessir, 10 hours.  You can handle that, right?

I'm actually worried for the second series.  I knew the character designs and animation were going to be completely different, but it looks like they're taking this down a gratuitous fanservice route, which doesn't sit well with me.  Sure, there really wasn't anything amazing about these first 13 episodes.  I thought they were funny and quite entertaining, but there really wasn't anything cheap about it.  Slapstick humor, sure, but it made sense.  They did a couple of episodes with Haruka exposing herself, but everytime they did it fit in well with one of the themes of the episode, so it never felt forced.  I dunno, maybe I'm just worried we're going to see too much of the traps.

Though Hosaka-sempai can keep showing off hsi manly sweaty chest all he wants.  God that guy makes me die with laughter.  He and the second Minami brother are just this perfect tandem of retarded.  For this episode, tho, I'm afraid Hosaka got upstaged by the "phone tag" segment.  By the end, two characters were contemplating suicide while the other somehow maintains his simplistic optimism.  Only Kana can **** up three people at the same time.

I want some of that juice.

Anyway, to put a final thought on this whole thing:  Fun, but not amazing.  It was 13 episodes of chuckles, smiles, and at least one hoarse roar of laughter from me each episode.  Some of it didn't work, some of it worked really well, but I can never say I wasn't entertained.  In the end, isn't that what it's all about?

7 / 10.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 03:19:50 PM »
Yeah, I agree with most of that.  It got a bit slow in the middle, but the final few episodes were really funny.  It's not the wittiest thing I've ever seen, but it is a lot of fun and it knows how to build to a punchline.  A decent watch in the end, and still funny right to the end, which is pretty rare in anime comedies.

Not looking forward to the next season, though.  With the director of Shuffle! involved, my expectations are rock bottom.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 11:12:23 PM »
D'oh, it's the final episode already and I still haven't gotten enough of the fun. Here's my thoughts in point form:
  • The opening monologue in a thick-accented English... wtf!?
  • Yoshino claims her mother saying that it's customary for a girl to take off her underwear while wearing a kimono... is that right...? Or is this one of those 'Azu's Osaka' moments?
  • Hosaka = megastar of Minami-ke. Did he unbutton his shirt during cooking because it's hot or that he just loves caressing himself while dreaming? And what kind of a hero cycles around and stands on top of a cliff bare-chested amidst freezing winter!?
  • Ninomiya-kun/Sensei... one scene sees Ninomiya-kun/doll jumps off the cliff (with the car as cameo) and the next sees the two married... ???
  • What goes around comes around
Overall, I had a blast watching Minami-ke... which was a stark difference from what I originally thought on my first impression during the first episode. I was glad watching at the credits... until I saw ~ Okawari ~. The future of Minami-ke has never looked so bleak.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 12:05:08 AM »
Quote from: AC
The opening monologue in a thick-accented English... wtf!?

That's fansubbers being fagsubbers. Every one of those public service announcements at the beginning were fagged up by Ayako for lulz. It was retarded and distracting but I'm sure they thought it was cool because it got them unnecessary attention.

Sub the damn thing, you faggots. I don't want your dipshit humor forcing me to skip the opening section to get to the intro song (which I like) only to miss horribly and end up halfway through it. Seriously Ayako, **** you faggots and your 4chan pandantry. No, I don't have to watch your shit, and if you keep that crap up, I wont.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 01:06:11 AM »
And now something that's totally not fagged up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0nfQfjkySQ&feature=related

Epic.  Legendary.  Just too awesome.  Hosaka is king.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 05:05:18 AM »
Quote from: TypicalIdiotFan
That's fansubbers being fagsubbers. Every one of those public service announcements at the beginning were fagged up by Ayako for lulz. It was retarded and distracting but I'm sure they thought it was cool because it got them unnecessary attention.

Sub the damn thing, you faggots. I don't want your dipshit humor forcing me to skip the opening section to get to the intro song (which I like) only to miss horribly and end up halfway through it. Seriously Ayako, **** you faggots and your 4chan pandantry. No, I don't have to watch your shit, and if you keep that crap up, I wont.

Quoted for Truth.  That shit annoyed me throughout the series.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up