Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 07:00:28 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adult Swim Shows  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Tsureie

• Stranger in Paradise

Adult Swim Shows
« on: August 13, 2007, 06:39:29 PM »
Fav. shows of the one & only Adult Swim, Mine so far are Blood Plus, Bleach(sometimes), Family Guy, Futurama & Robot Chicken.

Use to like Inuyasha & Full Metal Alchemist but they soon became annoying, wat's yours? D:
Its US against the WORLD

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: Adult Swim Shows
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 08:45:35 PM »
I use to watch Fullmetal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell; however, now that both of those series are over and I don't have a TV in my room anymore, I don't want much [as].
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline Tsureie

• Stranger in Paradise

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:18:21 PM »
Quote from: Kurier
I use to watch Fullmetal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell; however, now that both of those series are over and I don't have a TV in my room anymore, I don't want much [as].

You don't have a TV? Then what do you do then? D:
Its US against the WORLD

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 11:14:01 PM »
Dedicated fiber-optic internet about as fast as a T1 line, I make ends meet. Once [as] starts showing something I am interested in, I will probably watch it again. However, Eureka Seven is over and nothing looks hopeful to me.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 01:54:58 PM »
I don't really watch anime on AS.  I like a few of their comedy shows though.  Tom goes to the Mayor, Saul of the Mole Men, and the Tim and Eric Awesome Show are god freaking awful.  I like most everything else though.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 03:00:44 PM »
I don't watch American TV, period. =_=;;; Other than CNN and occasionally the Daily Show OTL
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 03:51:17 PM »
Adult Swim has had some real wins and losses, hits and misses, and the epic and the what the **** is this doing on a "cartoon" networks?

Hits:

Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
Sealab 2021 (Pre Murphy death)
ATHF
The Boondocks
Venture Brothers
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Bleach
Full Metal Alchemist
Futurama
Family Guy
Ghost in the Shell:  SAC

Misses:

Squidbillies
Frisky Dingo
Tom Goes to the Mayor
Brak Show
Assy McGee
Trinity Blood (not their fault, the show just sucks except for a couple of eps)
Evangelion (only CN could **** this up)
Im missing lots, I know

Meh:

Metalacolypse (I know people who like it, I dont)
Home Movies (some good, some bad)
Oblongs (I like it, kinda)
Mission Hill (I love it, everybody else hates it)
Most other anime (some I understand, the rest?  people are ****ing idiots)

The **** is this live action shit?:

The live action shit.  On my cartoon network.

I know that CN has had a changing of the guard within the last year.  And the new guard believed it was better to put some live action stuff out there, especially on Adult Swim.  Why?  Because live action gets more ratings then cartoons do.  Unless it's on Cartoon Network, then it flops, bombs, and dies a miserable death and whomever had that notion should be fired.

Im generally okay with showing kids movies, live action or no, on Cartoon Network.  The only reason why is that there's only so many times you can show An American Tail, The Iron Giant, and All Dogs Go To Heaven before you just flat out get tired of it.  And, since it's a Turner owned network, Disney wont allow their cartoon movies to be shown on it.  So if you eliminate the Disney flicks, you run out of good animated movies to show on TV pretty damn quick.  I love Don Bluth's works as much as the next guy, and I don't even remember seeing The Secret of Nimh shown on CN, but even I get tired of watching everything thrice.  Hell, they went obscure with a couple of flicks (Twice Upon a Time anybody?) and pretty well bombed out hard.  I never saw Prince of Egypt on there, which was a ****ing mistake (PoE is a brilliant flick).

But you get the idea.  Live Action stuff has no business being on a network whose sole creation and existence is CARTOONS.  The network got popular on the backs of it's own cartoon creations.  Dexter's Lab, The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and others basically made CN from "Boomerang" to a legitaminte cable channel worth watching regularly.

And that's what you need to do, CN.  Take your AS, go back and realize that what makes shows good isn't just rehashing the same concept as ATHF and Sealab 2021 and slapping a new title on it.  Get some creativity in there.  Grow a pair of balls.  Grab Marathon entertainment from France and make your own kickass show.  DO... SOMETHING... NEW...

In the meantime, get Saul of the Mole Men off my TV.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 04:36:04 PM »
Quote from: TypicalIdiotFan
Adult Swim has had some real wins and losses, hits and misses, and the epic and the what the **** is this doing on a "cartoon" networks?

Hits:

ATHF
The Boondocks
Venture Brothers
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Bleach
Full Metal Alchemist
Futurama
Family Guy
Ghost in the Shell:  SAC

Misses:

Squidbillies
Frisky Dingo
Tom Goes to the Mayor
Brak Show
Assy McGee
Im missing lots, I know

Meh:

Most other anime (some I understand, the rest?  people are ****ing idiots)

The live action shit.  On my cartoon network.

I agree with everything TIF said (anything in bold means I heavily support the opinion). [as] had a bunch of hits, that were actually good, but now they don't realize what made those shows good wasn't the fact that they were rehashed concepts but new ones. However, all the seem to be doing is rehashing stuff.

Offline Tsureie

• Stranger in Paradise

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 09:37:01 PM »
Quote from: TypicalIdiotFan

Hits:

ATHF
The Boondocks
Venture Brothers
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Bleach
Full Metal Alchemist
Futurama
Family Guy
Ghost in the Shell: SAC

Misses:

Squidbillies
Frisky Dingo
Tom Goes to the Mayor
Brak Show
Assy McGee
Im missing lots, I know

Meh:

Most other anime (some I understand, the rest? people are ****ing idiots)

The live action shit. On my cartoon network.

I know that CN has had a changing of the guard within the last year. And the new guard believed it was better to put some live action stuff out there, especially on Adult Swim. Why? Because live action gets more ratings then cartoons do. Unless it's on Cartoon Network, then it flops, bombs, and dies a miserable death and whomever had that notion should be fired.

Im generally okay with showing kids movies, live action or no, on Cartoon Network. The only reason why is that there's only so many times you can show An American Tail, The Iron Giant, and All Dogs Go To Heaven before you just flat out get tired of it. And, since it's a Turner owned network, Disney wont allow their cartoon movies to be shown on it. So if you eliminate the Disney flicks, you run out of good animated movies to show on TV pretty damn quick. I love Don Bluth's works as much as the next guy, and I don't even remember seeing The Secret of Nimh shown on CN, but even I get tired of watching everything thrice. Hell, they went obscure with a couple of flicks (Twice Upon a Time anybody?) and pretty well bombed out hard. I never saw Prince of Egypt on there, which was a ****ing mistake (PoE is a brilliant flick).

But you get the idea. Live Action stuff has no business being on a network whose sole creation and existence is CARTOONS. The network got popular on the backs of it's own cartoon creations. Dexter's Lab, The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and others basically made CN from "Boomerang" to a legitaminte cable channel worth watching regularly.

And that's what you need to do, CN. Take your AS, go back and realize that what makes shows good isn't just rehashing the same concept as ATHF and Sealab 2021 and slapping a new title on it. Get some creativity in there. Grow a pair of balls. Grab Marathon entertainment from France and make your own kickass show. DO... SOMETHING... NEW...

I must agree with you there, some shows are just random only made for money , of course. I, personally, like shows with a meaning not too predictable or too obvious :E
Its US against the WORLD

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 12:17:14 AM »
..why is Saul of the Mole Men not OFF already?
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline Tsureie

• Stranger in Paradise

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 06:09:50 PM »
Quote from: Akira
..why is Saul of the Mole Men not OFF already?

I have no clue, 'Saul of the Mole Men' is stupidest show I've seen so far in my life
Its US against the WORLD

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 07:56:13 PM »
Mission Hill pwned. I watch for Family Guy and Futurama.

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 10:43:03 PM »
They showed live action crap on the Cartoon Network?  Is that an oxymoron or just irony?  And... does that mean that their channel title is false advertising?

What I'd really like to know is how they justified it to themselves.  "Alright, okay, we don't have any cartoons to show in that block, so what the hell, let's throw in some live action!  NO ONE WILL KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!  We're geniuses!"

Well, moving on.

Is it true that they're showing Shin-chan on AS?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 11:45:15 PM »
Quote from: dheu
Is it true that they're showing Shin-chan on AS?

Yep.

And to fill in the 5 character limit that is, for some ****ing reason, attached to this message board's automatic posting guidelines:

Dubbed.  It's humorous, but some of the shit they throw in there is FORRRRCCCCEEEDDD...
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 02:57:29 AM »
What's funky is I haven't watched TV seriously for months, and just a few weeks back while chilling in a hotel in New Orleans, I saw some live action work on the television with Cartoon Network's recognizable icon at the lower right--I almost shit my pants. I couldn't bother to know what show it was, I could only bother to know what the hell it was doing on CN, and it was early in the day, too. What the hell, indeed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up