Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 03:12:37 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts about the site layout  (Read 8494 times)

Offline Ascaloth

• Yo! Yo!
  • Ex-Reviewer

Thoughts about the site layout
« on: July 23, 2007, 10:44:12 AM »
Being the newest member of NHRV, I've been thinking about various things concerning the site lately, and I've developed some opinions about it. So, I wish to share a few thoughts, but before I continue, I will first have to pay my respects to Scoot, for designing such a clean-cut interface for the main site. I hope you guys will listen without tearing me up for any supposed arrogance. :p

1) I spent a week and a half blundering about, before figuring out that to access Behind The Nihon Review, I had to first click on the ambiguously titled "Blogroll", or look for the equally ambiguously titled "Staff Blog" under the "Community" tag. Yes, 1 1/2 weeks. Isn't there a more visible way to display the in-site blogs on the main site?

2) The "Latest Forum Activity" column on the right. To be perfectly honest....I'm not too sure why we need something like that. That is space we can use to display links commonly found on more popular anime review sites.

3) Building upon the previous point, I think what NHRV needs in order to expand the reader base, is to enter the social network of the popular blogs. That is, we should start building relations with popular blogs like THAT Anime Blog, AoMM, and Random Curiosity just to name a few, so that the name of NHRV appears on THEIR links of affiliates. That would be a quick, cost-effective way of advertisement, methinks, since it taps directly into the viewer base that we're mainly aiming for.

4) Would it be a good idea to move the editorials currently on the main site, to Behind The Nihon Review, which I would hereby term as the "in-site blog"?

5) I've noticed that we have two sets of tabs, above and below the site banner respectively, and quite a few links duplicate each other. Should we streamline things a little?

That is all for now, and I may think of other things later on. Please feel free to give your opinions on this matter, and please don't tear me up for my views. :p

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: Thoughts about the site layout
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 12:46:48 PM »
1) I have been here for quiet awhile, and I just noticed the Blogroll thing. When did it show up?

2) I like Latest Forum Activity.

3) Agreed.

4) Agreed.

5) Agreed.
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 03:22:12 PM »
1. Hell, I didn't even know it was there.
2. I like Latest Forum Activity. We don't have anything to link TO, sadly enough.
3. Seriously, if anyone has the time to write up a small blurb to SOS-dan, they guarentee us at at least 2k more hits per month.
4. No opinion.
5. Yes.

That, and... YOU'RE SO ARROGANT LEARN YOUR PLACE GOD DAMN IT.

No, just kidding. I personally like the layout, I just wish BtNHRV was more visible on the site. >_>;
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 04:39:02 PM »
I admit we still have a number of kinks to sort out, but these are things that require time and attention and both are limited resources.  I am trying my best, but, you know, I am only one man.

1.  That's because I just put those links in yesterday.  You're right, it is ambigious, and I can see your point, they do need to be displayed more prominently.

2.  I've always liked the idea of having the side bar be dynamic and random, showing latest posts half the time, and links to the review pages the other half.  I've put this suggestion to people with the capabilities to implement it, but I've largely been ignored.

3. Yes, I've proposed this a long time ago, and while there was initial fervour, there wasn't a great deal of action to follow it up.  We did manage to get linked to from Random Curiosity, as well as a few less prominent review sites, but that's it.  Help is certainly appreciated on this front, since we have nothing to lose by an increased presence in the anime blog community.

4. I think there are a number of changes that need to be made with the entire way the non-review component of our site is run, but there are a number of staff members that are adverse to such changes, and I'm not going to do anything drastic without the support of our staff.  It's a Catch 22, but the type that comes along with any campaign for change.

5. YES! See above.

I do have a list of priorities of things that need to be addressed, but there are things that I can and can't do, and there are things that require a lot of time and effort that I don't have.  Anyway, I'm glad you've brought these up, since, as a newcomer, you have a vantage point that we don't have, as far as seeing how things are run is concerned.  Generally, though, we discuss these things in the private admins forum and that's where I'll make my next post... but people are free to continue discussing things here.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 07:36:10 PM »
1.) Yes

2.) Ads anyone? Make the site pay for itself.

3.) Yes

4.) Yes

5.) Yes

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 09:25:41 PM »
Seven's 2:

You can do ads right, and then you can do them wrong.

stinkin' photobucket piece o' crap... for a larger image, go here .
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 09:44:32 PM »
Quote from: Kurier
Seven's 2:

You can do ads right, and then you can do them wrong.

stinkin' photobucket piece o' crap... for a larger image, go here .
I guess the person who made that ad doesn't know the intricasies of photoshop.  (Oh well, it's not like I know much about it either.  But then again, I'm not advertising anything.)

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 09:44:45 PM »
No ads.  Ads are ugly and stupid and we don't need them.  Our hosting fees are dirt cheap, so what's the point.  It's not like they'll make us any money.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 11:44:17 AM »
Theres a reason google ads are unobtrusive. Even the ones on 4chan aren't that big of a hassle. The thing with ads is you have to place them well so they're not obstructive or obnoxious and retarded (see AnimeAcademy).

And even if we only get 10 bucks a year, that's ten bucks less than we have to shell out. ****, I could go buy a fancy cigar for that money, and enjoy the hell out of it too.

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 01:02:02 PM »
Uh, my friend agreed to get us a spot on moe.imouto.org whenever the hell we want.

Y/N.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 02:57:38 PM »
Quote from: Akira
Uh, my friend agreed to get us a spot on moe.imouto.org whenever the hell we want.

Y/N.

I say "yes".

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 04:28:37 PM »
Quote from: Seven
Theres a reason google ads are unobtrusive. Even the ones on 4chan aren't that big of a hassle. The thing with ads is you have to place them well so they're not obstructive or obnoxious and retarded (see AnimeAcademy).

And even if we only get 10 bucks a year, that's ten bucks less than we have to shell out. ****, I could go buy a fancy cigar for that money, and enjoy the hell out of it too.

You're not even paying the bills for this year.  dheu is.  And I've already offered to pay the bills for next year.  There's no money problem at all in this site... why should we act like there is?
Quote from: Akira

Y/N.

This is a no brainer.  Hell yes.  Moe Imouto is one of the best goddamn anime image sites on the internet.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 11:55:51 AM »
I'm not acting like theres a money problem because there isn't. I'm sure you're misinterpereting my argument. I'm not saying we need them, but wouldn't you like to have that extra 10 bucks in your pocket to go do something else? I mean, if I coul pay 10 dollars less on my car insurance I'd do anything I could to get that money. It may not be much but it adds up in the end. Say we get $5 a month in ad revenue. That's $60 dollars over 12 months meaning we only have to cover $30 of the cost of the site.

I know it's not expensive, but that's 60 bucks. That's two tanks full of gas.

Offline Ascaloth

• Yo! Yo!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 02:54:57 AM »
Akira-san, your "friend" was pretty scathing in his assessment of NHRV. What's worse is, he does actually have a point with certain portions of his assessment IMHO...

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 05:23:17 AM »
I'm with Kurier with this one, and my opinion is same as his, particularly the fifth pointer. It's been a slightly irritating feature about the site, but just a minute one. And yes, by all means get the spot on the site. That'll boost the quality of our site by a longshot.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up