Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 12:25:43 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question...  (Read 12902 times)

Offline cyanoacry

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1

Re: Question...
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 03:46:47 PM »
Phate,

Certainly, you wouldn't be the first to think that visual novels are just a lame replacement for literature. However, as Tomo Kataoka noted in his work Narcissu, there's a reason why they exist. The difference between a normal book and a visual novel is that in the latter, the creator has more power to set ambiance with an additional set of tools: music and images.

Yes, the imaginative of us may be able to create our own scenery, but to hear original music and artwork along with the text adds greatly, if only because it isn't your own imagination at play. You also get a closer feel of what the creator intended originally.

And Akira, I'd say the same to you. DROP EVERYTHING YOU'RE DOING RIGHT NOW AND PLAY RED SHIFT.

The best starter visual novels would be those from al|together 2006/2005, a yearly translation festival hosted by insani and the haeleth gemot.

http://altogether.insani.org
(al|together '05)
http://at2006.haeleth.net (al|together '06)

My particular favorites are (precursor to a|t 2005) Narcissu, Red Shift (precursor to a|t 2006) and Adagio.

The best easily-accessible professional-work amateur translation would be insani's localization of Planetarian. The game costs $10, but it's money well worth paying.

I loved everything in a|t 2005, but a|t had more diversity. Didn't quite like it as much.

Having served as one of the main proofreaders in the mirrormoon Tsukihime project, let me say this: avoid Kinoko Nasu's writing.

Offline Ascaloth

  • Yo! Yo!
  • Ex-Reviewer
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 159

Re: Question...
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 08:20:16 PM »
Played Narcissu.

Now that's one VN that deserves an anime adaptation. Hell, given the right actors, a live-action adaptation might work even better. (I call YUI from "Midnight Sun" for Setsumi, BTW)

Played Red Shift.

Holy mind****. There's just so much to like about it, not least because it turns the idea of the KEY male lead on its head. :p

Played Kana: Imouto.

Used to think it's very good, but nowadays I'm not as enamoured of it as I was in the past. Not that I'd say it's bad in any way, though.

Waiting with bated breath for Narci2. Hoping that either Haeleth or KeyFC releases soon.

Offline Akira

  • Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 495

Re: Question...
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 09:16:16 PM »
lol I call Erica Sawajiri from Midnight Sun and 1 Litre of Tears for Setsumi >.>;;;

I need to play red shift. T_T
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline Akira

  • Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 495

Re: Question...
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 10:39:50 AM »
Oh, guys, this is what happens when you take a hobby a bit too far:

http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/dqnplus/imgs/a/1/a1a080f3.jpg

If you're offended by H, or nudity in general, don't click on that. But seriously, OTL.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline AC

  • Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3795
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Question...
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 09:00:50 PM »
Quote from: Akira
Oh, guys, this is what happens when you take a hobby a bit too far:
 
http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/dqnplus/imgs/a/1/a1a080f3.jpg
 
If you're offended by H, or nudity in general, don't click on that. But seriously, OTL.

 
Wow, a genuine otaku... figures. The monitors themselves must've cost a fortune. Seriously though, no one in NHRW should be offended by that image.
 
Hentai is the fundamental establishment that NHRW is built on in the first place :V.

Offline Shadowmage

  • Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1399

Re: Question...
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 09:04:41 PM »
Quote from: Akira
Oh, guys, this is what happens when you take a hobby a bit too far:

http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/dqnplus/imgs/a/1/a1a080f3.jpg

If you're offended by H, or nudity in general, don't click on that. But seriously, OTL.

What otaku fund managers do in their free time...

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline C0MPL3X

  • :3
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 423

Re: Question...
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 11:12:52 PM »
There was a time when I was walking through a street, I think it was somewhere near Shibuya station where you can see love hotels. One of the place had the sign 'pc' with some japanese words, and since I needed to send emails (because crappy but cheap capsule hotels don't have a pulbic computer), I decided to drop in. O yea, I had to go upstairs too because no one was at the counter. Seeing the room upstairs made me go WTF. The kind of WTF moment as you see a photo like that. I don't know if you've seen a round looking room, surrounded by bright white coloured walls with photos of Japanese models (i hope? maybe porn stars), and this one, nice looking computer on a desk in the middle of the room. Yea, I didn't really need someone to come and tell me 'this isn't the internet cafe to send your emails'. Bizarre. Definitely one of more memorable sights Japan can offer for a foreigner, although for a wrong reason.

Offline AC

  • Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3795
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Question...
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 06:15:31 AM »
Quote from: C0MPL3X
There was a time when I was walking through a street, I think it was somewhere near Shibuya station where you can see love hotels. One of the place had the sign 'pc' with some japanese words, and since I needed to send emails (because crappy but cheap capsule hotels don't have a pulbic computer), I decided to drop in. O yea, I had to go upstairs too because no one was at the counter. Seeing the room upstairs made me go WTF. The kind of WTF moment as you see a photo like that. I don't know if you've seen a round looking room, surrounded by bright white coloured walls with photos of Japanese models (i hope? maybe porn stars), and this one, nice looking computer on a desk in the middle of the room. Yea, I didn't really need someone to come and tell me 'this isn't the internet cafe to send your emails'. Bizarre. Definitely one of more memorable sights Japan can offer for a foreigner, although for a wrong reason.
Umm... can you PM me the address to that place? Might come in handy soon...
 
(^^")

Offline Akira

  • Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 495

Re: Question...
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 06:46:48 AM »
No need to do that, AC; there's way too many of those. I remember I went to a shop where the inside of the elevator was PLASTERED with pictures of porn stars. That shop sold manga intended for all ages and DS games.

Weird country? Yes.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline C0MPL3X

  • :3
  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 423

Re: Question...
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 07:35:59 AM »
Yea, there a countless numerb of shops where you can buy porn/anime porn (most likely to be at the top floor of any manga selling store). But this one was...weird...I mean, obviously a very sensually alarming place, and this one little computer in the middle and nothing else to be seen. The mental image of what you're supposed to be doing there and the fact that someone is making a business of it, and also the fact that they might have a customer there was just...ugh, only if you've been there x_x

Offline AC

  • Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3795
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Question...
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 07:41:56 AM »
Quote from: C0MPL3X
...and also the fact that they might have a customer there was just...ugh, only if you've been there
That seals it - I will be there... hawt dawg! Nippon, here I come!
 
*AC's raping urges begins to erupt
 
:V
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up