Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 12:06:40 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voting has Started! Best of the Best Contest #1  (Read 5082 times)

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

Voting has Started! Best of the Best Contest #1
« on: May 21, 2007, 11:44:26 AM »
The votes are tallied, and here are the finalists:

Scoot:  GTO  (was there ever any doubt?)

dheu:  Casshern .

Shadowmage:  Planetes

Akira:  Deep River

AC:  Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex

Sorrow-kun:  Bartender

royal crown:  Air TV

Kuma:  Red Garden

DarkKanti:  Pale Cocoon

If there is a tie between some of your reviews, please PM me or post here, which one you want entered in the contest.  If I do not hear from you in 3 days (by 11:59 PM EST on 5/24) I will randomly choose one of the reviews to be voted on.  Voting will commence as soon as I get responses from those who's reviews are tied, or in 3 days.

A reminder of the rules:

2a. You may vote for only one review.
2b. Whether or not you agree with the opinion in a review should have no bearing on it being voted best of the best. We are looking for good writing in this contest.
2c. In order for your ballot to be counted, you must explain why you feel the review you chose is the best of the best You do not need to write a thesis, a sentence or two will do.
2d. In case of a tie, there will be a run-off contest that will be open for a week. If there is still no winner, then the contest ends in a tie.

Polls will be open for 15 days after all issues are sorted out.  Just post your vote in this thread.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 08:38:19 AM by Kuma »

Offline Kuma

• Ex-Reviewer

Re: Best of the Best Contest #1 Voting
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 08:35:30 AM »
Ties have been resolved.  Polls close at midnight EST June 12th.  Get those votes in!

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 03:25:35 AM »
I liked how both Casshern and Air TV so thoroughly dissected what's good and bad about the work. GTO was great because it wasted no words and used colourful language to paint a simple and quick, yet vivid image of the show. However Bartender is my pick. Instead of trying to judge the show as something good or bad, I liked how SK described the character of the show. Like identifying a theme of anime (healing anime) that some of us aren't used to (including me, and I'd like to say I'm quite familiar with anime), and using adjectives like 'heart-warming' and descriptions using examples from both in anime and our daily lives. I don't think many reviews did that as good as Bartender, some reviews merely judged how brilliant and unique the characters were, or how brilliant the music was, without actually characterising those aspects. He also makes comparisons to other animes to give relative point, in which we can relate how amusing or boring the story of Bartender is compared to other gems like Mushishi. And I like the tone of the review, much like PlanetES, which was also very good. If I could nitpick one thing I didn't like about PlanetES, it would be the fourth paragraph. I like how SM tried to give an example of how just awesome some of the scenes in the series are, but if that was the intention I don't think it was very successful.

If I was to vote the one I liked the most, I don't know if I would've still picked Bartender because I think there are moments that really hurt the show, which I personally feel is crucial in dissection. But yea there's my vote. And I only gave much more praise to justify why I liked Bartender the most. I think all reviews are well written and a few deserves just as much praises, but I don't think I can get through all of them.

Offline Kuma

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 10:56:53 AM »
First, a few comments on the reviews:

Scoot:  Your GTO review starts out very strong, precisely and elegantly describing what makes GTO so awesome.  However, you began to lose me in the last two paragraphs.  Still, it's a great review.

dheu:  My only complaints about your Casshern review are that it is a little too long, and the rating doesn't feel justified.  You waxed poetic for about four paragraphs about how good Casshern is only to give it a "5" because it requires some suspension of disbelief.  I may be wrong, but the review makes it sound like you liked Casshern more than you want to admit.  I think you did an excellent job pointing out Casshern's strong points and you've definitely made me want to see the movie.

Shadowmage:  Your Planetes review has a great intro paragraph and gets right to the point of telling the reader why he should watch it.  The length is just right, not too short and not too long.  Well done.

Akira:  I dislike J-Pop.  The few J-Pop songs on my iPod always get skipped.  That said, your Deep River review really made me want to go out and listen to the album.  Your enthusiasm for the subject matter comes through without sounding fanboyish and your song descriptions are excellent.  Bravo!

AC:  There are a few too many short paragraphs which hurt the flow of the review.  You do a great job talking about the plot, but some of the other aspects feel glossed over.  I thought your Death Note reviews were better.

Sorrow-kun:  I have no complaints about your Bartender review.  I was curious about Bartender for a long time, and your review was both informative and enlightening.  That is exactly what reviews are supposed to do.

royal crown:  Your Air TV review is solid.  A few sentences had me scratching my head, but you do describe the ups and downs in detail.  Unfortunately for you, some other reviewers did better.

DarkKanti:  You did a great job of informing the reader about Pale Cocoon, what went into making it and what it is.  That's only half of what makes a great review.  I don't think you spent enough time going over what's good and bad about the show itself.  It's very hard to review short anime, but you still did a pretty good job.

And my vote goes to...Akira for his review of Deep River.  Sorrow-kun's Bartender review or Shadowmage's Planetes review were both fantastic and could just as easily have won.

Congrats to all!

('''')(;,,;)('''')

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 08:10:54 PM »
Scoot: This is a solid review that captures the essence of GTO with flair.  While it is certainly not the best review you've written, it does manage to have the same quality as your previous works.

dheu: When you joked about this review being a "thesis" you weren't kidding.  My gosh, it's most definitely the most comprehensive review we have at the NHRV, but as Kuma pointed out, it's long... very, very long.  The only reason I'll ever watch Casshern is to fully understand what your wrote in your review.

Akira: I disagree with Kuma.  This is a fanboy's review.  It, however, is written by a very intelligent fanboy who I'm willing to listen to.  It's straightforward and clever, and I had fun reading it.

AC: I feel ashamed to say that I have yet to see all of GiTS: SAC.  This review, however, basically guaranteed my purchase of the thinpacks.  Through it's various descriptions, it does a good job outlining just why I should watch it.  

Sorrow-kun: Have any of you went to a classy dinner or meeting?  Sure the event may look nice but after a mediocre dinner and a three hour speech you realize just how boring the whole darn thing is.  SK's Bartender combines class and gloss but without the intolerable sense of stiffness.  

royal crown: This review does a good job hopping around the hotspots of Air TV.  It does a very thorough dissection considering its length.  The successes, the fallacies, you did a good job capturing both ends of the show.

Kuma: Kuma, you have a very solid system of reviewing.  Your Red Garden review tells its readers exactly what the show is about, it then gives a very earnest assessment about the show.  Personally, I often cut corners for the sake of flow, but you know how to round corners whille sounding smooth.

DarkKanti: Short anime are hard to review... Scratch that, anime that evoke few emotions are hard to review.  While I have yet to see tha anime in question, I have a keen feeling you didn't feel anything special while watching the show (except maybe the animation).  I presume this is why your review was so abstract.

I admit my vote is given by a marginal difference in quality. I'll give it to Sorrow-Kun for having a review that flows well, is informative and has a slight edge in class above the others.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 11:40:26 PM »
Great Teacher Onizuka:  My biggest criticism of Scoot is that you have to WRITE MORE REVIEWS OMG!  Very solid review which manages to cover all the highlights of the reviews without being verbose.

Casshern:  Too long.  As an indepth analysis of the piece, it's outstanding, but you simply take too long to get to your point.  As Kuma says, arguably you over-emphasize the good of the title, which leads to a bit of a mismatch between the tone of your review and the rating.  The big danger with such a long review is that you'd probably lose your more attention-deficit readers well before the end, but for those that do stick around, it certainly does a great deal for setting up your readers expectations for the film.  And I can't be too harsh on reviewers that write too much... hell, I think I've gone over 600 words on a few occassion.  :]

Planetes: I particularly love the anecdote surrounding one of the special moments in the series.  Very solid review, but it's the paragraph on this specific moment from the series that adds a personal feel and shows an obvious connection between the reviewer and the material you were reviewing.  I've always wanted to see Planetes, and seeing such a glowing review from someone who's opinion I trust just makes me want to see it more.

Deep River.  I remember revising this review, so any criticism against it is partly my fault too.  A bit too much fanboy-ism for mine, particularly in the first paragraph.  It is important to express why you love the work or artist so much, but I also think it's important to place at least some distance between yourself and the material you're reviewing when you review it.  Other than that, the description of the music is really good, and there's no question about your opinion of the album.  Solid review, but I think you need to do a bit of work on toning down your enthusiasm just a bit.

GITS:SAC: Unrelated thought regarding AC's reviews: I actually think you'd benefit from writing a few more reviews around the "6"-"4" mark, to give you some experience on dissecting series that have significant good and bad parts.  As far as this review is concerned, it's good, but not great.  The ideas are all there, but the articulation isn't quite as good as some of the others around here.  But it's not a huge criticism, that's something that will improve considerable with time, as you write more and more reviews.  (Subtle hint: write more and more reviews :p)

Bartender: My review... is so awesome...

Air:  Personally, I think you're going to be a star attraction for our site one day.  Your writing is quite phenomenal, but the scary thing is that you're only going to get better.  The analysis is grounded in logic and reason, and, while I didn't agree with the review itself (since I am a Key fanboy), you still manage to explain all your ideas in way that is evident of an obvious amount of thought.  Keep up the good work, I seriously look forward to seeing more of your reviews in the future.

Red Garden: Kuma is one of the best examples on this site of the idea that, the more reviews your write, the better you get.  What works well with this review is the obvious knowledge you have of the background, not just surrounding this work, but many of Gonzo's other works, which allows the review to be informative, as well as a glowing recommendation.  You manage to hit all the thoughts I had about the series, as well as a few more insights that I didn't have, which highlights an obvious understanding of the work.  In all honesty, I'd have given Red Garden a slightly lower rating if I had reviewed it myself (ie, an "8"), but this review is better than anything I'd have written, so I'm glad you ended up reviewing it, and not me.

Pale Cocoon: Short review for a short anime.  It makes sense to choose not to go into a great amount of detail on something that is so short, but I kind of felt that I wanted to know more about the title after reading your review.  In a sense, it's the complete opposite of dheu's review, but as a recommendation, I think it could have been a bit stronger.  Solid review, but lacks a bit of meat.

As far as a winner is concerned, it's almost an arbitrary choice, since all the reviews are really good (but I wouldn't expect anything less).  I'd say the best three are Kuma, Shadowmage and royal crown, and separating the three of them is no easy task.  But my vote goes to Shadowmage (if the reviews you submit in the AA student review contest were as good as the reviews you submit on our site, you'd have won one by now... but I have no complaints about the fact that your best work is here).

Offline Kuma

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 08:23:24 AM »
It's kind of funny that you mentioned that you would have given Red Garden an "8", because that was what I was originally going to give it, but after reading my review I thought that the review sounded like it should be a "9".  Maybe I'm just a fanboy...

Anyway, polls are now closed, and the winner is Sorrow-kun!  Congrats to our fearless leader!

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 03:10:34 AM »
I knew Sorrow-kun would be sweeping the victory easily here... and with such grace and class like his review. Congrats, Big Cheese. Please put into low gear and relax, 'kay? SK's been a busy man, and this victory speaks for itself.

Don't worry, I'll take full note of your advice. Blame it on the military for stealing all my leisure time when I can use it to hone my writing skills.

;}

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 07:12:33 PM »
Hooray I won!

Hmm... the feeling of victory sort of lacks the euphoric bliss that I thought it would have...  uhh

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 07:19:37 PM »
Well you did win most of the competitions in AA...

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.
Pages: [1]   Go Up