Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 16, 2017, 07:09:14 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Serious Movie Thread: Spider-Man 3  (Read 6055 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

A Serious Movie Thread: Spider-Man 3
« on: May 04, 2007, 10:54:23 PM »
I caught the 10: 30 screening with my brother and sister, interrupting a session of C&C3, but that's all right, time well-spent--pizza, pissing around in Hollywood Video, and a damn good film.

There are no outright spoilers in the following text, but there may be suggestions and hints, all unintentional or completely unavoidable. Read at your own risk, preferably after seeing the film (yes, go watch it).

Spider-man 3 is a good movie. But not a great movie. It is certainly not the first and certainly better than the second. What it did right, it did very well, and what it did wrong--oh well.

The movie starts off kind of nice and soft, real rosy, develops lots of relationships, sets a lot of conflicts, then everything suddenly blows up, climbs to a climax, and it doesn't seem to want to stop climbing, cause the ending is a smash. A few words, however, do summarize it: a headache. The movie tries to juggle too much simultaneously, we've got Eddie, we've got Flint, we've got Harry, and of course we've got Peter and Mary Jane. Contrasting with the first movie, which was simple and straight-to-the-point, the third is complex, but only complex in that it is a jumble and the viewer is dragged from conflict to conflict; each of course, conveniently, is resolved. The rough cinematography seem to epitomize this, especially when it's fumbling and bumbling unnecessarily around the screen (however, it does do its job during action scenes--props).

There's no doubt that there's a lot of dying and a lot of crying, more than any superhero film in anyone's memory. But the film does well with what everyone expects it to do well with: action. The fight scenes, along with the animations of the villains and the choreography, is the essence of excellence; from the perspective of an aspiring filmmaker, such as myself, I could only dream of envisioning such teeth-pulling excitement. The fights are done so well that I can understand how many people only came to see Spider-man 3 for what it appeared to be: just an action film. People were laughing during serious drama and half the crowd left the theatre five minutes before the film even ended. Perhaps the drama was handled poorly, or perhaps it was just overdone, or even both--I mean, we're expecting kids and teenagers to watch this, not a bunch of scholars or Romantics.

Nonetheless, this does not mean Spider-man 3 delivered a fake uppercut, naw, every Spider-man film had some kind of lesson!

- It is the choices that count.
- Put others before yourself, but do not forget about yourself--forgive yourself, love yourself.

Overarching themes? Yah:

The power of family: Peter, Flint, and Harry all had strong attachments to a family member, whom is the motivation for their actions. Peter fights crime because of his uncle. Harry's rage is fueled by the loss of his father. Marco's destruction is for his daughter.
In addition, it is family that saves Peter (his aunt) and saves Harry (his butler).
A lack of a father figure: Many characters are 'fatherless,' and these are the ones who are pitted against fate. Harry, Peter, Mary Jane...and we can contrast this with someone like Gwen, who does have a father and all the luck and happiness.
Redemption: Every character that has a conflict is "redeemed," seeming to deliver the message that there is some sense of justice in our society, despite all the havoc that surrounds us.

The highlights:
Too much crying and too much dying; lots of bang and boom; Venom!

Last word:
Check it out, it's fun, it's sad, it's a good time.

IT'S A....SEVEN (7) - GOOD SHIT!

Discuss!

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Re: A Serious Movie Thread: Spider-Man 3
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 01:15:02 PM »
Spiderman 2 was a 300 million dollar let-down.  The drama was ineffective, and the fight scenes never truly impressed.  I came into Spiderman 3 with lowered expectations and was absolutely blown away.  The fight scenes were tense, the acting was great, but most importantly, the drama was down to earth.  I don't care what many other critics have said, this is a great movie.  And, I can explain why in two words: Harry Oswald.

I admit, the show bites off more than it can chew, but it does an admirable job juggling the four or so subplots that run in tandem with the main one.  Each character (Except Eddie Brock) is given a serious backstory and a heartfelt reason as to why they are fighting.  Yes, the "protective father" stereotype has been done over and over again, but there is a good reason why the ploy is so popular: it works.  Through the course of the movie, I genuinely felt bad for Sandman, and subconsciously rooted for him instead of Spidy.  His final plea to Spiderman was undeniably forced, but I found it to be powerful, nonetheless.  

As for Harry Oswald, the good old amnesia plot device was used... and it was brilliant.  Much like in Noein, amnesia gave a chance to show that Harry is a good person who became distorted by hatred.  (One of the themes of the movie)  Furthermore, his graphic descent after Spiderman "tripped" him with a wire of web made amnesia extremely plausible.  However, when Harry regained his memories, he turns from a great character into an epic one.  The bridge scene followed by the "salt in the wounds" coffee shop scene was  powerful and beautifully sadistic.  

Spiderman 3 had a $250 million to spend, and it shows, oh so vividly.  Ironically, it wasn't one of the CGI titan fight scenes that was truly exciting.  In my opinion, the hand to hand fight scene between Parker and Harry at Harry's pad was the best.  Besides looking more authentic, the scene had mountains of emotions bouncing around.  The hilarious jeers and the angst-ridden commentary topped with the "Bungee Goblin Grenade" made it the most amazing fight scene of the movie.

Spiderman 3 probably breaks the record for the number of crying superheroes in one movie.  Tobey Maguire played his role with a constant gloss over his eyes, and even the antagonists had reasons to cry.  The movie does a wonderful job of capturing Peter Parker's emotions with over-the-top actions.  The kiss scene, the "I'm a pimp" scene, the dance scene, they all may have been corny, but they nailed down what Parker felt at the time.  

With a breakneck pacing, a tight script and excellent directing, Spiderman 3 is more than worth your time.  If you have not scene the previous two incarnations, watch them so you can watch this movie.  This is the first superhero movie I have seen that has real emotions flying around with $250 million dollars of pomp and pizzaz.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 08:17:04 PM »
Needed more Venom. Sandman sucks.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 08:37:12 PM »
Quote from: Seven

I agree completely. That movie was severely lacking in Venom. Eddie Brock should not have been portrayed as he was, as Venom was much more of an anti-hero of sorts in the comics, and then he was just portrayed as a petty and annoyed reporter in this.

Also, plot holes abound. I didn't like it much at all, especially not with the standards the other two set.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 02:30:04 PM »
SPOILERS SPOILERS STOP READING SPOILERZ

I didn't see any plot holes. I thought the plot was, though rather convoluted than "intellectually complex," well-developed. I, too, feel that Venom had the shorter stick--maybe he'll get more screen time in #4, or not. Not too sure that was the real way the 'real' Venom died in the comics, and whether it was real or not, I'm not too sure if it was the way he "dies" at all, considering the movies are based on both Ultimate Spiderman and the Amazing Spiderman comics (neither of which I have read).

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 08:56:43 PM »
Venom doesn't die. He and Spiderman team up to defeat Carnage.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 11:51:30 PM »
Venom doesn't die. He and Spiderman team up to defeat Carnage.
... which I strongly felt should be featured in the upcoming sequel - Carnage, that is. I don't think that's feasible anymore now.

:c

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 12:20:50 AM »
Eh. Carnage is so badass he should take up two films.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 02:15:25 AM »
Quote from: Tamashii

Welcome to The Nihon Review, where we have
Spoiler for Hiden:
spoiler tags

Offline Boris Moskovitz

• http://www.menarebetterthanwomen.com

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 07:43:29 AM »
Maybe for the comics - I don't know. However, in this movie, Venom's presence was a bit of an annoyance, at least for me.

They should have just saved him for a sequel, because this movie was already good enough on its own with its main premise (New Goblin on Spidey's ass and Spidey on Sandman's ass). Yes, the symbiote served its purpose well as a symbol of Peter's corruption, but I saw absolutely no reason to not cut Venom off from the cast. The way he was, he felt like an add-on, anyway.

Oh, and yes. Spidey 3's also about Peter's miserable love life, I know.

I wonder if they're ever gonna make use of Dr. Connors - I actually kinda like Lizard.

Offline Dtortot

• Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.mangareviewer.com

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 02:34:58 PM »
I don't have the will to go deep down and explain my only two thoughts and comments on the movie, so I'll just lay them out for you to read and then, if time is found and disposition made, I'll explain them.

Spiderman 3:
1) WTF!!!! Emo Peter Parker, made me ROFL!
2) All in all, Spider man 3 could have a duel with Brokeback Mountain for the gayest movie ever.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 05:26:10 PM »
I think the jolt in dramatics, compared to #2/#1, is not that significant, but it is noticeable. I do think it makes the movie better, however, as implied before, the movie was not expected to be all teary eye-like, and those that came to watch an ass-kicking film (which it still was) was a bit surprised by the pulsating drama. Dtotty, why must you say "ROFL," because it reminds me of the kids that laughed when
Spoiler for Hiden:
el Goblin de Harry, tuvo que morirse!

which I felt pitifully sorry for the kids, as they could not comprehend or apprehend such emotions, and as a cognitive response, must laugh in order to cope with the "strange and unwelcomed feeling." A sign of immaturity, alas.

And Spiderman 3 was not a gay movie. Brokeback Mountain was a movie about gays, which does not make it "gay" (the subtle connotation is "bad, horrible, terrible"; which manifested from homophobia and has become a dumb trend). In fact, I heard it was a very good movie.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
Quote from: Tamashii
I think the jolt in dramatics, compared to #2/#1, is not that significant, but it is noticeable. I do think it makes the movie better, however, as implied before, the movie was not expected to be all teary eye-like, and those that came to watch an ass-kicking film (which it still was) was a bit surprised by the pulsating drama. Dtotty, why must you say "ROFL," because it reminds me of the kids that laughed when
Spoiler for Hiden:
el Goblin de Harry, tuvo que morirse!
which I felt pitifully sorry for the kids, as they could not comprehend or apprehend such emotions, and as a cognitive response, must laugh in order to cope with the "strange and unwelcomed feeling." A sign of immaturity, alas.

And Spiderman 3 was not a gay movie. Brokeback Mountain was a movie about gays, which does not make it "gay" (the subtle connotation is "bad, horrible, terrible"; which manifested from homophobia and has become a dumb trend). In fact, I heard it was a very good movie.
Uhh... I think Dtortot is just kidding here... like how I would say Blades of Glory is a gay movie.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 11:47:38 PM »
I don't think he's joking.

Offline Dtortot

• Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.mangareviewer.com

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 06:59:46 PM »
I wasn't.

Look... I understand a friendship had to be saved, a relationship and loved needed to be rescued, I understand all of that. I am not saying it wasn't an enjoyable movie, because it surely was... I think I was just looking for more smack (action if you will).

Some might say that Spiderman 2 sucked ass because it wasn't truthful to the comics, but since I am not a fan of the comics I could crae less I just want to see Spidey kick ass. And while this movie did deliver some ass kicking, it surely wasn't as entertaining as Spiderman 2 or abundant.

Meybe Spiderman 3 sticks more closely to the comic than the other movies, I dunno, but I was kind of hoping more of an action movie than a greek drama.

BTW Tamashi, while your comment on "What is Gay and what not" is 100% accurate... you knew what I was talking about from the get go. I wasn't saying that they were bad... but that they were actually gay... like literally. I know it is not true, but I do like how making such extreme comments carries your message accross, even when this time it has failed.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 07:47:38 PM »
Burritos for sale, burritos for sale.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up