Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 03:16:28 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manga you wish would be made into anime (or that you wish hadn't)  (Read 15136 times)

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Shamelessly stealing an idea from a friend (<3):

What manga do you wish would be made into anime, and why?

What manga do you wish hadn't been made into anime, and why?

For number one, I'll go out on a limb and say:

From Far Away
Yet another shoujo "schoolgirl brought to a strange magical land" storyline, but I consider this manga series the best of the bunch, Escaflowne included.  The heroine is, for once, a truly normal girl.  She has to struggle to understand the new land she is in, she even has to struggle to learn the language so she can understand what's going on.  Like Yoko from Twelve Kingdoms, she starts off completely unsure of herself and dependent on those around her but becomes stronger through her own will and determination.  I can see this being a good series if done well, but at the same time I don't think it'll be released, since there are so many series out there with the same premise that it'll probably be passed over as a wannabe-Escaflowne.

For number two, I still have to say:

Eyeshield 21
A series that focused on action can't be adequately replicated with speed lines and other cost-saving animation cuts.  Also, I can never forgive them for cutting out some of my favorite jokes in the series.

Offline Ariani

Re: Manga you wish would be made into anime (or that you wish hadn't)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 07:31:15 AM »
Pure Trance by Junko Mizuno: Personally, I think any of her works could translate into an anime well, but this one would probably work out the best, either as a 13-episode show or a 6 episode OAV. The story is basically about a whole bunch of girls who live in an underground city built after WWIII destroyed the surface of the earth and made it unfit for habitation. The name "Pure Trance" comes from a pill that is meant to provide nutients for people instead of eating food. I used to place her work as being too "adult" oriented (lots of nudity and dark themes, including drug abuse, bondage, and cannibalism) to be translated to anime, but seeing some of the stuff that's put out recently, I think it could make it.

Shadow Lady by Mazakazu Katsura: This series is easily my favourite Mahou-Shoujo novel off all time, parodying the entire genre and throwing it in a loop: the star "Magical Girl" uses her powers to become a jewel thief. The entire series (a whopping 3 volumes) is silly and fun, and there's even an alternate storyline story at the end. Again, probably a shorter series, I'd place it at 13 episodes, max.

Offline Dtortot

• Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.mangareviewer.com

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 11:04:47 AM »
Kilico:
This is by far a great piece of action manga that is worthy of an anime. I am talking Berserk action here.

Death Note:
Why bother when the manga has such a lame ending?

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 03:47:47 PM »
Death Note:
Why bother to do so much epic in the first half, then drop the ball. (Read: I liked the manga, anime didn't do it justice)

Neon Genesis Evangelion (by Sadamoto):
Anno is a great director, but I believe that Sadamoto's representation of the story is a lot better.
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 04:05:23 PM »
For my "wish they had..."

1. Yotsubato. You just know they're going to.

"Wish they hadn't:"

1. Marmalade Boy. Why make such a good series into a lame anime with crap animation?

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion: Look at above.

3. Pokemon. Why couldn't they have done a strict adaptation of the kick-ass manga?!
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 11:55:31 PM »
The anime didn't do Death Note justice?  Frankly, I think the manga didn't do Death Note justice.  What's the point of building up so much anticipation for the cat-and-mouse struggle between L and Light.... and then it turns out like it did?  I've never seen such an interesting protagonist-antagonist match be squandered so horribly as it was in Death Note.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »
Agree with Marmalade Boy. I bought the manga even though the color was pink and everyone at the bookstore gave me evil stares. Then the anime came on and I was like "wtf"

Honestly, while it was a little eccentric, I think that "My Two Wings" would be an interesting anime. Dunno if it would be good or not.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 10:16:16 PM »
1.  20th Century Boys.  20th Century Boys.  20th Century Boys.

I want it now!!!  After seeing how well Monster was handled by Studio Madhouse, I can't wait until they start work on 20th Century Boys.  I mean, they have to do it, don't they?

2.  I'll agree with dheu and say Eyeshield 21.

I was really excited when I started watching it, because it could have been really good.  If it had stuck to the manga and had some really cool animation for the football game scenes it would have been excellent.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 12:25:37 AM »
Quote from: DarkKanti
1. 20th Century Boys. 20th Century Boys. 20th Century Boys.

I want it now!!! After seeing how well Monster was handled by Studio Madhouse, I can't wait until they start work on 20th Century Boys. I mean, they have to do it, don't they?
AWW, DANG!!! I was going to say that!!!

Yeah, agree with you like a frisky groupie on this. Knowing how wonderful Naoki Urasawa's earlier work in 20th Century Boys is, it's a shame (and a mystery) why an anime based on it was never made.

Monster was a success, so I don't see why it won't be for 20th Century Boys.

:>

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 10:16:47 AM »
Quote from: Akira
For my "wish they had..."

1. Yotsubato. You just know they're going to.

"Wish they hadn't:"

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion: Look at above.

The Evangelion television series came before the manga, so this statement is a bit unfair.  (Seriously, if Anno had 10 years to write the script, I'm sure the show would have turned out differently)

As for the Death Note gripe... I seriously had no problems with either the anime or the manga.  Sure, the second part was nowhere near as good as the first, but I found the franchise to be both ambitious and entertaining; thus, worth my time.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 01:55:33 PM »
Quote from: Shadowmage
As for the Death Note gripe... I seriously had no problems with either the anime or the manga.  Sure, the second part was nowhere near as good as the first, but I found the franchise to be both ambitious and entertaining; thus, worth my time.

I didn't really have too many qualms about the second half either,  In fact, up until the final few chapters I was really starting to enjoy it.  I just couldn't stand the way they ended it.

It was just too out of character for Light, and his final plan was incredibly LAME!!!  I mean, I could think of at least five other plans that would've worked better than his.

Now, the live action movies had a spectacular ending.  That's how the franchise should've ended.

Offline Akira

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 05:58:14 PM »
Quote from: Shadowmage
The Evangelion television series came before the manga, so this statement is a bit unfair.  (Seriously, if Anno had 10 years to write the script, I'm sure the show would have turned out differently)

Shadowmage, I'm going to have to call you out on that one; the Eva manga started running eight months before the anime did. >_>;;

Offline Boris Moskovitz

• http://www.menarebetterthanwomen.com

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 07:54:30 PM »
the Eva manga started running eight months before the anime did. >_>;;

Well, what do you know? It's true! But in spite of the date of debut of both versions suggesting otherwise, we all know which is the original.

However, I must say I prefer the manga version. It seems as though, while Shinji's just as angsty as ever, he's got an actual set of testicles strapped on him this time around.

I don't think the anime Ikari would ever have tried to beat the shit out of his jerkwad of a dad, nor would he have told Kawru to basically "**** off" in the stead of being suspiciously passive to his advances. Oh, and the manga characters are also much more likable (or maybe just less detestable).

No, but yeah. I've been following the Eva manga since elementary school, and the sloooooooooooow publishing is giving me the worst case of blue balls ever.

At least Detective Conan's main plot's god-awful pacing, with the title character's almost-futile chasing of the ever-elusive Black Organization** made up for the frustration with a huge-ass library to keep this bored teenager occupied with.

**Rooting for Conan's chasing the Black Organization is like rooting for Wile Coyote, really. The only difference is that, unlike Road Runner, the BO only appears once every 80 chapters.

Oh, and to keep a footing on topic, I'd definitely like a new anime adaptation of Bastard!!

MOAR DARK SCHNEIDER!

Death Note:
Why bother when the manga has such a lame ending?
Well, it's not over yet. Maybe the animu can still be saved from Shitty Ending Hell. =/

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 08:13:13 PM »
Quote from: royal crown
Honestly, while it was a little eccentric, I think that "My Two Wings" would be an interesting anime. Dunno if it would be good or not.
Oh God.  Oooh... God.  Nice going, RC.  You just broke my brain.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 11:03:04 PM »
20th Century Boys. I heard a live action is hitting the screens some time next year, but that is going to fail miserably. Please stop making manga->live action or anime->live action conversions. Please, someone. (I'm sure a director's already heard my cry and he shares my sympathies!)

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 12:03:20 AM »
A 20th Century Boys movie would have to be either 9 hours a long or a trilogy type thing to do the story any justice at all.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 12:32:24 AM »
Quote from: DarkKanti
A 20th Century Boys movie would have to be either 9 hours a long or a trilogy type thing to do the story any justice at all.
The same problem for Monster, after hearing that a Hollywood adaptation may be in the works.

Sorry for going off-topic guyz, but I need to say something sometimes :( .

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 09:42:34 PM »
Forget about going off-topic, this is a free board. No one has the right to tell you to stay on topic, especially if you're still adding something, yet not being obtrusive or obnoxious.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 02:12:53 PM »
Stay on topic Tama!

*Shakes fist

:V

That's the closest thing to an angry smilie that we have.

Offline Akira

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 06:50:28 PM »
Oh, you know what other manga shouldn't have been made into an anime?

Suzuka. -_-

Much to my chagrin. It's one of those series that holds a special place in my heart. If you ask me, I wouldn't know why.

I have to say though, I'm a huge fan of manga. I think everything is better in manga format.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 07:33:38 PM »
I think everything is better in film format. Go figure. Ever tried watching a film/anime and then reading the manga counterpart? Cough Fullmetal Alchemist, Evangelion...and so on. I think I'm biased, though, because I'm a motion-picture guy.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 09:55:02 PM »
Yeah, I like anime much better personally. I think there's a dimension that's sorely missing in manga inherently - that it cannot impact on visceral things like music, sound, and animation. When dealing with something like manga, it's going to be different from a novel in that it doesn't offer the freedom of imagination as a book does. Everything that's said in manga is accompanied by a visual image, so it necessarily stints that facet of imagination that novels contain. On the other hand, it can't quite compete with full-fledged animation because it's only pictures and words - storyboards and a script, if you will. And while this may just be me, I don't feel the, err, epic-ness in manga that I feel in anime. So for me, manga lies in this weird middle ground, where it can't take advantage of the benefits of a novel while being constrained from the benefits of film. Of course, this is all IMO, YMMV, etc...

Wow, I just realized how off-topic my post is. This discussion deserves its own thread.

Offline Akira

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 10:36:33 PM »
Tama: I'd have to disagree with you on Evangelion.

RC: SAGE

I can see why people don't like manga, especially sports manga. ...YOU CAN'T SEE THE ACTION. Horizontal lines =/= Action.

I like manga though, since I read/watch mostly slice-of-life, and manga definitely captures the mood better.

Offline ParaParaJMo

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 08:23:46 AM »
I believe the creator of Marmalade Boy admitted that she didn't like the anime.
Anyway, I wish they made the Berserk anime faithful to the anime. I wish they also continued the Hajime no Ippo anime as well. Where the anime ends is where the manga gets really exciting and just only gets better.

I also wish they also included the real ending to Hokuto no Ken like show the brief story arc when Ken meets Ryu, his nephew (Raoh's son) and when he loses his memory and has to save Batto and Rin again but he uses Hokuto Shinken out of coincidence.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up