Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 10:29:28 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 55 Word Fiction  (Read 3818 times)

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

55 Word Fiction
« on: March 28, 2007, 07:34:06 PM »
Idea stolen from Something Awful Forums:

I was rummaging around my My Documents folder early today when I stumbled upon an old English assignment. The assignment was to write a piece of fiction no longer than 55 words in length. As it turns out, my English teacher wasn't as fabulously original as he made himself out to be; Wikipedia explains the origins of 55 Fiction below:[indent]     Wikipedia posted:

The origin of 55 Fiction can be traced to a short story writing contest organized by New Times, an independent alternative weekly in San Luis Obispo, in 1987. The idea was proposed by New Times founder and publisher Steve Moss. New Times, while often mistakenly believed to be part of the New Times chain of papers, is actually part of the smaller, San Luis Obispo-county based New Times Media Group, which also owns the Santa Maria Sun.

[/indent]Read the full article for more information, or for some general pointers on writing your own.

Writing 55 Fiction is easy and fun, and anyone can do it. However, there are a few rules to follow. All 55 Fiction must include the following:

1) Exactly 55 words.
2) A setting.
3) A character (or more).
4) Some conflict.
5) Some sort of resolution.

The first three are absolutely essential, but the last two can be reasonably bent or broken if the result is either a) very, very good, or b) very, very funny. 55 Fiction can be dramatic, poignant, or just plain silly. My own example, written in, shall we say, a less sensitive sociopolitical climate, is written as comedy, before anyone gets upset about the premise.

And so, without any further adieu, let's write stories that are 55 words long!

She turned the corner onto 5th Avenue, walking quickly. The air reeked with the stench of nail polish and gasoline. As she hurried past the stores, the glint of diamonds caught her eye. She checked her wallet to see how much cash she had. Not much.

Meghan had never sucked a d!ck for money before...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 08:12:08 PM by Phelddagrif »

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: 55 Word Fiction
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 09:06:11 AM »
The throne room was empty; there were only two people within. One was clad in her nightrobe, her face serene; the other with his sword drawn, eyes full of hate.

"Suprised?" spat the man. "Tonight you die."

The woman was tranquil. As the man approached ---

A thump. He fell, an arrow lodged in his head.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 01:27:10 PM »
"As the rain splashed lightly on his face, he took a worn picture out of his pocket. Him, his wife, and his two children – he would miss them dearly. He wondered how everything he worked for went spiraling desperately out of control. That would remain a mystery forever more. Smiling faintly, he pulled the trigger."

Bleh. I'm not a fan of the 55 word essay. Then again, I'm a really wordy writer =/

Offline Dtortot

• Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.mangareviewer.com

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 10:09:07 PM »
"What!?You'vedoneitagainhaven'tyou?" "But, but, honey..." "Honey... nothing, how many times must I tell you that I am in charge off what happens in here. Specially when I have the chance to be here. I don't care what you do when I am off in a business trip. How dare you cum in my face so soon?!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up