Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 12:08:11 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2008 Miyazaki film announced  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Theowne

2008 Miyazaki film announced
« on: March 19, 2007, 04:47:06 PM »
I don't know if I'm the only Ghibli fan here but:

March 19, 2007 Miyazaki's Next Film Announced
Hayao Miyazaki's next film was announced today. The title is "Gake no ue no Ponyo" (Ponyo On A Cliff) and is scheduled for release in the summer of 2008.

The plot revolves around the Princess goldfish Ponyo who wants to become human and 5 years old boy named Sosuke. Key words of the film are "father", "mother", and "a cliff".

While not announced as the location Tomo-no-Ura in Seto-naikai is the likely setting as Miyazaki spent some time there last spring.

The model for Sosuke is Goro Miyazaki (Hayao's son) when he was 5 years old.

This film is expressed in a watercolor and pastel-like freehand drawing. Studio Ghibli President Toshio Suzuki mentioned, "70 or 80% of the stage is the sea. How will we express the sea and a wave in a freehand drawing, it's the director's challenge."

Additional news and commentary from GhibliWorld.

Thanks to T.Ishikawa for the news.

Great news, especially that Miyazaki conceived the story. While Howl's Moving Castle was a good film, I've always felt his strongest movies were those he conceived himself or had considerable creative license with. It sounds unique and I'm eager to see what Miyazaki can do with this kind of story. Summer 2008 seems so long away....

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: 2008 Miyazaki film announced
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 06:03:39 PM »
It's good that Goro isn't directing this time; Tales from Earthsea = subpar T_T

And yes, him writing the story is good. I'm not a HUGE ghibli fan, but I'm curious as to how this turns out.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 02:22:40 AM »
Considering I've seen only a handful of Miyazaki and Ghibli films, I can honestly say that I'm not all that excited. I'm sure I'll watch it at some point, but I don't plan on going rabid trying to find a subbed copy the day after the release.

*shrugs*

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 06:06:22 AM »
Having recently watched totoro and other miyazaki works I've already watched, I've come to appreciate and value his work much higher than before. So yes, I'm interested, but it's going to be a long time so -__-

But I'll definitely get my torrent running as soon as the community let me know if the sub is out.

Offline Ariani

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:59:26 AM »
This is the most underwhelmed I've ever seen any anime community be about Ghibli. Were Earthsea and Howl really that bad?

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 02:28:40 PM »
I think Ghibli and Miyazaki are both a bit overrated. I mean sure, their movies are good, but I wouldn't ever put them in the realm of perfection. Personally, his films have too many environmental tones to them, it can even be considered as naturalism at times. If it comes to theaters here, I might watch it. Otherwise it's a pass for me, unless he does something different from his norm.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 05:45:15 PM »
@Ariani

I haven't seen Earthsea but from what I've heard, it's inferior than the worst Miyazaki creation so my only guess is that it's not very stellar. As for howl's moving castle, I still enjoyed it. I rate it bit higher than your average anime critics because I loved the music, typical miyazaki style animation (which is to say, awesome), incredible attention to details whether it's background art or the way character moves with a certain facial expression, which all takes me to another wonderfully imagined world that you can't experience often in anime these days. Storytelling is inferior than Miyazaki's previous works (his works before Spirited away i think) but that was never the strong point of Miyazaki to me.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 06:00:52 PM »
I thought Howl's was a great film, well and truly deserved of acclaim, etc, just down a bit on his previous works.  People carry such lofty expectations of Miyazaki because he's been delivering at such an impeccable level for years.  While recently his films have still been great, they haven't been spectacular in the way they were during the 80s and 90s, and many of his top fans have been left disappointed.

I'm looking forward to his film, I'm just looking forward to a whole heap of other stuff as well, maybe moreso.  Nonetheless, I've just learnt with time not to build expectations, since that's the first step towards being disappointed.  I've yet to see Earthsea, but from what I've heard it's a real flop and the fact that the main behind the camera has had no experience or training in film and is only there because he's someone's son makes it no real surprise.  I'll still watch it when it gets released here, but I have pretty low expectations for it, Ghibli or not.

Offline Tyrdium

• DAAAAAAA!
    • http://www.tyrdium.com

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 09:14:54 PM »
Quote from: Ariani
This is the most underwhelmed I've ever seen any anime community be about Ghibli. Were Earthsea and Howl really that bad?
Howl's Moving Castle was incredibly pretty. If you don't feel like anything particularly cerebral, it's a very enjoyable movie. Light fare.
[ LJ | ASIP | Home ]

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 12:06:23 AM »
Exactly.  It wasn't that it was bad per se, but that it was just light fare and nothing truly special.  I enjoyed Howl, but I would have enjoyed it much more if it had gone closer to the more delightful book.  Instead, the storyline was twisted to include some kind of fake-feeling war and a moral that was never in the book in the first place.  Miyazaki sure seems to like his messages about war.  Seems like most of his films have something in that regard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up