Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 09:44:24 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trick  (Read 2966 times)

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Trick
« on: March 02, 2007, 04:02:21 AM »
This series is one of my favorite. It deals with an unique subject (figuring out magicians' tricks). But beyond that, I enjoy it for its cast of quirky characters. The reviews for seasons 1 and 2 will be up soon, but until then, let's discuss.

The only major issue with this series is the comedy, which is very cultural in nature. Sometimes, I felt some lines that were supposed to be jokes go straight over my head. The second season had a better translation than the first, so I enjoyed it more. But it seems harder to give an objective rating on the quality of the series when there are parts you just can't understand.  In a way, I feel that I'm almost being unfair to the series, when my opinion of it depends so much upon how good the translation is.

For instance, one little tidbit: the way that both Yamadas hang up the phone. They end their calls by saying "kuru" or "kuru kuru," I think, which was translated as "I turn" on my acquired copy. Not sure if the translation is wrong or just very literal. But one particular instance, when Naoko is offended by something her mother says, she says "Kuru!" in a strange posture, standing on one leg with her other in the air and her hand holding the phone up. Is this just an overly dramatized farewell or an underlying pop culture reference?

It's just that little things like that, tiny snapshots throughout the series, make me wonder. I love this show, but sometimes there are moments in it that I just don't understand.

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: Trick
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 09:54:57 PM »
I love Trick. It's had a lasting influence on me and my family; whenever we wake up with crazy hair we say we're "doing that Ueda thing."

I've seen all three seasons, and you're right, dheu, the comedy is extremely cultural. A huge running joke involves everyone pronouncing Kanji wrong. It's hilarious to see everyone's looks of confusion, but people who don't understand the language are like, "wait wut lol"

BUt yeah. Absolutely hilarious, I love it. I recommend it to anyone.

"DONTO KOI!"
I don't have opinions. I have facts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up