Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 08:02:12 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5 Centimeters per Second  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

5 Centimeters per Second
« on: February 06, 2007, 07:33:27 PM »
A preview of this movie from Shinkai Makoto (Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised in Our Early Days) has been released.   You can find it if you scroll down here.

While the first few seconds of dialogue sound strikingly like the Place Promised in Our Early Days, I'm sure that Shinkai still has a few aces up his sleeves.  The music seems to have taken a step backwards, but the animation is as beautiful as ever.   I'm eagerly waiting for this to be released.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 08:50:01 PM by Shadowmage »

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: 5 Centimeters per Second
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 08:46:44 PM »
Is he still animating these himself on a computer like Voices of a Distant Star? The animation truly does look amazing if this is just coming from a one-man team. Tee music... eheheh... I didn't understand what was going on in that due to my lack of understanding Japanese, but it looks like it's gonna have the same feel as Makoto's other works... it'll be interesting to see how he does this, especially because the title (sub-title?) is suggestive of several small vignettes chained together.

Offline Theowne

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 11:46:41 AM »
A sub of part one is out now.  Anyone else seen it?

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 02:40:32 PM »
I'm waiting for the whole thing to come out (and subbed) before I watch it.  Nonetheless, I'm really anticipating it.  Hopefully it'll be better than his last movie, which disappointed me a little.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 07:06:24 AM »
Music doesn't take a step backwards at all actually, the piano pieces used in background music are beautiful and establish that bittersweet atmosphere.

Art is what you'd expect from Matoko, stunningly beautiful with every attention on the details. But having seen both voice of the stars and place promised, it was only to be expected. A 'given factor' if you will.

Another thing I appreciated was different perspectives that was beautifully drawn, which was a refreshing change for me after getting used to so many b-rate animes I'm watching recently.

As for the story, the sci-fi aspect is gone, which is better in my opinion because that is what ruined lot of feelings I had for Place Promised. Sci-fi was much better in voice of stars because it was more poetic to just see that sci-fi universe rather than seeing how the phenomenons in Place Promised is explained in scientific terms, which adds nothing to the drama, if anything, it removes some of it). In this short part of movie, no attempt to use symbols or poetic devices in sci-fi element is made. Mainly relying on the monologues (which I am already used to from his previous two works) to depict their life and relationship separated by the great distance (his trade-mark theme), I think an interesting theme of time has been added in the branch of distance theme. The feeling of waiting for her letter, the only bridge between their divide. Resentment of the fact that one has to take hours of train ride just to see her face and tell her things that you couldn't in a letter. Feeling of wondering when the train will start moving again. Staring at the watch, watching, and hearing each hand tick. Feels like watching a paint dr...er I mean, a sakura blossom fall one by one, only that it's pale and cold snows falling from the sky at 5 centimeters per second. And that very falling snows delaying the train that carries his heart. Fearing that she's still waiting for him, wishing that she would stop waiting for him because it hurts him so much, yet hoping that she would wait for him at the same time. And they finally meet. O the joy. Was there a moment in his life that was more happier than this moment. Was there really a meal that tasted better than this. And at her words, her smile, even that cold and pale snow landing on her hand that separated them for JUST BIT TOO LONG, seems like that beautiful cherry blossom one year ago. Ah. Can this moment of tender kiss, that seems to melt away all the snow between their distance last longer. Like the time it takes for all the cherry blossoms to fall.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 10:25:44 AM »
Quote from: C0MPL3X
Music doesn't take a step backwards at all actually, the piano pieces used in background music are beautiful and establish that bittersweet atmosphere.

Art is what you'd expect from Matoko, stunningly beautiful with every attention on the details. But having seen both voice of the stars and place promised, it was only to be expected. A 'given factor' if you will.

Another thing I appreciated was different perspectives that was beautifully drawn, which was a refreshing change for me after getting used to so many b-rate animes I'm watching recently.

As for the story, the sci-fi aspect is gone, which is better in my opinion because that is what ruined lot of feelings I had for Place Promised. Sci-fi was much better in voice of stars because it was more poetic to just see that sci-fi universe rather than seeing how the phenomenons in Place Promised is explained in scientific terms, which adds nothing to the drama, if anything, it removes some of it). In this short part of movie, no attempt to use symbols or poetic devices in sci-fi element is made. Mainly relying on the monologues (which I am already used to from his previous two works) to depict their life and relationship separated by the great distance (his trade-mark theme), I think an interesting theme of time has been added in the branch of distance theme. The feeling of waiting for her letter, the only bridge between their divide. Resentment of the fact that one has to take hours of train ride just to see her face and tell her things that you couldn't in a letter. Feeling of wondering when the train will start moving again. Staring at the watch, watching, and hearing each hand tick. Feels like watching a paint dr...er I mean, a sakura blossom fall one by one, only that it's pale and cold snows falling from the sky at 5 centimeters per second. And that very falling snows delaying the train that carries his heart. Fearing that she's still waiting for him, wishing that she would stop waiting for him because it hurts him so much, yet hoping that she would wait for him at the same time. And they finally meet. O the joy. Was there a moment in his life that was more happier than this moment. Was there really a meal that tasted better than this. And at her words, her smile, even that cold and pale snow landing on her hand that separated them for JUST BIT TOO LONG, seems like that beautiful cherry blossom one year ago. Ah. Can this moment of tender kiss, that seems to melt away all the snow between their distance last longer. Like the time it takes for all the cherry blossoms to fall.
Errr... why does your post sound familiar?

Anyways, the one-man crew Makoto Shinkai is at it again and perhaps this may be his greatest work of all time. Unlike his two previous illustrious works, 5cm/sec seems to be almost perfect for me. It evades the pitfall to Hoshi no Koe's setback by drastically improving on the visuals and capturing beautiful scenes; and Place Promised's by keeping it condensed and concise.

Oh yeah, the first part of the movie pulled it off with grace for me. I'm now waiting for the other two to come out and see whether they are as engrossing as the first.

* AC crosses his fingers for the next two parts

Offline Theowne

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 08:52:40 PM »
Are you sure it's still a one-man crew?  According to wikipedia, "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" was the film to diverge from the one-man team of previous movies and 5cm per second has a staff list of a few other people who worked on it.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 09:29:06 PM »
Quote from: Theowne
Are you sure it's still a one-man crew? According to wikipedia, "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" was the film to diverge from the one-man team of previous movies and 5cm per second has a staff list of a few other people who worked on it.
I know. I didn't literally mean it, so I guess you didn't get the point.

What I meant by one-man is simply how he did alot in working out his anime, especially for Hoshi no Koe. I am fully aware that he did have his other crew members to work it out for him.

Offline Theowne

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 06:09:44 AM »
Uh, I was actually thinking more of this poster:......

Quote from: royal crown
Is he still animating these himself on a computer like Voices of a Distant Star? The animation truly does look amazing if this is just coming from a one-man team.

However....in regards to your post...using the term "one-man" team/crew usually implies a "team" of "one man".

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 12:51:46 PM »
Yeah, I checked wikipedia, and the dude's got 5 people in it, so I guess I was wrong. I still think 5 people is pretty impressive though. Either way, I can't wait.

Oh, and as for the music, I was referring to the song sung during the preview. I didn't care for it personally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up