Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 06:43:31 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Singles Review Thread  (Read 3593 times)

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

The Singles Review Thread
« on: February 04, 2007, 09:15:16 AM »
No, this isn't a place to review your hot date, but a spot to finally review those wonderful (or not so wonderful) J-music singles that are out there!  The ones that have just been dying to be reviewed.

I'll kick it off.

Single: Ryuuseigun
Artist: Onitsuka Chihiro
Musicians: Onitsuka Chihiro
Release Date: 6 Feb 2002

Tracklisting

01. Ryuuseigun
02. Fly to Me
03. Ryuuseigun (instrumental)

OVERVIEW

I have to admit, I have a weakness for Onitsuka Chihiro's voice.  Ever since I first heard her "Gekkou" at the end of the first season of Trick, she's ranked as one of my absolute favorite vocalists, female or male.  Since I tend to favor male singers almost to the complete exclusion of female vocalists, as far as I'm concerned, that's very high praise.

Ryuuseigun has the same gorgeous vocals and downright beautiful melodies as many of her other songs.  The title track is particularly breathtaking, with an aching sort of beauty that rings throughout each verse and comes out full-throttle in the strong chorus.  Onitsuka Chihiro has an outstanding voice and she knows how to use it to full effect.  "Fly to Me" is softer than "Ryuuseigun," with a lighter and gentler sound.  But both songs on this single are incredibly moving, with swelling acoustic instrumentals backing up her voice, supporting her without detracting from her performance.  

Ryuuseigun is an awesome single with two songs you'll definitely want to put on repeat.  I highly recommend it.

The Rating: 10/10

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: The Singles Review Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 11:21:34 AM »
As the other music reviewer, I'll conform.

Single: Yumekui
Artist: Otsuka Ai
Musicians: Otsuka Ai
Release Date: 2 Aug 2006

Tracklisting

01. Yumekui
02. tears

03. Yumekui (instrumental)
04. tears (instrumental)

OVERVIEW
[/B]

Ever since I saw Otsuka Ai in a beautiful red t-shirt and jeans on a Toshiba comercial singing "Yumekui", I knew that this had to be one of her best songs. In a sense, you could call the "sellout" song, but since she's from avex and a pop singer, there's no such thing as selling out. Why? Well, these two pieces were from the movie she starred in, "Tokyo Friends: the Movie." Enough background now.

"Yumekui." A nonsensical title, but a rather beautiful piece. It's one of those "pop/rock" songs, although definitely more pop. Her voice is absolutely beautiful in this song, and the chorus comes out as powerful and memorable. While the verses are nothing too spectacular, they have this charming feel, in contrast with the power of the chorus. Overall, it's a nice blend.

"tears", on the other hand, is completely different. A soft, tender ballad, it's probably one of her only songs to date that uses absolutely no bass. The result: her voice is emphasized by a simple piano and violin, and the soothing sound of her singing makes this song a prefect song to calm you down. Arguably, this song could be better than Yumekui, depending on your tastes.

Overall, this single was extremely enjoyable. There's no major flaws, her voice sounds as beautiful as ever, and the A-side and B-side provide a great contrast. I definitely recommend it.

THE RATING: 9/10
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: The Singles Review Thread
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 12:15:53 PM »
Oooooohhhhhh!!!

When I get some time (actually I do have some time...but I should be doing school work...oh well), I'll post a review. Yay!

(sorry, I got excited)
When in doubt, speak Italian and sing "Seven Nation Army"
Pages: [1]   Go Up