Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 16, 2017, 07:24:06 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nintendo DS lite  (Read 5325 times)

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

Nintendo DS lite
« on: February 02, 2007, 08:51:01 PM »
I have a question for all of you, about a predicament that has stumped me for quite awhile...

Where have all the DS's gone?

I wanted to buy a DS for Christmas, so I went a week after Christmas, after all the heat had (I thought) went down enough to get one. Sold out at 2 places. Ok, whatever, I can wait, I'm not in that big of a rush to get a DS lite.

I wait till January 15th - ish. There's a debate tournament coming up with a 6 hour bus ride, so I decide that it would be nice to have one going into it. Sold out at 5 stores, including the 2 stores I had been to before. Wtf, where'd all the stock go from Christmas? Everyone there said they expect stock in a couple of days. Whatever, I know they're lying so there's not much I can do about it.

It is now February 2nd. WHERE ARE THE DS'ES? Not only did I go to a total of 11 stores (the 5 from prior, plus 6 more), but everywhere I look online they're gone besides eBay (which I refuse to buy from because their prices are jacked up). This is beyond all patience I hold... no, this is beyond all rational perception. It's been two MONTHS since Christmas, and not an NDSLite to be seen.

Does anyone have ANY idea where the heck this came from? Actually, if anyone can actually find one around them, tell me about it, because I might take a road trip over, even if it's 6 hours to get there. Yeah, I'm that annoyed.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Re: Nintendo DS lite
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 09:07:57 PM »
Ironically enough, I faced the same problem.  It seems that Nintendo did not expect this sudden surge of demand for DS's; thus, they physically cannot pump enough systems to meet the current market demand.  It seems that everyone (like you and me) suddenly wanted to go out and buy a DS, so Nintendo could not possibly adjust in time.  I doubt they will increase the numbers of DS's made, simply because this surge in demand may be temporary.  However, it's been 40 days since I've seen a DS on the shelves; even my patience is wearing thin.

Nintendo might come out with a press release apologizing for not meeting market demand, just like they did in Japan.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 10:32:28 AM »
I have no idea why there is a sudden surge in demand for the DS.  All I know is that before Christmas when I tried to line up to get a Wii there was a line for the DS Lite that was as long as the Wii line.  There aren't any DSs here either.

I've heard that Wiis are probably going to keep selling out until May.  I wonder if the DS is going to be the same.

Offline Ariani

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 08:28:37 AM »
DS Lite are still cheaper and easier to produce than Wiis; the drought won't last that long.

That being said, I'm still waiting myself. I have an original DS, but the Lite fits my needs better. Lightweight + Brighter screen = better for playing while walking to work.

I'm going out hunting again tonight. Wish me luck!

Offline Risen Hell Fire

• The Researcher

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 12:39:27 PM »
Good question, I've heard alot about the DS being as scarce as the Wii. I hope to get new one soon because my current DS's, I've had it since December 2004, left trigger button is stuck and won't work anymore.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 02:40:39 PM »
Still sold out... OK, I'm getting impatient now. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl comes out in April, and at this rate I won't have even got it by then; if I can't play it, heads will roll. WILL ROLL.

Also, There are no used DS regulars around me. Illinois sucks

Offline Ariani

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 02:54:50 PM »
Depends on where in Illinois you are. I live in the Chicago suburbs, and it's always hell trying to find limited quantity items around here because the population is so huge. Further down south, though, it's easier. At least it was for me back when I was in college.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 04:23:40 PM »
Quote from: Ariani
Depends on where in Illinois you are. I live in the Chicago suburbs, and it's always hell trying to find limited quantity items around here because the population is so huge. Further down south, though, it's easier. At least it was for me back when I was in college.

This was true untl Ebay came along.  Now people buy it to turn around and sell it.

Offline Ariani

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 04:27:01 PM »
Ebay was around when I was in college... I'm not THAT old D:

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 06:39:04 PM »
Ebay was around when I was in college... I'm not THAT old D:

True, but few knew of the potency of Ebay until the PS3s started selling for $2000 a piece on the site.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 07:51:14 PM »

o_o. I live in the Chicago suburbs as well.
-pulls down shades and locks doors-
Just kidding >>. Hell, if you do live anywhere near Chicagoland and see a DS, let me know. I'll probably drive all the way out there even if it's like an hour from my house. I want to play FF3 really badly.

Offline Ariani

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 08:37:41 PM »
Quote from: royal crown
o_o. I live in the Chicago suburbs as well.
-pulls down shades and locks doors-
Just kidding >>. Hell, if you do live anywhere near Chicagoland and see a DS, let me know. I'll probably drive all the way out there even if it's like an hour from my house. I want to play FF3 really badly.

The Meijers in Bolingbrook (Will County) has 6 pink ones when I went in today. Bought one for mself, so now there's five.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 09:46:35 PM »
Oh dear god, pink ._. You know, bolingbrook is like 20 minutes from my house, so if I get desperate enough I might actually get one. I'd much rather not get pink though.

It just won't be exposed to anyone, that's all

Offline Ariani

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 06:15:47 AM »
You can always get one of those full body covers or something. I actually wanted a pink one, so I was happy  :V
Pages: [1]   Go Up