Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 16, 2017, 07:23:02 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A review from me  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Risen Hell Fire

• The Researcher

A review from me
« on: January 17, 2008, 09:52:26 PM »
Since, the thread from 2006 states, that we can still submit a review of game. I  decided to try my hand at it.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan

Title: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (English translation Go! Fight! Cheersquad)
Genre: Music based rhythm
Company: iNiS
Platform: DS
Release Date: July 25th 2005 (Japan only)

Synopsis: A few folks in a small town in Japan have been having it rough lately and it's up to the Friendly, if not assertive, Neighborhood Cheersquad to pick these sad sacks up and get their life back in motion. By Dancing!!!

The Highlights
Graphics: Colorful, still looks good 2 years later
Gameplay: Addictive, easy to get into, difficult to master
Sound: Great collection, will have you singing along.
Extras: Not much on stuff to do after.

From the folks that brought the unknown classic Gitaroo man comes what is easily the greatest DS game of all time. The game has you playing the roles of Ouendans, Japanese equivalent to cheerleaders, only cooler. It's your job to perk up the down citizens of your city. You'd be surprised what's going on in that city.

The Gameplay is pretty simple, for Hit Markers you tap the circles, they are numbered, when the outer circle closes in into the inner circle with in the beat of the music.  For Phrase Markers, you tap the stylus on the beginning of the path and hold it while guiding a ball from one side to the other. There will be sides that send the ball back from whence it came and so on. For the Spin Markers, well, that should be obvious, you spin. While simple it's amazingly addictive and will have you playing stages multiple times because they are fun. Never have I've been bored when playing a stage.

Though, the only downside to the gameplay is if you want  to play against another player your friend will have to have a copy of the game. Otherwise, it's all you playing by yourself.

The soundtrack is the heart of this game. With a collection of 15 hit songs from Japan, you'll sure to find something to like. The most recognizable tune is L'Arc-en-Ciel – Ready Steady Go from the Cult classic anime Full Metal Alchemist. No matter how many times you play the stage, you'll never get tired of the songs.

You may be wondering, since this game is only Japanese will I need to know a lot of Japanese to play it? The answer is no.  Unless you want to read the text that go through the cut scenes and game it's not necessary. All the menus are easy to navigate through and pretty easy to understand, after a little while of feeling around to get used to it. The cut scenes them selves are pretty easy to understand what's going on thanks to them being animated.

There's so much I could tell you about this game, but I'm afraid it will keep you from buying it and checking out your self. Don't worry, you can play it on an American DS. So go out there, and cheer the city up

The Rating: 10

A short review, but I say it's gets the message out pretty well. So what do you think?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 05:51:54 AM by Risen Hell Fire »

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: A review from me
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:26:10 PM »
Full Metal Alchemist was a cult classic? Lol.

Anyway, pretty good review. I actually might get my hands on a copy if the Japanese isn't overbearing, since I know none.
Pages: [1]   Go Up