Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 09:33:42 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey, could you guys review <insert whatever here>.  (Read 44102 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Hey, could you guys review <insert whatever here>.
« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2016, 10:36:07 PM »
Nah.

We all know Urusei Yatsura was an influential and entertaining series.  Going back and watching a long running show just to provide more validation for something already well validated by many others isn't really that beneficial.  We have enough stuff to cover just with the new seasons that it would simply be difficult and inefficient to go back and review an oldie but goldie.

But, if one of our reviewers wants to take a shot, they can have at it.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline P7500

« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2016, 01:18:34 AM »
We all know Urusei Yatsura was an influential and entertaining series.

Who's we? All the reviewers on this site? Have you all watched the show?

If so, that's all the more reason to review it, because the anime community of today barely knows it, and you'd be uncovering an old classic.

Going back and watching a long running show just to provide more validation for something already well validated by many others isn't really that beneficial.

Was the Maison Ikkoku review not that beneficial? What about Dragon ball Z? Armored Trooper Votoms? All the Universal Century Gundam? The site even has two Inuyasha reviews, both detailing why the show was mediocre; were they beneficial?

We have enough stuff to cover just with the new seasons that it would simply be difficult and inefficient to go back and review an oldie but goldie.

How is it difficult and inefficient though? If you were trying to watch everything in a week, I could see a problem, but if you were watching 1 episode a day, it couldn't be too inconvenient.

Offline Kavik Ryx

• Yellow Ranger
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • Einlayzner's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with EInlayzner using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Zyxro

« Reply #167 on: September 12, 2016, 10:39:41 AM »
It comes down to motivation and reviewer preference. There is a lot more motivation to review more recent shows which it is possible to have fresher impression of than something one of us may have seen five years ago. Having had reviewed VOTOMS, I gave myself a second watching before writing the review, which was of course over 50 episodes that I needed to rewatch. Though many reviewers here may have seen and enjoyed Urusei Yatasura, they don't have the time or drive to refresh. Having said that, I'll admit to never having seen it, and would be likely to review it when I have the opportunity to see it. That being said, my anime backlog is long and is competing with books, studies/work, and other writing projects.

The whole site is a labor of love, so it comes down to the time and energy one can devote and what they want to devote it to. Just some shows haven't come up yet. It's all a matter of time.

Offline P7500

« Reply #168 on: September 12, 2016, 03:46:37 PM »
It comes down to motivation and reviewer preference. There is a lot more motivation to review more recent shows which it is possible to have fresher impression of than something one of us may have seen five years ago. Having had reviewed VOTOMS, I gave myself a second watching before writing the review, which was of course over 50 episodes that I needed to rewatch. Though many reviewers here may have seen and enjoyed Urusei Yatasura, they don't have the time or drive to refresh. Having said that, I'll admit to never having seen it, and would be likely to review it when I have the opportunity to see it. That being said, my anime backlog is long and is competing with books, studies/work, and other writing projects.

The whole site is a labor of love, so it comes down to the time and energy one can devote and what they want to devote it to. Just some shows haven't come up yet. It's all a matter of time.

I completely understand, but if there's one point I may make; reviews at their core are recommendations. Positive reviews encourage the reader to watch a show, negative ones discourage.

It was literally your review that spurred me to pick up Votoms, and aside from the ludicrous final arc, I really enjoyed it. It proved reading that review worthwhile and encouraged me to check out more anime this site reviewed positively.

Obviously I don't need anyone here to tell me Urusei Yatsura is a good anime, however I think it's worth suggesting to provide exposure to a hidden gem that most of the anime community wouldn't even consider watching. This doesn't just apply to Urusei Yatsura either, there are numerous really good, older anime yet to be reviewed here in favor of keeping up with today's seasonals, where creativity is at an all time low.

Maybe I'm just speaking for myself here, but it's much more satisfying reading a positive review, followed by a great viewing experience, rather than a mediocre/negative review that convinces me to avoid picking up a show, something that's becoming trendy among more recent anime. Your reviews also persuaded me to pick up Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Area 88 and Giant Robo; they were definitely more fulfilling than being dissuaded to watch Monster Musume.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #169 on: September 12, 2016, 10:46:57 PM »
Who dissuaded you from watching Monster Musume?  What jackass gave that a bad review?  I'll fight them right now!
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2016, 01:04:50 AM »
I remember the day I wrote a *terrible review of Monster on an AA thread, and Niner shredded it to bits. It was memorable in more ways than one.

*the anime series was f**king awesome; it's my review that was terrible.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]  All   Go Up