Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 24, 2017, 02:37:49 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey, could you guys review <insert whatever here>.  (Read 44260 times)

Offline CNile

• Reviewer
  • I'm a very gifted post-cognitive.
    • CNile's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with CNile_ using Skype

Re: Hey, could you guys review <insert whatever here>.
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2014, 02:14:25 PM »
Can I make a request?
Well I mean, that's what this thread is for.

Night on the Galactic Railroad

It's the anime/story that heavily inspired Mawaru Penguindrum; it borrows a lot of the same imagery as well.
I can make it happen. I'm currently working on reviews for SAO II and Android Kikaider, but I think I can squeeze a review of this in before the end of this week or the next.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

Offline Aelms

« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2014, 08:51:35 PM »
This might be somewhat of an odd request but I'd like to see a review of a Gundam series not written by Shadowmage.

I really enjoy his insight considering his knowledge of the franchise as a whole but I would like to see how the UC series, particularly Unicorn, may hold to the NHRV reviewers who aren't necessarily Gundam fans.

Offline CNile

• Reviewer

« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2014, 08:47:28 AM »
This might be somewhat of an odd request but I'd like to see a review of a Gundam series not written by Shadowmage.

I really enjoy his insight considering his knowledge of the franchise as a whole but I would like to see how the UC series, particularly Unicorn, may hold to the NHRV reviewers who aren't necessarily Gundam fans.
I've never seen anything Gundam related in my life, I was never much for mecha series. I guess that makes me an ideal candidate for your request. Expect it 1-2 weeks after my Night on the Galactic Railroad review.

Offline Helmasaur

« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2014, 06:53:27 AM »
Well I mean, that's what this thread is for.

I can make it happen. I'm currently working on reviews for SAO II and Android Kikaider, but I think I can squeeze a review of this in before the end of this week or the next.

Awesome.

Also, not so much a request, but if you need to write a review but don't feel like plowing through a 20+ episode series, here are some awful movies to fill the gap:

Sword for Truth
Wicked City
Lily C.A.T. (this one's probably a bit challenging)
Mad Bull 34
Demon City Shinjuku
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer
Gall Force
Baoh (this is the absolute pinnacle of so bad it's funny)
Apocalypse Zero
Sin the Movie

I figure you'll take a liking to these seeing as you reviewed Violence Jack, Mars of Destruction, Bleach & Psychic Wars in a relatively short time-frame. Enjoy!

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2014, 07:08:09 AM »
I figure you'll take a liking to these seeing as you reviewed Violence Jack, Mars of Destruction, Bleach & Psychic Wars in a relatively short time-frame. Enjoy!

To be honest, I think we've spent enough time on titles like these. Reviewing anime that are renowned for being bad simply to remark on how bad they are is beating a dead horse. There are better titles worth putting time in. Focus not only on the titles you scorn, but also on those you appreciate.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:20:47 AM by Kiniest »
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Helmasaur

« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2014, 07:32:16 AM »

To be honest, I think we've spent enough time on titles like these. Reviewing anime that are renowned for being bad simply to remark on how bad they are is beating a dead horse. There are better titles worth putting time in. Focus not only on the titles you scorn, but also on those you appreciate.

Just offering some suggestions because it seemed to be the flavor of the last few months.

Offline CNile

• Reviewer

« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2014, 09:53:44 AM »
My slew of reviews of garbage was pretty much pure coincidence. It's not a flavor of the month or a preference of mine, so much as those shows just happened to be what I'd watched recently. If possible I'd like to start reviewing things that are a bit better, but for now the things I've been watching have been firmly in the 1-5 range.

With that said, although I wasn't much for Android Kikaider I didn't hate it, and I got a fair amount of enjoyment out of Night on the Galactic Railroad. SAO II though... there's not much to be optimistic about there.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:58:47 AM by CNile »

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2014, 02:37:55 PM »
I've never seen anything Gundam related in my life, I was never much for mecha series. I guess that makes me an ideal candidate for your request. Expect it 1-2 weeks after my Night on the Galactic Railroad review.

I actually don't recommend this; Unicorn is, to put it bluntly, a sequel (though what exactly it is a sequel to is blurry). The point is that it is communicating to the viewer from within a certain contextual/terminological space. Watching it from outside (like I tried to, and others as well) will result in confusion (or arguably a sense of how hard the show tries to be accessible despite its story structure and chronological position). As a review, it will be useful largely as a demonstration of what happens when you try to attack a saga in a deliberately difficult way, but probably not otherwise.

NHRV doesn't feel the need, for example, to publish alternate reviews of sequels where the reviewer hasn't seen the required earlier iterations.

But this is certainly an interesting topic. I wonder what other outlooks on this problem of accessibility there are. Discussion here could be productive.

P.S. it could perhaps serve as an experiment to see what the minimum necessary context is for Unicorn. From my experience, the absolute minimum context necessary for sbdy to watch and like Unicorn is (1)Gundam 0080, (2)Char's counterattack and (3) a long infodump summary of selected terminologies, in-universe references, Minovsky particles, etc. But #(3) over here was hardly neatly packaged. You can't replicate that for everybody.

An interesting alternate minimum-context approach to attack the franchise could be (1)0080, (2)the Zeta Gundam compilation movies, (3) Char's Counterattack, and then Unicorn.

Offline Helmasaur

« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2014, 01:57:40 AM »

I actually don't recommend this; Unicorn is, to put it bluntly, a sequel (though what exactly it is a sequel to is blurry). The point is that it is communicating to the viewer from within a certain contextual/terminological space. Watching it from outside (like I tried to, and others as well) will result in confusion (or arguably a sense of how hard the show tries to be accessible despite its story structure and chronological position). As a review, it will be useful largely as a demonstration of what happens when you try to attack a saga in a deliberately difficult way, but probably not otherwise.

NHRV doesn't feel the need, for example, to publish alternate reviews of sequels where the reviewer hasn't seen the required earlier iterations.

But this is certainly an interesting topic. I wonder what other outlooks on this problem of accessibility there are. Discussion here could be productive.

P.S. it could perhaps serve as an experiment to see what the minimum necessary context is for Unicorn. From my experience, the absolute minimum context necessary for sbdy to watch and like Unicorn is (1)Gundam 0080, (2)Char's counterattack and (3) a long infodump summary of selected terminologies, in-universe references, Minovsky particles, etc. But #(3) over here was hardly neatly packaged. You can't replicate that for everybody.

An interesting alternate minimum-context approach to attack the franchise could be (1)0080, (2)the Zeta Gundam compilation movies, (3) Char's Counterattack, and then Unicorn.

When you say 0080, I take it you mean 0079 (the original Mobile Suit Gundam)? 0080 is War in the Pocket.

Before watching Unicorn, I had only watched Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack. I could understand pretty much everything that went on in Unicorn and all-in-all, I'd rate it around a 7.5-8/10. Audrey has to be the most heavily contrived character I've ever seen; she alone was the biggest flaw in Unicorn.

Offline Hurrikane

« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2015, 09:37:30 PM »
Considering how many classic anime this site has reviewed, I'm surprised Urusei Yatsura hasn't been reviewed yet.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #160 on: August 11, 2015, 12:43:43 AM »
Can you please make a review of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun? Or the sequel of Mushi-shi?
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2016, 02:55:38 PM »
I'd really love to see a review of Rakugo - reception on this website for it's been a little silent, so I'd love to see what one of you guys think. If it's too early to write, because of its split season, I'd at least love to see one later down the line.

Offline Kaikyaku

• Reviewer

« Reply #162 on: April 19, 2016, 03:21:47 PM »
I'm working on one!

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #163 on: April 19, 2016, 03:54:27 PM »
Oooh, wonderful, music to my... eyes? I look forward to reading it!

Offline P7500

« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2016, 04:24:27 AM »
Seeing this site has multiple reviews for long-running Rumiko Takahashi series like Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha, I'm really surprised and kind of disappointed Urusei Yatsura hasn't gotten anything yet.

Easily one of the most influential and recognized anime in Japan and had an all-star production staff headed by Mamoru Oshii as the director, working alongside guys like Hiroyuki Hoshiyama, Yuji Moriyama and Kazuhiro Furuhashi, all very early in their careers. The second film, Beautiful Dreamer, is also considered an all-time great anime film.

If something like Inuyasha can get two reviews, Urusei Yatsura should get at least one.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12  All   Go Up