Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 09:28:29 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey, could you guys review <insert whatever here>.  (Read 44218 times)

Offline Kaikyaku

• Reviewer

Re: Hey, could you guys review <insert whatever here>.
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2012, 06:18:35 PM »
I haven't heard of this one before. I might the OVA a shot since it's only 3 episodes.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2012, 08:31:23 PM »
If I feel up to it I might throw out a review for it, I have seen it.

Offline KiriKomori

• ~Sensei...

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2012, 03:30:47 PM »
Hey, Do you guys mind reviewing Kamisama Kazoku (God Family)? I want to know you guys' opinion on it.

Offline kevo

• To kawaii to live, tu turu~ to die.
  • Reviewer
    • kevo's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with kevo31415 using Skype
    • Steam Community :: kevingamer
    • @kevo31415
    • Desu ex Machina

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2012, 07:02:10 PM »
Have not seen that one. I thought you meant Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, haha.

Offline Kylaran

• A Priori Impossibility
  • Administrator

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2012, 08:26:50 PM »
Kamisama Kazoku is a classic series that I've watched parts of. I may finish it one day and decide to review it, though I'm not sure how soon that would be. Since there's a request for it, I'll put it on my priority list after some reviews that I need to get done. I'm also a huge fan of the OP theme.

Offline stavie33

« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2012, 06:42:29 PM »
Surprised this show hasn't been reviewed, but is anyone interested in reviewing Martian Successor Nadesico? I'd be very curious to see what you guys think of it

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2012, 12:36:54 AM »
Nadesico is one of those shows I think we all viewed through some rose colored glasses a bit.  When you really think about it, the show, for most of it, was kind of shit.  But what kept it going was the quirks, the inspired exploration of unconventional themes, and the big plot twist.  It was really one of the first offbeat sci-fi shows that would eventually become popular.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline stavie33

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2012, 09:11:02 AM »
yeah I wondered about it too. For example, I absolutely hate the review sites themanime and the anime review, I think a lot of the critics have no clue what they are talking about and don't know how to properly 'review', however I was surprised that both sites gave Nadesico A and 5 stars. So I was wondering what nihonreview (you guys are my favorite anime review site, you write thoughtful reviews and explain your points and opinions and back them up with solid evidence and don't just say 'I thought this subjective because I like/don't like this no reason for it'), so I was curious what you guys would say about it. Similarly with shows like Yu Yu Hakusho, but that's a bit too long to expect a review for. You covered almost all the shows I'd really care about, your 10/10's are spot on and most of my favorite shows, and I really can't think of many others I'm even curious for you to review except those 2. Maybe older 80's shows, I don't see a review for Yamato or Galaxy Express, but those are both long and old series.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2012, 11:15:57 AM »
The problem with doing a Nadesico review now is probably one of fairness.  A lot of anime from various eras tend to get unfairly judged based on the anime of today.  Comparisons are always going to be drawn, but the real unfortunate problem will be the contrasting.  This works both ways, and is why I mentioned the "rose colored glasses" comment.  Some people get nostalgic for those "old and good" shows as opposed to the crap we have now, and some others are enamored with the stuff we have now and find too many technical flaws in the older stuff.

At the time, compared to it's peers, Nadesico was probably a 8 or 9 out of 10 anime.  Now?  Probably a 7 max.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline Kylaran

• A Priori Impossibility
  • Administrator

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2012, 01:47:11 PM »
Nadesico deserves to be better than average because of a few elements, such as its strength in comedy despite being a sci-fi show, its OP/EDs, and fairly good animation (from what I remember). I agree with what TIF says though: considering how our tastes are so different compared to what they were decades ago, it's real hard to just Nadesico fairly, even though it was a sort of genre-setting series (in terms of parody and self-aware anime).

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2012, 04:31:01 PM »
I tried to watch it a few years ago at the behest of an RL friend, and hated it.  I haven't even finished it, which is why I can't (wouldn't) review it.  I think it's one of those series which is driven by nostalgia, and if you weren't around anime at the time, it's very hard to connect to.

I too would like to have a Nadesico review in our database, but I wouldn't be the one to write it.  From memory, Shinmaru is a fan, and evidently both TIF and Kylaran have seen it.  We might make an attempt to add it to our database in the future, but it's the type of thing that I think would be low priority.

Offline Shinmaru

• FIRE! BOMBAHHHH!
  • Reviewer
    • Shinmaru | Anime-Planet
    • Shinmaru's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Shinmaru
    • UNMEI KAIHEN

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2012, 05:45:12 PM »
I was going to write a review a while back, but then I got too busy with stuff. Maybe I'll write one when I have more time. Also, for the record, Sorrow-kun is a grumpy poophead.

Offline stavie33

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2012, 09:20:22 PM »
I don't know Sorrow-kun, I agree with a lot of your reviews and opinions, but I saw Nadesico for the first time fairly recently (2 years ago I'll call recent) and I thought it was pretty darn good. Now this isn't saying it's fantastic or above a 7 rating, but I thought it was a good show, when compared to others at the time, felt to me at least pretty unique. Considering it came out doing space mechas a year or so after Eva and had some similar character types at first, and then the show made itself it's own in style, characters, and plot. It felt in the end fairly unique, though not without it's flaws. But when I saw it getting reviews from bs sites, even though they are bs (by bs I mean same reviewer gives FLCL 2/5 stars and gives Mahoromantic 4.5/5 stars, later changing it to 4/5), they (and some other sites) gave it 5 stars, A rating, 9/10 I was very surprised. So I wondered what I think the fairest and most objective anime reviewers I know (we're all subjective but god I'm sick of reading reviews that if the reviewer likes a series will ignore abslutely HUGE flaws and just say 'x character is super cute and I like her so 5/5' or 'the morals of this show offended me too much to actually look at the characters 1/5'), I wondered what you guys would say about it.

Offline stavie33

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »
oh yes I did think of a show for you guys to review that I didn't see in the database. Welcome to the NHK. Only 'relatively new' show I can think of that I'd be interested in a review for.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »
oh yes I did think of a show for you guys to review that I didn't see in the database. Welcome to the NHK. Only 'relatively new' show I can think of that I'd be interested in a review for.

I actually intend to review that show once I have the time to watch it. But it's not coming in anytime soon; perhaps next month or so since it's not on top of my review priority list.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12  All   Go Up