Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 18, 2017, 04:00:03 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kisarazu Cat's Eye  (Read 4441 times)

Offline mouse

Kisarazu Cat's Eye
« on: November 03, 2006, 10:58:22 PM »
I just started this show based on Dheu's recommendation for a comedy and I think she picked another winner!  The first episode was ridiculously funny.  All the different characters are so perfect--from the main cast to the extras.  I love all the facial expressions, the fresh dialogue, the sardonic jabs at personality "types," the tragedy that underlies the comedy, and the  comraderie between these friends that is actually quite touching.  Add to that a stylistic approach of (at times) non-linear editing, odd camera angles, zoomed in shots, fast actions, upbeat music and it all really comes together quite well to set the tone and heighten the level of humor.  I'm looking forward to watching this show and recommend others to at least check out the first episode if they haven't already.  :>

DramaWiki page

Quote from: DramaWiki Synopsis
Twenty-one year old former high school baseball player, Kohei (nickname: Bussan), learns that he is dying from cancer. He is told that he only has six months to live, and decides that he wants to do something daring and risky. He proposes to five trusted members from his former baseball club that they form a ring of cat burglars that would steal from those who commit crimes. His friends think it odd, but feel they cannot turn down a dying man's request. With only six months, how much could they do anyway?

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Re: Kisarazu Cat's Eye
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 10:13:57 PM »
\o/

Kisarazu Cat's Eye is a personal favorite of mine.  There are a bunch of quirky characters and off-the-wall comedic events, but as mouse said, underneath it all is the touching comradery between friends and the sobering knowledge that the good times won't last.

But don't think for a second that this series turns sad and depressing because of it.

It is a hilarious and bizarre little series that I'm really, really glad I found.  (Which reminds me, I need to get a review of it up.)

But until I can, check it out! (!!!!!)

Offline Phate

• Just one more thing...

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 10:27:09 PM »
Just finished watching the first episode.

I think that this is going to be a show that, if I complete it, it'll be over a long period of time. To be honest, I couldn't really get into the first episode until towards the end of it when it started getting more serious.

The main reason I couldn't really get into it: the humor just didn't jive with me, and I'm not sure why. The humor used is generally something that I find funny but, I dunno, it just couldn't connect with me. A lot of it just didn't seem to flow together very smoothly, I guess. Anyway, towards the end it got more touching, so I think that I'll watch the rest of this eventually, but it's near the end of my queue right now. :)

edit: holy crap spelling
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 08:37:42 PM by Phate »

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 10:29:24 PM »
Downloading.

Offline mouse

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 07:57:51 AM »
Ok I got a chance to watch the 2nd episode last night and all I gotta say is that teacher lady is CRAAAZY.  Not that I couldn't tell from the first episode, but it didn't really hit home because I figured that was a lover's quarrel/scorned woman thing that usually makes otherwise sane people act insane.  But no, she's just nuts...  and I love her for it.  >:3

Oh, and the "ugly" girl is awesome.  That bleach blonde hair, clown makeup, and attitude are just hilarious.  XD

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 03:13:13 PM »
The teacher is crazy.  It's fantastic.  The whole show is crazy.

KISARAZU...... CATS!  MEOW!  CATS!  MEOW!
Pages: [1]   Go Up