Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 11:12:02 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Impressions: the Calm before a Storm  (Read 3069 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Impressions: the Calm before a Storm
« on: October 20, 2006, 05:57:51 PM »
It looks like the next few months will be one of incredible changes, surprises, and revolutions. The release of PS3, along with many notable titles, will, without a doubt, impact the gaming industry just like the N64. It looks like games are finally taking a new turn, one where the focus is no longer pure blood and violence, there's more of a dynamic level to everything. Stories are becoming a greater focus, gameplay is evolving, and lots and lots is changing. Gone will most of the "sell-out, cash cow" titles be, and finally, a more true, diverse industry will unfold.

The release of Okami seemed like the sign of a new dawn. This game incorporates amazingly creative concepts, from its visuals to its gameplay, which can be the signal many of us have desired: to move forward, to bring games, metaphorically, from its two-dimensional platform to a three-dimensional state of existence. In addition, The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion is yet another gem, one that promises the long awaited "reality" that many games lacked. With realistic graphics and realistic gameplay, things are looking up. Final Fantasy XII will also be a huge turn for the Final Fantasy community and roleplaying altogether, where a more innovative system of play is used. It is surprising that a PS2 game can look that good, and the same could be said of Okami. But most note-worthy, though, is the new Playstation 3, coming in only a matter of weeks. The system will blow 360 out of the water, possibly, promising detail and visuals, and games, that will not be surpassed. Most notably is Metal Gear Solid 4, which looks to be the next "best game" and probably the best game in recent memory (Sorry Final Fantasy!), promising its usual dynamic storytelling and characters.

Let's be hopeful for the future, and things turn out for the better, where the market will see the release of higher quality titles, games that actually entertain, tell a story, and have a purpose besides looking real pretty.

Offline soundchazer

Re: Impressions: the Calm before a Storm
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 06:52:23 PM »
Hate to break it to you, but Elder Scrolls Oblivion has been out for quite a while now (great game BTW)

And actually, Final Fantasy XII and Metal Gear Solid 4 should be considered cash cows anyway since they piggy back on the success of their predecessors.

My DVD Collection
Currently viewing:
Honey & Clover 20/?? | Okusama wa mahou shoujo 9/??  |  Miracle Girls  10/51  |  Yakitate!! Japan 37/?? |Speed Grapher 16/??

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 07:06:55 PM »
I'm just being relative with the release dates. I know Oblivion has been out for a few months. Okami has been out for almost 6 weeks now.

I understand that the FF and MGS franchises are cash cows, but being that my statements are quite general, they cannot apply to every single game released (hence I played it safe with "most"). In addition, FF and MGS may be cash cows, but they have their own appeals and innovations, too, making them worth mentioning. The purpose of the thread was to note that games are changing for the better, and I'm quite sure that the new FF and MGS are excellent examples.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 04:43:12 PM »
Quote from: Tamashii
It looks like the next few months will be one of incredible changes, surprises, and revolutions. The release of Wii, along with many notable titles, will, without a doubt, impact the gaming industry just like the N64. It looks like games are finally taking a new turn, one where the focus is no longer pure blood and violence, there's more of a dynamic level to everything. Stories are becoming a greater focus, gameplay is evolving, and lots and lots is changing. Gone will most of the "sell-out, cash cow" titles be, and finally, a more true, diverse industry will unfold.

Fixed.   >:3

Seriously though.  You can't talk about how bad being a "sell-out, cash cow" is and then praise the $600 PS3

The 360 looks to be having some sweet ass games coming out soon as well.  Gears of War is coming in November and Splinter Cell Double Agent just came out as well.

The Wii looks to be the best of the systems because of its unique approach to gaming: innovative and fun.  Add the meager $300 price tag to that and you've got yourself a winner.

Graphics = Least important part of a game.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 11:14:52 AM »
My emphasis was not realism on graphics, but realism in gameplay. Any mention of graphics was meant to show how the graphics are changing along with the gameplay: how Okami had creative visuals AND gameplay, how Oblivion was realistic superficially AND mechanically.

The price of the PS3 is quite nasty, but less crying, in my opinion. The minimum wage is increasing every year, prices on everything is going up, a PS3 for $500 is almost equivalent to a PS2 for $300. Just think of it as buying a really advanced, really expensive computer. Not to mention the PS3 incorporates Blu-ray technology...how many Blu-ray players you got out there, and how much does it cost?

It's not about fiddling with the details, it's seeing the big picture: where are games going? Playstation is the biggest chunk of that future.

Exactly.

Offline soundchazer

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 01:54:59 PM »
I don't know if I can agree with your statement, Tamashii. In a world were electronic component costs are going down instead of up, and were you can get a laptop for 600 bucks or less, having consoles increase their prices seems a little couterintuitive.

Also... keep in mind that the increase you are talking about is 67%. I highly doubt that the compunded inflation rate over the period between 1996 and 2006 has been that high.

My DVD Collection
Currently viewing:
Honey & Clover 20/?? | Okusama wa mahou shoujo 9/??  |  Miracle Girls  10/51  |  Yakitate!! Japan 37/?? |Speed Grapher 16/??
Pages: [1]   Go Up