Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 13, 2017, 08:13:10 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warcraft Ruins Lives.  (Read 5969 times)

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: Warcraft Ruins Lives.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 04:21:49 PM »
[quote="Comment on Article]Man I wanna take the time to read all the comments and stuff here in this thread, but I've got a raid in 5 minutes. :([/quote]

That was a good read and I think the message can be applied to a lot of addictions. Warcrack is a drug, as it can be addictive and anything that is addictive is a drug. WoW-rehab would make people a lot of money.
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline mouse

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 05:19:32 PM »
So true, but WoW wasn't the first online game to have this effect on people and it won't be the last.  Sadly.

Since WoW was my second online rpg, I knew how these games can take over your life.  Especially when you're in a position of transition such as the author of that article was when he began playing.  Therefore when I started WoW, I made a decision to never cancel on friends, work, or other commitments to play the game--no matter what.  And I was able to stick to my guns because in the end, the game is fun but it is not a real life to have.  My character suffered though.  I didn't have 800,000,000+ in gold, 50 different epic items, or even all my bank bag slots filled (you had to purchase those puppies plus find epic-sized bags with more slots! :P), but I was able to play at my own pace and just enjoy the things I could do on my own or with a small group in a reasonable amount of time per day.  I quit WoW last year, but I would go back because I don't devote my life to it and it is a game I enjoy in my spare time.

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 01:43:00 PM »
I won't let myself play Blizzard games anymore because they're too good.  I haven't touched WoW, because I know it will take over my life worse than any other game they've put out has.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 10:54:16 AM »
A lot of people suffer from this, and a lot of people have taken drastic action (eBay'ed, deleted game, quit guild, etc). I can relate pretty well because I know many that have done so--the game can push you quite far, so you've got to pull back just as hard. However, having a good sense of control and restraint will help, as quitting the game entirely is not a great idea, especially when you've established many friends. It's like quitting this site completely, what's happened to restrict you so much that you cannot have a single minute to look at this forum? I'm taking a break from the game while I sort out of my college work/applications. Hopefully I can go full-throttle this weekend and get everything over with.

Offline moe

• teh DDR is teh tasteys!

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 10:54:08 AM »
i only fear what is to come if i ever decide to play this game i think i shall stick to my xbox and playin halo 2 with my real life friends. i know a few kids in school who keep telling me to play but now i fear it b/c of the things that can and prolly will come. ty for posting this article i think this helped me a lot on deciding whether to play WoW or not, i'm gonna print this and give it to some of th the kids in my school who play WoW like non stop.

Offline royal crown

• Sansui QH-44
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 07:59:41 PM »
I dunno if I buy into the whole "WoW ruins lives," so much as people ruin themselves. Not to take away from the validity of the article/thread of course, but I think it's more of a reflection on society than the game. The fact that people get addicted period is the principal problem. I remember I played WoW for a month on my brother's account - I stopped after that month because I realized playing for an hour a day or less doesn't make for a satisfying WoW experience.

So rather, I would recommend people play the game if they want, and just to be conscious not to get addicted to the game. I mean, that's probably easier said than done (I don't get addicted appreciably anything), but I don't think it's fair to put games on the same level as drugs. There's definitely a quantifiable amount of physical proof that can back up the addictiveness of drugs. I don't think it's fair to say the same about WoW. I think mouse has got the right idea (although I have to question how expensive that must be to only occasionally play it. That's one reason why I stopped).

People made a big deal about WoW when that couple left their kid t odie in the car when they played WoW at an internet cafe. I don't think it's Blizzard's fault: I think it's a case of irresponsible parents. That's the same belief for cases such as these. I'm not trying, of course, to degrade anyone for addiction problems concerning the game. I just think it's unfair to blame the game.

Offline Akira

• Warring with philistines.
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 09:06:52 PM »
"Vi sitter i Ventrilo och spelar DotA~~~"

And that's just DotA. WoW destroys people. My cousin's in college, he knows a guy that lives across the hall from him in the dorms...

He plays WoW so much that he keeps a chamber pot in his room.

...yup.
I don't have opinions. I have facts.

Offline Tyrdium

• DAAAAAAA!
    • http://www.tyrdium.com

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 11:19:05 PM »
Quote from: Akira
"Vi sitter i Ventrilo och spelar DotA~~~"
BassHunter <3 <3 <3.
[ LJ | ASIP | Home ]

Offline mouse

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 08:05:13 PM »
Quote from: royal crown
I think mouse has got the right idea (although I have to question how expensive that must be to only occasionally play it. That's one reason why I stopped).
I didn't mean to be misleading, I definitely played more than occasionally.  I got my money's worth.  But it is expensive at $16 a month so I won't be returning until I can afford the luxury.  No way am I going to the poorhouse for a game!
Pages: [1]   Go Up