Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 09:43:13 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Sleeping Forest (spoiler alert!!!!)  (Read 3980 times)

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

A Sleeping Forest (spoiler alert!!!!)
« on: October 16, 2006, 02:16:44 PM »
Hah!  I beat mouse to it.

This is one j-drama series that needs a discussion thread for it.  I mean, honestly.  What the heck was up with that ending?!!  It automatically took my rating and dropped it by one.  And while that doesn't sound too drastic since we don't have half-points, still!  One whole point!

That's hardly the only thing that needs to be discussed here.  The other major flaw I mentioned was that there were events that seemed to come up from nowhere and were there only to torture the main characters.  The prime example is Yuri and Keita's deaths.  What the hell?!  Since when did Naoki's friend turn into a murderer?!  It made no sense whatsoever, I'm telling you.

Gah.  I've never been so frustrated with a series before Sleeping Forest came along.

wryyy

Offline Phate

• Just one more thing...

Re: A Sleeping Forest (spoiler alert!!!!)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 04:02:07 PM »
I just finished getting the first episode in a rather frustrating fashion and I'll watch it later tonight if i have the time.

Your frustration at the ending (didn't read the spoiler) makes me weary of starting it now, though. :/

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 04:04:22 PM »
Oh, you must watch it, phate.  It's absolutely fantastic throughout most of it.  It's just a tiny bit frustrating towards the end.

Offline mouse

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 05:38:31 PM »
I'd even say it's a good frustration though.  Seriously, the show is quite excellent.  I knew some spoilers going in and knowing didn't ruin my enjoyment whatsoever.  Personally, I would have ranked it an 8, but I do also agree with all the points Dheu made in her review.  And really, if you think like a fruitcake, the ending was actually quite tragically endearing!   <___<     >___>

Spoilers coming!

Quote from: dheu's spoilers
The prime example is Yuri and Keita's deaths. What the hell?! Since when did Naoki's friend turn into a murderer?! It made no sense whatsoever, I'm telling you.
Quote from: my spoiler response to dheu
I was shocked... SHOCKED when Yuri died.  I mean, how dumb do you have to be?!  Who thinks it's a good idea to confront a potential murderer!  Which, by the way, was something else that bugged me throughout.  Naoki was all over the place with this.  He taunts the crazy fiance, the crazy convicted murderer, the crazy Keita... wtf Naoki!  He was asking for death!  And then he gets it in what has to be the worst poetic death ever!  >.<

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 05:44:24 PM »
Quote from: dheu
This is one j-drama series that needs a discussion thread for it.  I mean, honestly.  What the heck was up with that ending?!!  It automatically took my rating and dropped it by one.  And while that doesn't sound too drastic since we don't have half-points, still!  One whole point!
I've dropped a rating by one whole point simply due to a crappy ending several times in the past.  One whole point is a massive drop, considering our rating system (a point I want to stress), but it's justified a lot of time, IMO, since endings are so important to the story.

I don't have anything on topic to add, since I haven't seen the title in question, but I will say: mouse, that's a clever way to hide spoilers.  I've been wanting to add spoiler tags to our forums in the past, but I've never fully got around to it.  I'll do it as soon as I get the time.

Offline mouse

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 05:53:44 PM »
Quote from: Sorrow-kun
II don't have anything on topic to add, since I haven't seen the title in question, but I will say: mouse, that's a clever way to hide spoilers.  I've been wanting to add spoiler tags to our forums in the past, but I've never fully got around to it.  I'll do it as soon as I get the time.
Thanks.  I had to use that method a few times over at another board that also didn't have spoiler tags.  >:3
Pages: [1]   Go Up