Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 06:54:09 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battle Royale  (Read 5752 times)

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

Battle Royale
« on: October 10, 2006, 12:06:22 AM »
http://www.nihonreview.com/wordpress/live-action/battle-royale/

Have you seen it?  What did you think?  Do you agree with SK's review?  You know, all that stuff.

Personally, BR is one of my favorite movies.  Adapted from the cult hit novel of the same name by Koushun Takami, it is a wildly fun ride, that never stops.  I have to say that SK really hit the nail on the head with his review as well.  The two downsides were a lack of characterization for a good portion of the cast and it could use a more exciting ending.  I think the real problem was that the book was 600 pages long and the movie was only 2 hours.  The book definately did a better job managing the large cast and really had an incredible ending.  If you haven't read or seen either yet, I highly recomend both.  The manga kinda sucked though...

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Battle Royale
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 12:25:37 AM »
Everyone agrees with SK's reviews.  :p

I won't say a great deal, since I'd inevitably repeat myself, but I will say, provided you aren't adverse to big servings of violence, you should certainly watch it.  It's a great film.

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 04:35:28 AM »
Ahhh, Battle Royale...the movie based off my favorite book....

Good job SK! I agree with the review. Tis true that they did leave out a lot of characterization. Something that is apparent especially after reading the book, where Takami writes about pretty much every single character before they get killed. Yeah, the ending of the book was good (probably is better than the movie), but it was a slight twist, if someone's never seen/read the movie/novel. And it is definitely worth watching, although the blood might be a little much, but hey, the novel has a lot more blood in it (...>.<).

But I did like the movie, though book>all

And on a random side note: I tried to buy the movie in London but they would not sell it to me....
When in doubt, speak Italian and sing "Seven Nation Army"

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 08:08:02 PM »
I thought the movie was a solid 6. Maybe a 5. I don't think it has as much substance as it implicates, it's more like pretension. BUT, I loved the action scenes. I guess that was the Distracting Factor, and that kinda screwed up my bias. I loved the death scenes. Some of the best I've seen. That girl that got shot up so hard...and that guy that got his crotch...ouch...Yeah. It was a fun, violent movie.

I did read the manga, and it did a much better job creating meaning out of the bloody mess. However, I stopped half way. =(

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 04:27:03 PM »
Quote from: Tamashii
I thought the movie was a solid 6. Maybe a 5. I don't think it has as much substance as it implicates, it's more like pretension. BUT, I loved the action scenes. I guess that was the Distracting Factor, and that kinda screwed up my bias. I loved the death scenes. Some of the best I've seen. That girl that got shot up so hard...and that guy that got his crotch...ouch...Yeah. It was a fun, violent movie.

I did read the manga, and it did a much better job creating meaning out of the bloody mess. However, I stopped half way. =(

Takako's kill was one of, if not my favorite kill in the movie...but then she dies in Hiroki's arms... :c ...props to the casting people for casting pretty good looking people for the most part...*cough cough* Shuya (I went happy when I read that he was Light in the Death Note movies), Yoshitoki, Shinji, Hiroki *cough cough*...yeah, I have slight problems there....

Can't read the manga personally...I flipped through some of it and it was too graphic for me...which is ironic considering that I love the book...
When in doubt, speak Italian and sing "Seven Nation Army"

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 08:42:21 AM »
The Battle Royale movie gets a 3 or 4 IMO.  DK hit the nail on the head, there was no way they could do the story in two hours.  Half of the movie is nothing but little death scenes where they flash "Boy #12 Yamada Jiro" etc., show him getting shot, and then flash "Boy #12 killed."  How much less dramatic can you get?  Don't get me started on Kazuo's big nappy 'fro.  Battle Royale is characterization.  Without it all you have is a cheap slaughterfest.  To be fair, I watched the movie about four years ago and it was a very low quality download so that might be skewing my opinion, but I can't imagine giving it an "8" if I watched it today.

The manga starts off great and manages to combine the visceral deaths of the movie with even more characterization (written by Takami) than the book.  The last 5 or 6 volumes drag out the story, turning as few as ten pages into 200.  It drags out simple scenes and overdoes the drama to the extent of which I've never seen (about 100 pages of Shuuya pointing a gun at Kazuo thinking about how many people Kazuo killed).  It's still a better product than the movie.

My advice is to read the book.

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 10:38:51 PM »
I actually thought the movie was really pretty good considering the limitations. I've read the book multiple times and absolutely love it, but I still think the movie was good.

The characterization, of course, was skimpy, but that's obvious when you think of that whole book shoved into a 2-hour movie.

To be honest, the biggest problem I had with it was that I kind of felt like they turned it into the Takeshi Kitano show, with an extremely increased role for the teacher. I've got no problem with Kitano, I think he's a good actor, but honestly. I'm not sure exactly what the teacher was supposed to represent in the movie, or what they intended for his role to do, but it was just a bit strange to include in him there in the form of dreams and flashbacks and an expanded death scene when he was only rarely in the book.

That time could have been better spent, in my opinion.

Also, the introduction of two wild-card students was a bit weird as well, instead of just keeping everyone as students of the same class.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 10:59:52 PM »
But what the film lacked in characterization it more than made up for in atmosphere.  That was the film's strength, and absorbing atmosphere is something that can only be established with good acting, directing, music, cinematography and special effects, and BR had all of those, IMO.  Yes, the story probably falls short, particularly when compared with the source material (which I haven't actually read), but as a film and as an action roller coaster, I think it was great.

Offline Phate

• Just one more thing...

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 11:17:32 PM »
The film was okay, a bit above medicore in my humble opinion. The atmosphere of the film WAS good, and while it wasn't particularly scary I think it did a good job with what it had. I was at least pulled into it somewhat and wanted to watch it to the end. The thing that killed it for me was (not surprisingly) the fact that there was very little meaningful character development. Some were pretty cool, such as the guy who had been part of the last tournament and was on the good side (I forget his name...). I thought the bit with the teacher and the main girl was kind of dumb.

Still, it was far better than the manga, which I think is utter crap that just delighted in stretching itself out as long as possible, and none of the characters even looked like they were in junior high. I never read the book.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 11:38:21 PM »
Atmosphere of Battle Royale was more like 'OWWWW, that's got to hurt' rather than 'o shit, these students gone desperate is scary and disturbing', so it was more of a cheap action thriller movie than an intense psychological thriller.
Pages: [1]   Go Up