Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 20, 2017, 04:06:10 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What Games have you recently Completed?  (Read 13998 times)

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: What Games have you recently Completed?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2013, 12:47:29 AM »
Finished Dark Souls.  It is Castelvania: Symphony of the Night of this generation.  Solid atmosphere and level designs combined with one of the best battle systems I've ever seen.

Hurrah! Another veteran!
I dont think Castlevania(Even Symphony) compares much with Souls, even in terms of atmosphere(I will never go to the depths again. Ever). In terms of the mythos, Castlevania borrowed, and borrowed heavily from western gothic archetypes, to the point where it all just felt boring and stale most of the time. Dark Souls, however, has a lot of originality in it, and consistently feels alien enough to be unsettling and just plain terrifying.
Oh, and the stunts at the end of Royal Wood and the Kiln of the First flame are the most inspired acts of narrative sadism I have ever been put through.

Offline Funky Dealer

• Take the don'ts
    • Funky_Dealer's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2013, 09:18:46 PM »
I've recently finished my first playthrough of Shin Megami Tensei IV, and I'm wrapping things up by hunting for the Fiends that have rather ridiculous spawn rates. I've beaten two of them so far, leaving me with five. And after I'm done with that, I'll drive myself crazy and attempt to fill out my Compendium.

To Shadowmage and Pebble: have either of you played Demon's Souls? I started off with Dark Souls myself, but I'd say that Demon's Souls has a stronger atmosphere of despair in it. There are a couple of differences in the game mechanics that also add to that feeling (having no Estus really changes things), so it's really worth a try if you like Dark Souls.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 07:44:31 AM »
Done with my second playthrough of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.

When I first finished this thing, I leaned back and thought to myself "This may very well be the best fantasy game I've played". At the very least, I'm sure I enjoyed it far more than Skyrim.

So... its very, very nonlinear, to the point where the story and even more importantly, your character is practically unrecogniseable if you choose different story paths. Yet it still manages to make sense in all the paths I've played through. The production values are immense and nigh-perfectly directed, the writing is morose, delightfully amoral and cynical, and is generally much better than the stuff you find in most games, and the gameplay fits in with the story perfectly. You know that stupid plot twist in which the MC causes an AI to self-destruct by presenting it with a paradox? TW2 actually makes sense when it does that, and it refreshing how thought out and mature the writing is. In fact, this game does this a lot: it takes a cliched and overdone trope, puts it through the grinder, shaves away the rubbish, and turns out something that is both familiar and new at the same time.
Oh and the ending is a brilliant, insanely anticlimactic f*** you to the audience that makes so much logical sense it's ridiculous. Imagine if a Guilty Crown twist made perfect sense. Yeah.  This had around 4.

There's boobs too, but they're terrible, just like in the last Witcher game.

@F_D
I haven't played Demons Souls, and given how difficult it was for me to find a copy of dark souls in this country, odds are I wouldn't be able to. That, and the PS3 I'm using is borrowed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:50:13 AM by Pebble »

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 08:18:09 PM »
To Shadowmage and Pebble: have either of you played Demon's Souls?

Sadly, I don't have PS3.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Funky Dealer

• Take the don'ts
    • Funky_Dealer's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2013, 07:49:34 PM »
Quote from: Pebble
I haven't played Demons Souls, and given how difficult it was for me to find a copy of dark souls in this country, odds are I wouldn't be able to. That, and the PS3 I'm using is borrowed.

Damn, that's a shame. If you really won't get a chance to try it out anytime soon, I might just recommend looking up videos. It'll take away the experience of it all, but it would be a shame to miss out entirely.

Quote from: Shadowmage
Sadly, I don't have PS3.

That was my other concern. You have more options for Dark Souls than Demon's Souls.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 11:36:26 AM »
Battlefield 4.

The singleplayer is remarkable only because it has a chinese woman in it as a major character. And... that's just about it. The rest is utter crap.

The multiplayer is more battlefield. Nothing to see here at all except more polish and excessive lens flare.
That's not entirely a good thing; the earlier multiplayer mechanics were wooden and often dumb, but there's a charm in mastering the clunky, wooden stick that isn't here anymore. The most fun you can have now is seeing how many enemies you can pick off with just C4 and exploiting the lighting, which is a shit-ton of fun, but it was way more fun in Crysis, because there I could pull off some genuinely crazy shit, whereas here, it's all boring.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 05:35:07 AM »
Mass Effect 3

That was so unbelievably epic.

The endings were okay; I don't see why everyone was so upset back then. Some of the endings are more contrived than others, and the game itself has its weaker moments, but holy shit was that finale epic.

The DLC-added missions are a mixed bag; Leviathan is great, Omega is awful, and my God was that entire Clone mission-set stupidly unnecessary.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
Did you play with the extended edition DLC?
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 09:55:54 AM »
Did you play with the extended edition DLC?

Yeah.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 10:10:59 AM »
I can say the original endings weren't as memetically godawful as the internet made them out to be, but they were absolutely a letdown, barren in terms of detail, extremely limited in differentiation, seemed to go against the lore in several ways, and above all it was exactly the type of ending Bioware promised in a statement that they wouldn't do. Really the petitions to change the ending were justified, as far as I'm concerned. The extended edition more or less fixes all of that, so I guess mission complete. 
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 11:53:13 AM »
I haven't finished it, but I'm a bit deep into The Last of Us. Pretty much Resident Evil with much better immersion and less extreme weapons.

Offline thesprinkle42

• Classy Elemental
  • Mech and Mecha are two different things.
    • Steam Community :: Bluchurch
    • TheSprinkle Reviews

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2014, 07:27:42 AM »
Just unlocked and beat BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger's True Ending. Pretty good game, to be sure.

Offline Wervelf

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 11:39:40 PM »
Just completed assassin's creed black flag

Offline Pebble

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2014, 11:51:35 PM »
Dark Souls II is very much the easier game. The dungeons aren't as harrowing, you can reverse hollowing on the fly, the bonfires aren't as spaced out, the bosses are slower and simpler, and though they generally do take more hits to beat than most Souls 1 bosses, there isn't much here that compares to Manus, Artorias, Kalameet, or Ornstein & Smough. Death count is about 180, time taken was 25 hours.

I suppose FROMsoft wanted to make the game more accessible, which is okay. Still, there are a few questionable changes they've made; combat can't be the furious dance it could be in Souls 1, and is a bit dull, especially with how much DEX builds have been nerfed and how retreating attacks have been removed. Phantom AI is terrible. Parrying is also too risky in this game because of the involved delay, and because a few shields are easily found and ridiculously stable. The huge collection of spells, and the overall upgrades to the control scheme are very welcome, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up