Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 03:39:28 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime Clubs  (Read 13462 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Re: Anime Clubs
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2006, 07:48:34 AM »
Nice. Good luck! And remember that if things go awry, do not be discouraged. Keep pushing along.

By the way,wtf is an infocus machine? I hope you're using a projector for this and not a crappy TV. And if it's a projector, you do know that you can hook up a laptop, and play AVI files?

Offline Sara

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 05:30:00 PM »
http://i.askask.com/2004/07/infocus_4805.jpg

It's a projector.  

I bet you ca. get away with brining a disc to school and showing it through that.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2006, 05:34:28 PM »
Quote from: Tamashii
Nice. Good luck! And remember that if things go awry, do not be discouraged. Keep pushing along.

By the way,wtf is an infocus machine? I hope you're using a projector for this and not a crappy TV. And if it's a projector, you do know that you can hook up a laptop, and play AVI files?

What is this black magic you speak of?!  wryyy

Kidding, kidding, I'm pretty computer savy. I know what I am doing when it comes to stuff like this.

The first meeting was good. Not as great a turn out as I would have hoped for. A lot of issues with grades mostlikely (the club meets during a tutoring period on Mondays from 1:45 til 3:05, if you have good enough grades [above C's in all class] you can leave or go to a club).

The turn out was 11, which was alright for a first meeting. We watched Azumanga Daioh and Overman King Gainer in full, and half of Gundam 0083. I didn't have as much time as I hoped for because we didn't get started till about 2.

Next week I'm showing Princess Princess and Haruhi. I got the best reaction from Azumanga, so I think I will show at least one comedy each week.

EDIT//

Yeah, I used an InFocus machine with Laptop/DVD player.
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline Sara

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006, 05:56:57 PM »
So good to hear it went well.

How did those question-papers go?

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006, 08:47:42 PM »
As I had expected. A lot of the people there were new to newish in the realm of anime. The survey I filled out and my VPs survey were the most diverse and well filled out. I still have a bunch left over, so I will give them to new members as they join.

Offline Sara

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 04:10:06 AM »
Just out of curiosity (and possibly to help you out with what type of things to discuss of show) what would say were the "averages" of the surveys?

What was the typically most watched genre?
How many anime had been previously viewed by your members?
Have any of them heard of any studios? If so what were commonly known of studios?
Number of people that knew what cosplaying was or has done it?
Any Japanese experience?
How many have been to an anime convention?

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 06:21:18 PM »
The overall impression I got from the surveys was that everyone with the exception of myself, my VP and another girl, no one in the room had anime experience greater than the mainstream American market.

For that reason, I'm showing Princess Princess and Haruhi next Monday. ^_^

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2006, 05:01:17 PM »
11 sounds like a good number to start. But realize that there are many more anime fans than that. Spread the word. Have the club be very welcoming AND fun, and encourage your members to seek out for more members. "Don't be shy to bring your friends for a good time." etc etc. Keep pushing for the club and eventually, you will pull an easy 20-25 people every meeting.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2006, 05:15:18 PM »
Had our third meeting today, and I showed Death Note. The reaction I got to it was amazing. Everyone really enjoyed it and they want to see more.

I'm finding out slowly what it is like to run a club. No one tells me when a decision they make will effect the club (the 2nd meeting nearly happened in a room smaller than my room at home, which can by no means hold 11 people let alone the 15 we got that day, luckly I don't do much during lunch and got it all fixed), tracking down the InFocus machine has become common place and I must please my audience. It has been really eye opening.

I'm also finding out what it is like to deal with people I don't like. There is/are one to three people who I'd love to kick out (because of their random outbursts and less than appropriate requests) but I lack the numbers to be willing to do it. I've had my VP deal with it, so it isn't that bad anymore (never watching Princess Princess again...).

Now, if I wanted to have like an after-school "event" and I wanted to make some money to start a club library or club party (for the members who come to regular meetings), what could I charge for that wouldn't be charging for watching the anime? I was thinking like paying for seating or something, but I don't know how legal that is.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2006, 05:34:25 PM »
Quote from: Kurier
I've had my VP deal with it, so it isn't that bad anymore (never watching Princess Princess again...).
Princess Princess is a pile of crap, though.  Expect review when I'm not so lazy.  Also, there's not so much you can do about unwanted behaviour.  It's all part of running a club... some people are just going to be jackasses.

Btw, Haruhi is a good choice to push mainstream American audiences into not-so-mainstream anime, but expect a lot of people with less experience in anime to simply not "get" it.  I think it's one of those anime that does require a pretty good understanding of the general archtypes of anime... seeing as how it spends a lot of time smashing them.  But, hey, I'll support anyone trying to spread God's good word.

Anyway, as far as trying to raise some funds is concerned, an event isn't a bad idea, but as soon as you start showing anime, it's legality becomes questionable.  How about a raffle?  Buy a box set and raffle it off.  Word of advice:  buy a cheap box set, else you run the big risk of not being able to profit from it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 07:28:58 PM by Sorrow-kun »

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2006, 06:39:58 PM »
Hmm... you speak with the words of a thousand Angels. Princess Princess is crap. I showed it at the request of my VP, then the club members forced me to watch the ED; I nearly cried in horror.

Cheap boxset ay? Is it legal to raffle off something I own?

What do you all think about having like a "Gaming day" in an anime club? Of course it would be Japanese games and video games from Japan, but do you think it fits the perameters?

Did I mention my VP veto'ed Haruhi when I tried to show it? I was angry. However, I think they liked what I showed in its place a lot more than anything else I had shown so far (Kino no Tabi)

Offline mouse

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2006, 12:09:39 PM »
Quote from: Kurier
Cheap boxset ay? Is it legal to raffle off something I own?
Raffles are usually items that have either been donated, created (crafts/art), or purchased.  As long as you don't keep the money for your own pocket, but put it toward the club, there should be no problem.  Until your club treasury has more funds, you or any volunteers will have to financially shoulder these kinds of things.

Get a cheap Anime Legends/Thinpak/Signature series boxset off deepdiscountdvd.com or other website when they have a sale.  You really don't want to spend alot for your raffles so it might even be better to buy single dvds and raffle off 4-5 at once.  Again, do some major bargain/comparative shopping online and off for whatever you end up raffling off.  

Or get the permission/permits and whatnot to do car washes, bake sales, selling lemonade... something along those lines.  =}

Whatever you do though, you should first propose these events to your club members to make sure they're even interested in attending.  Or take votes from a choice of three.  Because if all else fails, members may just be willing to donate the cash toward putting it together.  And you're not charging them to watch anime unless that's the ONLY thing planned...  The money should be going toward space rental, food, decorations, etc.  

About a club library though, I'm thinking Genshiken here where they had their own permanent room.  Do you have that?  A public space set aside specifically for your club 24/7?  With storage?  A space where only you and perhaps your VP have a key to lock things up when either of you are not there to monitor?  To fund something like that you'll have to rely on member donations (of either money or anime) and a sophisticated treasury system where money is specifically set aside to purchase the club's collection.  I hardly think it's worth it for a high school anime club though.  Members are transient, not to mention hormonal, teenagers that have no concept of property and won't think twice about minor theft.  Well, some of them anyway.  ^_~

What do you all think about having like a "Gaming day" in an anime club? Of course it would be Japanese games and video games from Japan, but do you think it fits the perameters?
I think it's a good idea.  You could even do games that have become anime or vice versa.  The club doesn't need to center around anime 24/7 in all events.  Especially since people that are interested in anime are usually interested in gaming as well.  Again, present these ideas to your club members.  If it's something they want to do, that's all that matters.  

Hope some of this helps.  I don't claim any real experience with running clubs and such since it's not really my interest, but these are issues I've seen other organizations encounter.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2006, 02:25:47 PM »
Quote from: mouse
Get a cheap Anime Legends/Thinpak/Signature series boxset off deepdiscountdvd.com or other website when they have a sale.  You really don't want to spend alot for your raffles so it might even be better to buy single dvds and raffle off 4-5 at once.  Again, do some major bargain/comparative shopping online and off for whatever you end up raffling off.
If you're gonna raffle off single DVDs, make sure they're movies or one-offs or something.  Pointless to give away single DVDs from a series, IMO.

Offline Sara

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2006, 06:26:45 PM »
The raffle thing is a good idea but that digs into personal funds...

What I ended up doing was having booths at school events and such. We collaberated with the Fine Arts departments and did some face-painting, DVD showing (this is accomplished with a small DVD player at a booth), random members wore cosplay, and we generally talked to the parents and teachers and whomever about anime and what it's about.

As for students pitching in... well, you can always imply that the club needs funding. You don't have to give them anything.

You mentioned the funding being for after-school events such as parties and whatnot. let me assure you that anime-club parties are the cheapest parties you will ever have to throw. Don't worry about that. What I think you should invest some time in is getting some manga magazines or club-owned equipment for the other things that are done in an anime club. (Although I'm not sure what exactly you do... fill me in and I'll be a bit more specific.)

If you are willing to draw from your own pockets, I suggest going into a used book store and picking up old or untranslated manga. If you'd like to (and if they're in good condition) these would be good things to raffle off because they can't easily be bought for cheaper at the nearest Target. If you plan on sticking to the box-set thing then I suggest getting some of that manga anyway for future discussions over whatever the situation may bring. it's just good to have.

(I seriously wish I could just hand you all of my old club stuff that I was able to to keep. Your club could benefit from it so much...)

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2006, 07:15:44 PM »
Last Meeting; Amazing!

Including myself and my vice-president; 21 people were in attendants to watch FMA (ep. 3 Mother, I showed this to help all those who watch FMA on adult swim and have no clue what is going on) and Death Note ep. 3 (they are ADDICTED to the Death Note anime, so I am showing it every week or so).

Next Meeting, Nov. 6th, I'm going to show Evangelion >__> I'm being selfish and showing it because my birthday is the 8th. They should enjoy the break from reading subtitles though.

Currently, I am only running the club in my school. My school is part of 4 schools that share one campas (this is what is known as a small school, kinda like communism right now, perfect in theory but I don't know how it will pan out... but I digress). I am thinking about expanding the club into the other 3 schools next semester.

Thoughts?

Edit// (Just read Sara's post above this)

Brilliant Ideas! When I return to Japan this summer, I am going to raid some Book Off and bring back a few full collections of manga DIRT CHEAP. I plan on running the club next year so this is future talk.

As for what we do;

I only have 1hr for club meetings (something I might change, once I know what I will be doing with the expansion of the club). All the meetings so far have consisted of watching two seperate episodes. That is all we can do in the short ammount of time, but sometimes we have about 15 minutes for discussions.

I'm going to start introducing members to manga, if they don't already read it that is. I can see doing a manga discussion every other week and only showing 1 episode on those days.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 07:33:14 PM by Kurier »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up