Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 13, 2017, 12:24:55 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime Clubs  (Read 13493 times)

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Re: Anime Clubs
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 07:49:49 AM »
Quote from: Seven
Seven said something stupid - Kurier

*snicker snicker*

Mod corruption!

Apparently we need to have a Post Your Feelings thread here too! Don't make me do it!! I will if I have to!!  

:V
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 10:26:49 AM by Kurier »

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 10:27:35 AM »
I'll corrupt you in a minute...

I need a list of anime with first episodes that are school appropriate. /r/ is fail, so y'all have to do.
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 07:40:18 PM »
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
FLCL (trust me, NO ADULT gets it the first time...all those sexual innuendos...)
Naruto
One Piece
AzuDai
ROD
most of the recent stuff, I guess...just no fanservice!
and w/e action anime you can think of. Action anime never goes wrong!

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 09:00:14 PM »
I got approved by the way, so now I just need to decide on a date for the first meeting and let everyone know...

That list looks good; too bad I only own AzuDai and ROD. I really need to find out how many people can stand subs; because I have stuff like Fate/Stay Night and Gankutsuou that would be awesome.

Offline Sara

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 04:01:11 PM »
Erm... be careful with that. Since you're a sub person I would let everyone know what titles you will have available to watch this year. that way it's not so suprising and they have a chance to find out a little about what it is.

Some things my Mashiranu Anime Club watched:
(Only the first episodes were shown)

-Naruto
-Bleach
-Sailor Moon
-Dragonball (along with the closing episode of GT)
-Lupin the 3rd (chosen episode out of sync to avoid violation of my school rules)
-Magic Knight Rayearth
-Fruits Basket
-Full Moon wo Sagashite
-Tenchi Muyo (Same as Lupin, I ended up showing either episode 7 or 8 of the OVA)
-Azumanga Daioh
-Trigun
-Cowboy Bebop (I had to selectively play this on a day when my sponser was away. be careful because even though it doesn't have fanservice it has realistic violence that pisses some schools off :-/)
-One Piece
-Oh! My Godess
-Otaku No Video (This was hilarious BTW; Not the movie really but what peoples reactions were to it)
-Rurouni Kenshin
-Dr. Slump (I showed the new and the old one. Be selective with episodes)
-Ranma 1/2 (I showed episode 4 or 5... be selective)'
-Rumic World (Same as Ranma)
-Pandaz
-Samurai Champloo
-He Is My Master (Technically I only showed about 5 minutes of this... simply to introduce them to "foreign" anime)
-Fushigi Yuugi
-Pretear
-Orphen
-Ashita No Joe
-Hajime No Ippo

So yeah... as said, just be careful with some of those and use your common sense before showing a group of 15-18 yeard olds something like Naruto or he Is My Master.

Always watch any anime you plan on showing FULLY BEFOREHAND. Write down certain cultural references you may need to help newer fans with. You don't have to if you don't want to but it's also a good idea to watch the dub of the said anime to to make sure it's language is appropriate.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 05:32:55 PM »
Now that is what I was looking for.

My supervisor is a film-buff, so I believe I can get away with more that if I had a 'regular' supervisor.

Updates - I'm in the works of securing a room for the club to use for its meetings; probably have the first meeting next monday (I have my fingers crossed).

You got away with showing Otaku no Video?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 05:42:06 PM by Kurier »

Offline Dtortot

• Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.mangareviewer.com

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 06:14:51 PM »
Show Berserk. The first episode is totally OK for school <_<

Offline Sara

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 07:10:56 PM »
It's unbelievably easy to get away with some stuff if you show it in japanese. that way there is no "Unsuitable Language" problem because people passing by can't understadn it :D

I used a library room last year. I suggest using a room with a white board /chalk board thats a decent size so you can easily show anything you may want to discuss. It's also good if you are going over Japanese words so the members will have abetter understanding of the way the language is spelt and how the words sound.

With the videos:

I had plenty of new people so we occasionally would pause the movie and discuss what was happening (I usually did this if a common question was being asked. Or if we had been talking about art representing feeling) That sin't something I wholely suggest doing unless you think it's necessary. get to know your members first before you decide on anyhting like that. You wouldn't want to rip them of their anime wathcing experience. D:

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 07:31:55 PM »
Don't show FLCL the first week.  In fact you might be better off not showing it at all.  90+ percent of all people I know who have seen it were completely turned off to it because they didn't immediately "get it" or it was too bizzare.  If you want people to come back don't alienate them.

Why wouldn't he be able to show Otaku no Video?  It's PG-13 except for the hentai otaku part, but it's not like that section was designed to arouse, it is a documentary.  It is designed to inform (in a tongue in cheeck kind of way).  I would show it towards the end of the year so people don't get any bad ideas about anime fans right from the start.

Offline Sara

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 01:16:34 PM »
I think Otaku No Video is a must see in this case. No one will understadn it simply because it was released so long ago and it didn't exactly age well but it's a classic in my opinion, and a very good way to inform people.

SHowing it at the end of the year probably is a good idea like Kuma said. I don't think people would get the wrong idea about anime fans simply because Otaku No Video isn't only about anime otaku. It's all up to you.

(Do you even have Otaku No Video?)

Offline Dtortot

• Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.mangareviewer.com

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2006, 02:38:50 PM »
Show them Speed Grapher... Bondage Orgies!

In all seriousness now... I am stranged how no one suggested Excel Saga, it has plenty of things that everyone could relate to plus it is mindless fun. And I wouldn't stay after school to watch NTHT, even when it is a great anime, it is too thick and hard to swallow just like Evangelion or Gilgamesh.

Try showing that, Excel Saga, it also has a great advantage
since the plot is paper-thin you can pick the episodes that are really worthwile.

You can also show Hajime no Ippo, like, some of the eps, not all of it, although if they like it they might ask for all of it, and good luck with that.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 03:42:58 PM »
Quote from: Sara
I think Otaku No Video is a must see in this case. No one will understadn it simply because it was released so long ago and it didn't exactly age well but it's a classic in my opinion, and a very good way to inform people.

SHowing it at the end of the year probably is a good idea like Kuma said. I don't think people would get the wrong idea about anime fans simply because Otaku No Video isn't only about anime otaku. It's all up to you.

(Do you even have Otaku No Video?)

As a Gainax-fanboy, it would be a sin against nature to not own Otaku no Video. I think I will show it towards the end of the year.

Meeting is next monday, I secured the choir room and now I need to register for an InFocus machine.

Offline Sara

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2006, 08:25:35 PM »
Ah, I just remembered. You should definatly show Tokyo Godfathers. I did during last years Christmas and got many appreciatory remarks from my members. A must see thing.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2006, 08:55:09 PM »
I finally have a true use for my NetFlix's account.

Got the InFocus machine, and now it is all a waiting game. Hopefully the turn out is good on Monday.

Offline Sara

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2006, 03:48:16 AM »
Good luck today. I seriosuly hope everything goes well for you :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up