Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 07:51:28 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime Clubs  (Read 13460 times)

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

Anime Clubs
« on: September 20, 2006, 05:17:02 PM »
The reason for my current spout of inactivity was caused by a personal mission of mine. Over the past two weeks, I have worked with the necessary channels in my school to set up a club for fans of anime. And earlier today, I gained approval to run the club.

*stares off into the sun, gazing at a long awaited goal accomplished*

So, now, I need ideas on what to do during the club. I'm the President (as so decided at the first meeting, which was myself and the now Vice-president standing next to each other and nominated eachother for the chairs).

Here is what I have so far;

First (or 1st and 2nd or more) episode screenings
Discussions (current anime topic related or fan stuff, etc.)
Anime-related games? (Dry Erase board iSketch?; Guess that tune)

The first meeting is Monday, and I am going to screen Azumanga Daioh and Overman King Gainer. Introductions will follow, and maybe a game or two.

Please, give me tips.

Also, I am trying to not let this steal me away from NR, < excuse >peru-peru-peru< / excuse >

>:3  >:3
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

Re: Anime Clubs
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 11:15:32 PM »
Show Bebop for the first movie, and then direct them to our reviews database for suggestions on week 2.

Win for us, win for you.

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting
    • http://www.empireofthephoenix.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 02:23:20 AM »
Mmm, anime clubs. I'm in one in university and here's one bit of advice. Its best not to allocate several whole meetings to running entire series. The reason i say this, is because everyone has different tastes, and if they know the next few weeks/months you'll only be showing X anime which they hate, they won't show up.

It happened here when my club decided to show the entire 1st GIG stand alone complex. About 1/3 of our group didn't turn up for quite a while

Hope that makes sense...

Thanks to DarkKanti for the Sig!

Offline Sara

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 07:12:00 AM »
Uh oh. You be careful.

I ran an anime club for three years so don't expect the same level of discussion (or intelligence) as you find online. For one, alot of newer members will join.

Experenced fans generally don't join and if they do they will hold high expectations.

I was also a president, so heres some things we did.

-Q&A: Typical I guess, but it's better than having stupid questions asked while your talking about an anime.
-Viewings: I only showed the first episodes. Half to get them interested and half to get them to come back. I would sometimes show the second a few months later)
-Baisc Japanese Lessons: We went over the basics of Hiragana and Katakana. Along with learning about commonly used terms in anime and manga. Nothing to serious.
-Contests: Rarely though. It ranged from drawing contests to banner contests. Occasionally computer graphics and sometimes research (This was hard to getm off the ground though)

I never tried games, simply because I had so many new people. I;m not trying to be a bitch when i say this but DO NOT get your expectations to high or you'll be disappointed with it. But I wish you luck with your club.

(A fun thing to do at the beginning is to make some sort of mascot. I did this my last year and all of my members really got into it. Just ask for some ideas and find out who can draw. This way you can advertise better and if the art is good you may get some more expericed members.)

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 04:12:12 PM »
I am assuming you ran your club in a middle school? (I don't mean to sound rude, just that your age is 15 and 15 - 3 = 12, and most 12 year olds are in middle schoo, although I'm not one to talkl).

Thank you for your suggestions, it is good to hear from someone with experience. I know I am going to need a lot of help. Good thing my VP is a people person.

I put up flyers today and some people stopped me to ask about the club. I hope people show up in numbers good enough to keep the club running. I figure high school will have a lot more anime fans than middle school, and I've noticed a lot more so I am hopeful.

I also secured to awesome InFocus w/ audio set up mobile lab thingy, which should be perfect for viewing anime.

Question: Do I steer away from subs? I personally can't stand some dubs, but my VP pointed out that subtitles might turn people off.

Keep the suggestions coming!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 04:14:37 PM by Kurier »

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 04:51:43 PM »
The first thing to keep in mind is that a club is meant to stray away from the standards and atmosphere of a classroom, therefore a club must adhere to different standards of comfortability. You can't make this a "learning" environment (well, I don't know what kind of school you go to, but few people are willing to really "discuss" things--not every anime fan is as smart as you are...most of them are NarutoKids). You've got to keep the expectations low and run it so that ANYONE can enjoy it. I'm pretty sure that there will be a handful of kids that come, with their friends, to just chill, relax, and watch some anime the whole time. It's not until you build a very strong, dedicated following, that you can show the 'sacred' shows like Evangelion, Now and Then, Here and There, and the likes. And in order to do that, you must start humble: Naruto, and all those inconsequential, but ultimately entertaining anime.

I would advise against using dubs, but as a "starter," I suggest using dubs so that few are alienated. And then the very next day you can alternate to subtitles, and see how your audience reacts. This also applies to most shows: show the first few episodes, maybe two, and see how your audience likes it. Remember that a club of this nature is based on the audience because if they do not like what you are showing, the whole thing can blow up in your face. It's not until you and the audience build a relationship of trust that you can start creeping on forbidden territory. After time, they will realize that "Hey, this guy shows GOOD stuff," and no matter what you throw at them, they will believe that it is "good."

To recap: Start simple, and build upon it. I'm sure that if you work your audience after a few weeks, they'll start liking you, and they won't mind the new ideas proposed, if any. Most will just come to watch anime. That's all. So my recommendation is to start with just that, watching anime, before you go anywhere else. Of course you're going to have to have a three-minute questionnaire to get people's opinions before they head off to their buses!

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 06:02:18 PM »
Tama, a great help as always.

I'm going to show the first episode(s) of Azumanga Daioh and Overman King Gainer. I figured a comedy and mecha/action would make for a good mix, but I might try showing a third series; suggestions?

I have a lot of anime (legal or not), but not a lot of it is "rookie-level".

I have a questionaire ready for everyone that shows up;

1) Basics
a)Name
b)Grade
c)School (our "school" is actually 4 small schools)

2)Have you before today watched any Japanese animation? If yes, please answer the following. If no, please stick around to see what you have been missing...

3)Favorite Japanese animation...
a)...series
b)...movie
c)...character
d)...studio

4)Other questions
a)Do you read Japanese manga?
b)Do you know what "cosplaying" is? If yes, have you ever cosplayed?
c)Have you ever been to a Japanese anime convention?
d)Have you ever been to Japan?
e)Have you or are you currently taking any Japanese language classes?

Thoughts?

Offline Sara

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 07:24:29 PM »
I ran it from 6th to 9th grade but I also co-ran (is that a word) a high-school club as well. Age truly doesn't play much of a role as far as "Anime-Maturity" goes so be careful.

As for the sub/dub thing. I usually went with subs but I always asked the group first what they thought about it. An interesting thing to do is to show everyone how to compare subs and dubs by swtiching the audio for 10 second screens. I would only do this with an anime after it had been viewed once by the group and then it would have to be a common anime (As mentioned, naruto would be a good example)

I think the question thing is a good idea. I did something similar to that also during my 3 year run. If you haven't printed that form yet you might want to add a question asking what types of anime-related hobbies they may have (AMV's, Fanart, Reviewing, Websites). And, if you think nessacary, if they've had any previous experience with an anime club before. This way if you need any officers for something it will be easier to decide on who is best suited for the job and narrow down the time it takes to get the appropriate help.

Again, good luck with endevours. If you need any help with anything or just personal experience please IM me. I'd love to help you Kurier.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 09:19:12 PM »
I did the whole club thing back in high school for a while.  It never really worked out too well because the teacher I got to moderate us was really flakey.  Although I was the "president" it was basically a free rule type club.  We voted on what we would watch each week and sometimes we just winged it (or is that wung it?).  Eventually it just broke down and we just started hanging out in a different class everyday playing video games and watching anime whenever we felt like.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 07:10:05 AM »
I think Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo has ridiculously large range of audience to appeal to. They're nicely paced, never too slow to keep us bored, and never too fast to keep make us confused. Full of action, fay-service, interesting world of space cowboys, smooth and funky music, nice animation. Not too complex but has that charming maturity and very fine subtelty that is so rare in anime. Naruto can sometimes repel some people because of its sheer stupidity. Maybe Melancholy of Haruhi can work as well.

I personally don't believe you can fully experience animes like NTHT in such an environment, you need to really get absorbed into the world and connect with the characters, and that's really hard to do if you're looking at a screen far away with people talking here and there. Maybe you can just remind people that anime can be deeply emotional and thought provoking, and have some sort of 'library' system to lend people samples of these gems that are difficult to experience in a club environment. But that's just me, who prefers quiet solitude in those cases.

Or just follow what the geeks in Genshiken do :3

*or you find someone who's good at drawing manga, and hold drawing sessions~ for obvious reasons, lot of people in my high school found drawings of manga style so attractive, and always expressed their interest in learning how to draw like that. And it's quite easy if you practice a little.

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 04:07:18 PM »
Quote from: DarkKanti
I did the whole club thing back in high school for a while.  It never really worked out too well because the teacher I got to moderate us was really flakey.  Although I was the "president" it was basically a free rule type club.  We voted on what we would watch each week and sometimes we just winged it (or is that wung it?).  Eventually it just broke down and we just started hanging out in a different class everyday playing video games and watching anime whenever we felt like.

That is a near verbatum description of what the anime club I sort of ran for a year or two was like.  It was completely informal and all the members brought some anime each week.  We took a vote on what to watch, watched an episode of it and then voted on what to watch next.  We also voted on sub or dub after listening to the recommendation of the owner.  I tried to show NTHT and RahXephon, but nobody voted on them for very long (although oddly enough we watched all of Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei).  Some of the shows we ended up watching a lot were GTO, Slayers, Maison Ikokku, Rune Soldier, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Getbackers, and for some unknown reason Maze (read my review, the show is absolute crap).  I would go for something light, but not flakey with a touch of humor.  The most important thing is to let the members watch the kind of stuff they want to watch even if better shows get passed over.

And yeah, once in a while we ended up just playing video games.  :)

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 05:18:52 PM »
Damn it.

I ran into a wall today, and it annoyed the shit out of me. Apparently there is are a few things I need to add to the club constitution (done that, did it when I got home). And I need to get the blessing of my schools AD (who is a ****, and my family doesn't have a good history with him). I plan on speaking with him tonight at a football game.

Argh... time to use what little of my father I have in me and strong arm this administration...

Offline Sara

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 02:17:23 PM »
Uh oh...

Are they going to make you get approval for the movies you want to show? Lord... whatever it is good luck. That will kill you before you even get started if your not careful. Again, find me if you need anything.

(I can type some stuff for you... I had to write several reports for my old clubs)

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 03:36:28 PM »
No, I doubt they will. The supervisor for the club teachs a "Film as Lit" class, so I will have him approve anything I have questions about. Also, that subject is covered in the club constitution;

ARTICLE IV   PURPOSE
Section 1: Viewing of Japanese animation series and films:
Clause 1: All viewing material will be school appropriate.
Clause 2: No viewing material will exceed an MPAA rating of PG-13 or a TV rating of TV-14.

Because our school is an ASB school, constitutions aren't uncommon for things like clubs. It wasn't that hard to write, but I enjoy writing stuff like this.

From the looks of it, I'll have the first meeting either this coming Wednesday or the Monday after next. Either is fine with me. More time to plan.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 04:59:03 PM »
Quote from: Kurier
Damn it.

I ran into a wall today, and it annoyed the shit out of me. Apparently there is are a few things I need to add to the club constitution (done that, did it when I got home). And I need to get the blessing of my schools AD (who is a ****, and my family doesn't have a good history with him). I plan on speaking with him tonight at a football game.

Argh... time to use what little of my father I have in me and strong arm this administration...

Seven said something stupid - Kurier
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 08:47:01 PM by Kurier »

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 07:49:49 AM »
Quote from: Seven
Seven said something stupid - Kurier

*snicker snicker*

Mod corruption!

Apparently we need to have a Post Your Feelings thread here too! Don't make me do it!! I will if I have to!!  

:V
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 10:26:49 AM by Kurier »

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 10:27:35 AM »
I'll corrupt you in a minute...

I need a list of anime with first episodes that are school appropriate. /r/ is fail, so y'all have to do.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 07:40:18 PM »
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
FLCL (trust me, NO ADULT gets it the first time...all those sexual innuendos...)
Naruto
One Piece
AzuDai
ROD
most of the recent stuff, I guess...just no fanservice!
and w/e action anime you can think of. Action anime never goes wrong!

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 09:00:14 PM »
I got approved by the way, so now I just need to decide on a date for the first meeting and let everyone know...

That list looks good; too bad I only own AzuDai and ROD. I really need to find out how many people can stand subs; because I have stuff like Fate/Stay Night and Gankutsuou that would be awesome.

Offline Sara

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 04:01:11 PM »
Erm... be careful with that. Since you're a sub person I would let everyone know what titles you will have available to watch this year. that way it's not so suprising and they have a chance to find out a little about what it is.

Some things my Mashiranu Anime Club watched:
(Only the first episodes were shown)

-Naruto
-Bleach
-Sailor Moon
-Dragonball (along with the closing episode of GT)
-Lupin the 3rd (chosen episode out of sync to avoid violation of my school rules)
-Magic Knight Rayearth
-Fruits Basket
-Full Moon wo Sagashite
-Tenchi Muyo (Same as Lupin, I ended up showing either episode 7 or 8 of the OVA)
-Azumanga Daioh
-Trigun
-Cowboy Bebop (I had to selectively play this on a day when my sponser was away. be careful because even though it doesn't have fanservice it has realistic violence that pisses some schools off :-/)
-One Piece
-Oh! My Godess
-Otaku No Video (This was hilarious BTW; Not the movie really but what peoples reactions were to it)
-Rurouni Kenshin
-Dr. Slump (I showed the new and the old one. Be selective with episodes)
-Ranma 1/2 (I showed episode 4 or 5... be selective)'
-Rumic World (Same as Ranma)
-Pandaz
-Samurai Champloo
-He Is My Master (Technically I only showed about 5 minutes of this... simply to introduce them to "foreign" anime)
-Fushigi Yuugi
-Pretear
-Orphen
-Ashita No Joe
-Hajime No Ippo

So yeah... as said, just be careful with some of those and use your common sense before showing a group of 15-18 yeard olds something like Naruto or he Is My Master.

Always watch any anime you plan on showing FULLY BEFOREHAND. Write down certain cultural references you may need to help newer fans with. You don't have to if you don't want to but it's also a good idea to watch the dub of the said anime to to make sure it's language is appropriate.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 05:32:55 PM »
Now that is what I was looking for.

My supervisor is a film-buff, so I believe I can get away with more that if I had a 'regular' supervisor.

Updates - I'm in the works of securing a room for the club to use for its meetings; probably have the first meeting next monday (I have my fingers crossed).

You got away with showing Otaku no Video?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 05:42:06 PM by Kurier »

Offline Dtortot

• Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.mangareviewer.com

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 06:14:51 PM »
Show Berserk. The first episode is totally OK for school <_<

Offline Sara

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 07:10:56 PM »
It's unbelievably easy to get away with some stuff if you show it in japanese. that way there is no "Unsuitable Language" problem because people passing by can't understadn it :D

I used a library room last year. I suggest using a room with a white board /chalk board thats a decent size so you can easily show anything you may want to discuss. It's also good if you are going over Japanese words so the members will have abetter understanding of the way the language is spelt and how the words sound.

With the videos:

I had plenty of new people so we occasionally would pause the movie and discuss what was happening (I usually did this if a common question was being asked. Or if we had been talking about art representing feeling) That sin't something I wholely suggest doing unless you think it's necessary. get to know your members first before you decide on anyhting like that. You wouldn't want to rip them of their anime wathcing experience. D:

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 07:31:55 PM »
Don't show FLCL the first week.  In fact you might be better off not showing it at all.  90+ percent of all people I know who have seen it were completely turned off to it because they didn't immediately "get it" or it was too bizzare.  If you want people to come back don't alienate them.

Why wouldn't he be able to show Otaku no Video?  It's PG-13 except for the hentai otaku part, but it's not like that section was designed to arouse, it is a documentary.  It is designed to inform (in a tongue in cheeck kind of way).  I would show it towards the end of the year so people don't get any bad ideas about anime fans right from the start.

Offline Sara

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 01:16:34 PM »
I think Otaku No Video is a must see in this case. No one will understadn it simply because it was released so long ago and it didn't exactly age well but it's a classic in my opinion, and a very good way to inform people.

SHowing it at the end of the year probably is a good idea like Kuma said. I don't think people would get the wrong idea about anime fans simply because Otaku No Video isn't only about anime otaku. It's all up to you.

(Do you even have Otaku No Video?)

Offline Dtortot

• Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.mangareviewer.com

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2006, 02:38:50 PM »
Show them Speed Grapher... Bondage Orgies!

In all seriousness now... I am stranged how no one suggested Excel Saga, it has plenty of things that everyone could relate to plus it is mindless fun. And I wouldn't stay after school to watch NTHT, even when it is a great anime, it is too thick and hard to swallow just like Evangelion or Gilgamesh.

Try showing that, Excel Saga, it also has a great advantage
since the plot is paper-thin you can pick the episodes that are really worthwile.

You can also show Hajime no Ippo, like, some of the eps, not all of it, although if they like it they might ask for all of it, and good luck with that.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 03:42:58 PM »
Quote from: Sara
I think Otaku No Video is a must see in this case. No one will understadn it simply because it was released so long ago and it didn't exactly age well but it's a classic in my opinion, and a very good way to inform people.

SHowing it at the end of the year probably is a good idea like Kuma said. I don't think people would get the wrong idea about anime fans simply because Otaku No Video isn't only about anime otaku. It's all up to you.

(Do you even have Otaku No Video?)

As a Gainax-fanboy, it would be a sin against nature to not own Otaku no Video. I think I will show it towards the end of the year.

Meeting is next monday, I secured the choir room and now I need to register for an InFocus machine.

Offline Sara

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2006, 08:25:35 PM »
Ah, I just remembered. You should definatly show Tokyo Godfathers. I did during last years Christmas and got many appreciatory remarks from my members. A must see thing.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2006, 08:55:09 PM »
I finally have a true use for my NetFlix's account.

Got the InFocus machine, and now it is all a waiting game. Hopefully the turn out is good on Monday.

Offline Sara

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2006, 03:48:16 AM »
Good luck today. I seriosuly hope everything goes well for you :)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2006, 07:48:34 AM »
Nice. Good luck! And remember that if things go awry, do not be discouraged. Keep pushing along.

By the way,wtf is an infocus machine? I hope you're using a projector for this and not a crappy TV. And if it's a projector, you do know that you can hook up a laptop, and play AVI files?

Offline Sara

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 05:30:00 PM »
http://i.askask.com/2004/07/infocus_4805.jpg

It's a projector.  

I bet you ca. get away with brining a disc to school and showing it through that.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2006, 05:34:28 PM »
Quote from: Tamashii
Nice. Good luck! And remember that if things go awry, do not be discouraged. Keep pushing along.

By the way,wtf is an infocus machine? I hope you're using a projector for this and not a crappy TV. And if it's a projector, you do know that you can hook up a laptop, and play AVI files?

What is this black magic you speak of?!  wryyy

Kidding, kidding, I'm pretty computer savy. I know what I am doing when it comes to stuff like this.

The first meeting was good. Not as great a turn out as I would have hoped for. A lot of issues with grades mostlikely (the club meets during a tutoring period on Mondays from 1:45 til 3:05, if you have good enough grades [above C's in all class] you can leave or go to a club).

The turn out was 11, which was alright for a first meeting. We watched Azumanga Daioh and Overman King Gainer in full, and half of Gundam 0083. I didn't have as much time as I hoped for because we didn't get started till about 2.

Next week I'm showing Princess Princess and Haruhi. I got the best reaction from Azumanga, so I think I will show at least one comedy each week.

EDIT//

Yeah, I used an InFocus machine with Laptop/DVD player.

Offline Sara

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006, 05:56:57 PM »
So good to hear it went well.

How did those question-papers go?

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006, 08:47:42 PM »
As I had expected. A lot of the people there were new to newish in the realm of anime. The survey I filled out and my VPs survey were the most diverse and well filled out. I still have a bunch left over, so I will give them to new members as they join.

Offline Sara

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 04:10:06 AM »
Just out of curiosity (and possibly to help you out with what type of things to discuss of show) what would say were the "averages" of the surveys?

What was the typically most watched genre?
How many anime had been previously viewed by your members?
Have any of them heard of any studios? If so what were commonly known of studios?
Number of people that knew what cosplaying was or has done it?
Any Japanese experience?
How many have been to an anime convention?

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 06:21:18 PM »
The overall impression I got from the surveys was that everyone with the exception of myself, my VP and another girl, no one in the room had anime experience greater than the mainstream American market.

For that reason, I'm showing Princess Princess and Haruhi next Monday. ^_^

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2006, 05:01:17 PM »
11 sounds like a good number to start. But realize that there are many more anime fans than that. Spread the word. Have the club be very welcoming AND fun, and encourage your members to seek out for more members. "Don't be shy to bring your friends for a good time." etc etc. Keep pushing for the club and eventually, you will pull an easy 20-25 people every meeting.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2006, 05:15:18 PM »
Had our third meeting today, and I showed Death Note. The reaction I got to it was amazing. Everyone really enjoyed it and they want to see more.

I'm finding out slowly what it is like to run a club. No one tells me when a decision they make will effect the club (the 2nd meeting nearly happened in a room smaller than my room at home, which can by no means hold 11 people let alone the 15 we got that day, luckly I don't do much during lunch and got it all fixed), tracking down the InFocus machine has become common place and I must please my audience. It has been really eye opening.

I'm also finding out what it is like to deal with people I don't like. There is/are one to three people who I'd love to kick out (because of their random outbursts and less than appropriate requests) but I lack the numbers to be willing to do it. I've had my VP deal with it, so it isn't that bad anymore (never watching Princess Princess again...).

Now, if I wanted to have like an after-school "event" and I wanted to make some money to start a club library or club party (for the members who come to regular meetings), what could I charge for that wouldn't be charging for watching the anime? I was thinking like paying for seating or something, but I don't know how legal that is.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2006, 05:34:25 PM »
I've had my VP deal with it, so it isn't that bad anymore (never watching Princess Princess again...).
Princess Princess is a pile of crap, though.  Expect review when I'm not so lazy.  Also, there's not so much you can do about unwanted behaviour.  It's all part of running a club... some people are just going to be jackasses.

Btw, Haruhi is a good choice to push mainstream American audiences into not-so-mainstream anime, but expect a lot of people with less experience in anime to simply not "get" it.  I think it's one of those anime that does require a pretty good understanding of the general archtypes of anime... seeing as how it spends a lot of time smashing them.  But, hey, I'll support anyone trying to spread God's good word.

Anyway, as far as trying to raise some funds is concerned, an event isn't a bad idea, but as soon as you start showing anime, it's legality becomes questionable.  How about a raffle?  Buy a box set and raffle it off.  Word of advice:  buy a cheap box set, else you run the big risk of not being able to profit from it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 07:28:58 PM by Sorrow-kun »

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2006, 06:39:58 PM »
Hmm... you speak with the words of a thousand Angels. Princess Princess is crap. I showed it at the request of my VP, then the club members forced me to watch the ED; I nearly cried in horror.

Cheap boxset ay? Is it legal to raffle off something I own?

What do you all think about having like a "Gaming day" in an anime club? Of course it would be Japanese games and video games from Japan, but do you think it fits the perameters?

Did I mention my VP veto'ed Haruhi when I tried to show it? I was angry. However, I think they liked what I showed in its place a lot more than anything else I had shown so far (Kino no Tabi)

Offline mouse

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2006, 12:09:39 PM »
Cheap boxset ay? Is it legal to raffle off something I own?
Raffles are usually items that have either been donated, created (crafts/art), or purchased.  As long as you don't keep the money for your own pocket, but put it toward the club, there should be no problem.  Until your club treasury has more funds, you or any volunteers will have to financially shoulder these kinds of things.

Get a cheap Anime Legends/Thinpak/Signature series boxset off deepdiscountdvd.com or other website when they have a sale.  You really don't want to spend alot for your raffles so it might even be better to buy single dvds and raffle off 4-5 at once.  Again, do some major bargain/comparative shopping online and off for whatever you end up raffling off.  

Or get the permission/permits and whatnot to do car washes, bake sales, selling lemonade... something along those lines.  =}

Whatever you do though, you should first propose these events to your club members to make sure they're even interested in attending.  Or take votes from a choice of three.  Because if all else fails, members may just be willing to donate the cash toward putting it together.  And you're not charging them to watch anime unless that's the ONLY thing planned...  The money should be going toward space rental, food, decorations, etc.  

About a club library though, I'm thinking Genshiken here where they had their own permanent room.  Do you have that?  A public space set aside specifically for your club 24/7?  With storage?  A space where only you and perhaps your VP have a key to lock things up when either of you are not there to monitor?  To fund something like that you'll have to rely on member donations (of either money or anime) and a sophisticated treasury system where money is specifically set aside to purchase the club's collection.  I hardly think it's worth it for a high school anime club though.  Members are transient, not to mention hormonal, teenagers that have no concept of property and won't think twice about minor theft.  Well, some of them anyway.  ^_~

What do you all think about having like a "Gaming day" in an anime club? Of course it would be Japanese games and video games from Japan, but do you think it fits the perameters?
I think it's a good idea.  You could even do games that have become anime or vice versa.  The club doesn't need to center around anime 24/7 in all events.  Especially since people that are interested in anime are usually interested in gaming as well.  Again, present these ideas to your club members.  If it's something they want to do, that's all that matters.  

Hope some of this helps.  I don't claim any real experience with running clubs and such since it's not really my interest, but these are issues I've seen other organizations encounter.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2006, 02:25:47 PM »
Quote from: mouse
Get a cheap Anime Legends/Thinpak/Signature series boxset off deepdiscountdvd.com or other website when they have a sale.  You really don't want to spend alot for your raffles so it might even be better to buy single dvds and raffle off 4-5 at once.  Again, do some major bargain/comparative shopping online and off for whatever you end up raffling off.
If you're gonna raffle off single DVDs, make sure they're movies or one-offs or something.  Pointless to give away single DVDs from a series, IMO.

Offline Sara

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2006, 06:26:45 PM »
The raffle thing is a good idea but that digs into personal funds...

What I ended up doing was having booths at school events and such. We collaberated with the Fine Arts departments and did some face-painting, DVD showing (this is accomplished with a small DVD player at a booth), random members wore cosplay, and we generally talked to the parents and teachers and whomever about anime and what it's about.

As for students pitching in... well, you can always imply that the club needs funding. You don't have to give them anything.

You mentioned the funding being for after-school events such as parties and whatnot. let me assure you that anime-club parties are the cheapest parties you will ever have to throw. Don't worry about that. What I think you should invest some time in is getting some manga magazines or club-owned equipment for the other things that are done in an anime club. (Although I'm not sure what exactly you do... fill me in and I'll be a bit more specific.)

If you are willing to draw from your own pockets, I suggest going into a used book store and picking up old or untranslated manga. If you'd like to (and if they're in good condition) these would be good things to raffle off because they can't easily be bought for cheaper at the nearest Target. If you plan on sticking to the box-set thing then I suggest getting some of that manga anyway for future discussions over whatever the situation may bring. it's just good to have.

(I seriously wish I could just hand you all of my old club stuff that I was able to to keep. Your club could benefit from it so much...)

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2006, 07:15:44 PM »
Last Meeting; Amazing!

Including myself and my vice-president; 21 people were in attendants to watch FMA (ep. 3 Mother, I showed this to help all those who watch FMA on adult swim and have no clue what is going on) and Death Note ep. 3 (they are ADDICTED to the Death Note anime, so I am showing it every week or so).

Next Meeting, Nov. 6th, I'm going to show Evangelion >__> I'm being selfish and showing it because my birthday is the 8th. They should enjoy the break from reading subtitles though.

Currently, I am only running the club in my school. My school is part of 4 schools that share one campas (this is what is known as a small school, kinda like communism right now, perfect in theory but I don't know how it will pan out... but I digress). I am thinking about expanding the club into the other 3 schools next semester.

Thoughts?

Edit// (Just read Sara's post above this)

Brilliant Ideas! When I return to Japan this summer, I am going to raid some Book Off and bring back a few full collections of manga DIRT CHEAP. I plan on running the club next year so this is future talk.

As for what we do;

I only have 1hr for club meetings (something I might change, once I know what I will be doing with the expansion of the club). All the meetings so far have consisted of watching two seperate episodes. That is all we can do in the short ammount of time, but sometimes we have about 15 minutes for discussions.

I'm going to start introducing members to manga, if they don't already read it that is. I can see doing a manga discussion every other week and only showing 1 episode on those days.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 07:33:14 PM by Kurier »
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up