Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 09:17:56 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime Clubs  (Read 13494 times)

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

Anime Clubs
« on: September 20, 2006, 05:17:02 PM »
The reason for my current spout of inactivity was caused by a personal mission of mine. Over the past two weeks, I have worked with the necessary channels in my school to set up a club for fans of anime. And earlier today, I gained approval to run the club.

*stares off into the sun, gazing at a long awaited goal accomplished*

So, now, I need ideas on what to do during the club. I'm the President (as so decided at the first meeting, which was myself and the now Vice-president standing next to each other and nominated eachother for the chairs).

Here is what I have so far;

First (or 1st and 2nd or more) episode screenings
Discussions (current anime topic related or fan stuff, etc.)
Anime-related games? (Dry Erase board iSketch?; Guess that tune)

The first meeting is Monday, and I am going to screen Azumanga Daioh and Overman King Gainer. Introductions will follow, and maybe a game or two.

Please, give me tips.

Also, I am trying to not let this steal me away from NR, < excuse >peru-peru-peru< / excuse >

>:3  >:3
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

Re: Anime Clubs
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 11:15:32 PM »
Show Bebop for the first movie, and then direct them to our reviews database for suggestions on week 2.

Win for us, win for you.

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting
    • http://www.empireofthephoenix.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 02:23:20 AM »
Mmm, anime clubs. I'm in one in university and here's one bit of advice. Its best not to allocate several whole meetings to running entire series. The reason i say this, is because everyone has different tastes, and if they know the next few weeks/months you'll only be showing X anime which they hate, they won't show up.

It happened here when my club decided to show the entire 1st GIG stand alone complex. About 1/3 of our group didn't turn up for quite a while

Hope that makes sense...

Thanks to DarkKanti for the Sig!

Offline Sara

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 07:12:00 AM »
Uh oh. You be careful.

I ran an anime club for three years so don't expect the same level of discussion (or intelligence) as you find online. For one, alot of newer members will join.

Experenced fans generally don't join and if they do they will hold high expectations.

I was also a president, so heres some things we did.

-Q&A: Typical I guess, but it's better than having stupid questions asked while your talking about an anime.
-Viewings: I only showed the first episodes. Half to get them interested and half to get them to come back. I would sometimes show the second a few months later)
-Baisc Japanese Lessons: We went over the basics of Hiragana and Katakana. Along with learning about commonly used terms in anime and manga. Nothing to serious.
-Contests: Rarely though. It ranged from drawing contests to banner contests. Occasionally computer graphics and sometimes research (This was hard to getm off the ground though)

I never tried games, simply because I had so many new people. I;m not trying to be a bitch when i say this but DO NOT get your expectations to high or you'll be disappointed with it. But I wish you luck with your club.

(A fun thing to do at the beginning is to make some sort of mascot. I did this my last year and all of my members really got into it. Just ask for some ideas and find out who can draw. This way you can advertise better and if the art is good you may get some more expericed members.)

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 04:12:12 PM »
I am assuming you ran your club in a middle school? (I don't mean to sound rude, just that your age is 15 and 15 - 3 = 12, and most 12 year olds are in middle schoo, although I'm not one to talkl).

Thank you for your suggestions, it is good to hear from someone with experience. I know I am going to need a lot of help. Good thing my VP is a people person.

I put up flyers today and some people stopped me to ask about the club. I hope people show up in numbers good enough to keep the club running. I figure high school will have a lot more anime fans than middle school, and I've noticed a lot more so I am hopeful.

I also secured to awesome InFocus w/ audio set up mobile lab thingy, which should be perfect for viewing anime.

Question: Do I steer away from subs? I personally can't stand some dubs, but my VP pointed out that subtitles might turn people off.

Keep the suggestions coming!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 04:14:37 PM by Kurier »

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 04:51:43 PM »
The first thing to keep in mind is that a club is meant to stray away from the standards and atmosphere of a classroom, therefore a club must adhere to different standards of comfortability. You can't make this a "learning" environment (well, I don't know what kind of school you go to, but few people are willing to really "discuss" things--not every anime fan is as smart as you are...most of them are NarutoKids). You've got to keep the expectations low and run it so that ANYONE can enjoy it. I'm pretty sure that there will be a handful of kids that come, with their friends, to just chill, relax, and watch some anime the whole time. It's not until you build a very strong, dedicated following, that you can show the 'sacred' shows like Evangelion, Now and Then, Here and There, and the likes. And in order to do that, you must start humble: Naruto, and all those inconsequential, but ultimately entertaining anime.

I would advise against using dubs, but as a "starter," I suggest using dubs so that few are alienated. And then the very next day you can alternate to subtitles, and see how your audience reacts. This also applies to most shows: show the first few episodes, maybe two, and see how your audience likes it. Remember that a club of this nature is based on the audience because if they do not like what you are showing, the whole thing can blow up in your face. It's not until you and the audience build a relationship of trust that you can start creeping on forbidden territory. After time, they will realize that "Hey, this guy shows GOOD stuff," and no matter what you throw at them, they will believe that it is "good."

To recap: Start simple, and build upon it. I'm sure that if you work your audience after a few weeks, they'll start liking you, and they won't mind the new ideas proposed, if any. Most will just come to watch anime. That's all. So my recommendation is to start with just that, watching anime, before you go anywhere else. Of course you're going to have to have a three-minute questionnaire to get people's opinions before they head off to their buses!

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 06:02:18 PM »
Tama, a great help as always.

I'm going to show the first episode(s) of Azumanga Daioh and Overman King Gainer. I figured a comedy and mecha/action would make for a good mix, but I might try showing a third series; suggestions?

I have a lot of anime (legal or not), but not a lot of it is "rookie-level".

I have a questionaire ready for everyone that shows up;

1) Basics
a)Name
b)Grade
c)School (our "school" is actually 4 small schools)

2)Have you before today watched any Japanese animation? If yes, please answer the following. If no, please stick around to see what you have been missing...

3)Favorite Japanese animation...
a)...series
b)...movie
c)...character
d)...studio

4)Other questions
a)Do you read Japanese manga?
b)Do you know what "cosplaying" is? If yes, have you ever cosplayed?
c)Have you ever been to a Japanese anime convention?
d)Have you ever been to Japan?
e)Have you or are you currently taking any Japanese language classes?

Thoughts?

Offline Sara

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 07:24:29 PM »
I ran it from 6th to 9th grade but I also co-ran (is that a word) a high-school club as well. Age truly doesn't play much of a role as far as "Anime-Maturity" goes so be careful.

As for the sub/dub thing. I usually went with subs but I always asked the group first what they thought about it. An interesting thing to do is to show everyone how to compare subs and dubs by swtiching the audio for 10 second screens. I would only do this with an anime after it had been viewed once by the group and then it would have to be a common anime (As mentioned, naruto would be a good example)

I think the question thing is a good idea. I did something similar to that also during my 3 year run. If you haven't printed that form yet you might want to add a question asking what types of anime-related hobbies they may have (AMV's, Fanart, Reviewing, Websites). And, if you think nessacary, if they've had any previous experience with an anime club before. This way if you need any officers for something it will be easier to decide on who is best suited for the job and narrow down the time it takes to get the appropriate help.

Again, good luck with endevours. If you need any help with anything or just personal experience please IM me. I'd love to help you Kurier.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 09:19:12 PM »
I did the whole club thing back in high school for a while.  It never really worked out too well because the teacher I got to moderate us was really flakey.  Although I was the "president" it was basically a free rule type club.  We voted on what we would watch each week and sometimes we just winged it (or is that wung it?).  Eventually it just broke down and we just started hanging out in a different class everyday playing video games and watching anime whenever we felt like.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 07:10:05 AM »
I think Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo has ridiculously large range of audience to appeal to. They're nicely paced, never too slow to keep us bored, and never too fast to keep make us confused. Full of action, fay-service, interesting world of space cowboys, smooth and funky music, nice animation. Not too complex but has that charming maturity and very fine subtelty that is so rare in anime. Naruto can sometimes repel some people because of its sheer stupidity. Maybe Melancholy of Haruhi can work as well.

I personally don't believe you can fully experience animes like NTHT in such an environment, you need to really get absorbed into the world and connect with the characters, and that's really hard to do if you're looking at a screen far away with people talking here and there. Maybe you can just remind people that anime can be deeply emotional and thought provoking, and have some sort of 'library' system to lend people samples of these gems that are difficult to experience in a club environment. But that's just me, who prefers quiet solitude in those cases.

Or just follow what the geeks in Genshiken do :3

*or you find someone who's good at drawing manga, and hold drawing sessions~ for obvious reasons, lot of people in my high school found drawings of manga style so attractive, and always expressed their interest in learning how to draw like that. And it's quite easy if you practice a little.

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 04:07:18 PM »
Quote from: DarkKanti
I did the whole club thing back in high school for a while.  It never really worked out too well because the teacher I got to moderate us was really flakey.  Although I was the "president" it was basically a free rule type club.  We voted on what we would watch each week and sometimes we just winged it (or is that wung it?).  Eventually it just broke down and we just started hanging out in a different class everyday playing video games and watching anime whenever we felt like.

That is a near verbatum description of what the anime club I sort of ran for a year or two was like.  It was completely informal and all the members brought some anime each week.  We took a vote on what to watch, watched an episode of it and then voted on what to watch next.  We also voted on sub or dub after listening to the recommendation of the owner.  I tried to show NTHT and RahXephon, but nobody voted on them for very long (although oddly enough we watched all of Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei).  Some of the shows we ended up watching a lot were GTO, Slayers, Maison Ikokku, Rune Soldier, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Getbackers, and for some unknown reason Maze (read my review, the show is absolute crap).  I would go for something light, but not flakey with a touch of humor.  The most important thing is to let the members watch the kind of stuff they want to watch even if better shows get passed over.

And yeah, once in a while we ended up just playing video games.  :)

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 05:18:52 PM »
Damn it.

I ran into a wall today, and it annoyed the shit out of me. Apparently there is are a few things I need to add to the club constitution (done that, did it when I got home). And I need to get the blessing of my schools AD (who is a ****, and my family doesn't have a good history with him). I plan on speaking with him tonight at a football game.

Argh... time to use what little of my father I have in me and strong arm this administration...

Offline Sara

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 02:17:23 PM »
Uh oh...

Are they going to make you get approval for the movies you want to show? Lord... whatever it is good luck. That will kill you before you even get started if your not careful. Again, find me if you need anything.

(I can type some stuff for you... I had to write several reports for my old clubs)

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 03:36:28 PM »
No, I doubt they will. The supervisor for the club teachs a "Film as Lit" class, so I will have him approve anything I have questions about. Also, that subject is covered in the club constitution;

ARTICLE IV   PURPOSE
Section 1: Viewing of Japanese animation series and films:
Clause 1: All viewing material will be school appropriate.
Clause 2: No viewing material will exceed an MPAA rating of PG-13 or a TV rating of TV-14.

Because our school is an ASB school, constitutions aren't uncommon for things like clubs. It wasn't that hard to write, but I enjoy writing stuff like this.

From the looks of it, I'll have the first meeting either this coming Wednesday or the Monday after next. Either is fine with me. More time to plan.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 04:59:03 PM »
Quote from: Kurier
Damn it.

I ran into a wall today, and it annoyed the shit out of me. Apparently there is are a few things I need to add to the club constitution (done that, did it when I got home). And I need to get the blessing of my schools AD (who is a ****, and my family doesn't have a good history with him). I plan on speaking with him tonight at a football game.

Argh... time to use what little of my father I have in me and strong arm this administration...

Seven said something stupid - Kurier
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 08:47:01 PM by Kurier »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up