Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 12, 2017, 10:27:41 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ...pointless story...of anime geekdom  (Read 3591 times)

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

...pointless story...of anime geekdom
« on: August 26, 2006, 10:23:54 AM »
Okay! Posting this because I can! This is the story of anime geekdom! This is my story of going to see one of the NY screenings of the FMA movie...! Yeah...

So! It was raining cats and dogs when my dad, sister and I set out for the movie theater. When we got there, there were slight complications when getting the tickets. My sister couldn't get a child's priced ticket and because I'm not a college student, I couldn't get a student priced ticket. After the tickets were taken care of, we waited in line for a while to get into the theater. Then! After a wait, we got into the theater and because of the fact that my clothing was partially wet and the air conditioning, I was shivering a little bit. Heh.

Onto the people in the theater:
There was an Ed cosplayer in the row behind me and a person wearing a Risembool Rangers shirt (w00t). Then a person sat down next to me and the first words out of his mouth was "I came all the way from Jersey for this." Hehe.

Even if the movie was coming out on DVD in September, it should've been shown in more theaters...particularly in NY.

Then, a person from the theater came up and decided to play a trivia game with the audience with the prizes being posters. All I have to say is that I knew almost all of the answers...damn...I didn't get one of the posters.  wryyy

And then, the movie started. The crowd erupted during the opening sequence. Once Ed Elric and Roy Mustang appeared on the screen, total WHOOOOOOOOO...and then at the end of the sequence, loud insanity. I love that sequence. Let anime fangirldom ring.

Then there was the guy who shouted out "YEAH!" when Noa had placed herself over Ed...haha...

In the end, I would say, that after reading what Kuma said about seeing the FMA movie screening, he would not have been a happy camper. A good number of the crowd (including myself) were crazy fangirls. w00t. Haha, I would not be surprised if I half-freaked out the guy sitting next to me. And my dad, I think, for the most part didn't understand it...lol...

That was a fun experience. Whee...

Yes, and this is the end of this pointless story.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:21:34 PM by genki sakura »
When in doubt, speak Italian and sing "Seven Nation Army"

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: ...pointless story...of anime geekdom
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 11:01:47 AM »
All I can say is that that must have been quite the peculiar experience for your dad, and he must think you're friggin' crazy now.

I'm glad I didn't see a screening of it with a bunch of fangirls.  I imagine the screaming would get on my nerves as well.  >.>

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 12:27:32 PM »
Nah, my dad's been to an anime convention (technically two)...lol

It was fun...lol

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 12:37:05 PM »
Ha ha ha, reminds me of when the Cowboy Bebop movie came out in my town.  When I said I was going to go see it, my dad offered to come along.  

In a way, it was both really fun to have him come along, and kind of uncomfortable too, because I spent half the time wondering what he was thinking of it.  But it was more fun than uncomfortable.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 12:57:54 PM »
You wanna know awkward?! Try have a Navy man be your legal guardian at a con (my cousin's father, cool guy). It was one thing to talk him out of laughing out loud at fat cosplayers, but it was another thing to talk him into of leaving his 9mm in the car.

@ __ @

Geekdom stories? Allow me to ponder my memory a moment;

In the terms of movies, I think taking my mom to the first Pokemon movie was weird. She didn't really get it all, but she cried when Ash died. I thought I was embarrasing her by talking about the series with the random kids next to me, but when she started crying...

I also do most of my school reports about anime, manga, or Japan. Not because I'm a total nerd and that's all I think about, but because I dislike all the crappy generic reports other students give.

Most recent story would have to deal with my sister and I working on my Greed and Lupin III cosplay. I have never been called a "Trekkie" before, but now it seems to be my new nickname. Damn fool! We would go looking for the Green jacket necessary for Lupin III, and I would pretty much reject everything she pulled out ("No, wrong green" "No, wrong fabric" "No"). I'm sure she felt annoyed, and she isn't a fan, so it probably made no sense.
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 05:15:31 PM »
Quote from: Kurier
Ash died.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! you spoiled the amazing plot of the movie for all the fool who are not yet beholden to its greatness (read: suckitude).  If only Ash really did die and stay dead, I might have watched Pokemon beyond the first season.

The local theater made a huge deal out of the showing of the first Pokemon movie.  They gave out promo cards, had events and even a "Meet Ash" with some poor 11 year old kid in cosplay.  When I saw the second and third movies there, there were like three people in the theater each time besides me and my friends.

Fangirl screaming isn't so bad except when it's right in your ear to the point of literal deafening.  Thankfully I was able to hear the movie anyway due to Otakon's massive speaker system.  Don't get me started on the fanfics some of these people write.

I should also note that there were maybe three or four fanboys cheering during the screening.  That, and the fact that I hang out with 3-4 FMA fangirls (while knowing many more) and know of 0 FMA fanboys led to the comments.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 07:04:32 PM »
I remember seeing the first Pokemon movie 3 times. Not because I really liked it a lot, but because I just happened to go to the movies three times and that was the only thing out.

Totally random, but I just found my replica Ash hat (you know the original design). I should probably sell this on e-bay.
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 12:34:23 PM »
Quote from: dheu
In a way, it was both really fun to have him come along, and kind of uncomfortable too, because I spent half the time wondering what he was thinking of it.  But it was more fun than uncomfortable.

haha, yeah, true, "more fun than uncomfortable."

Quote from: Kuma
Fangirl screaming isn't so bad except when it's right in your ear to the point of literal deafening.  Thankfully I was able to hear the movie anyway due to Otakon's massive speaker system.  Don't get me started on the fanfics some of these people write.

Lol, well, it wasn't deafening.

Lol, I'd like to see you get started on the fanfics some of these people write...lmao if you're talking about yaoi-crazed fangirls

hehe.

I'm not a yaoi-crazed fangirl though...have I read yaoi/shonen-ai? yes, but I got a good laugh out of them...

Royai=life
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:38:39 PM by genki sakura »

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 04:32:55 PM »
Fandom is a scary thing. You are why I torrent.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 12:55:48 PM »
Haha, I had a good laugh. Fun thread, guys. Unfortunately, I have no fandom experience (or fortunately?). However, the prospect of confronting fangirls and, dare I say, fanboys, is terrifying just in thought...!
Pages: [1]   Go Up