Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 10:06:11 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: At The Movies  (Read 3543 times)

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

At The Movies
« on: August 13, 2006, 02:49:06 PM »
I know there's been alot of talk in the Pirates of the Carribean thread (some good, some bad), so I made a thread dedicated to all movies in hopes of stirring up some conversation.  

So, what was the last movie (in theaters or at home it doesn't matter) saw and what did you think of it?

I recently purchased and watched V for Vendetta, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it.  It's based on the comic book by Alan Moore (some British fellow I'm assuming) and although I've only read a bit of the comic book, it does seem to keep the same atmosphere and plot line that the comic did.  The acting (particularly Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving) was pretty good, however I felt that often times the dialouge was a little too...  well... verbose.  V seems to love to hear himself talk in this movie and a lot of it seems quite unnecessary.  All that aside though, this is definately a good movie with a nice story and decent action.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: At The Movies
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 04:04:25 PM »
Open Range - Guns*(Kevin Costner + Robert Duvall)^Cowboys = Win

My brother got this off NetFlicks so I ended up watching it, just looking for some cheap gunslinger entertainment. I got that (however it wasn't so cheap) and a pretty good movie to boot. Robert Duvall ("Boss") and Kevin Costner ("Charlie Waite", an ex-civil war elite soldier) play free range cattle men. After a slow but entertaining beginning, this movie really starts to get good. The shoot outs are believable and the violet Kevin Costner keeps you laughing and sympathizing for the recievers of his pain.

I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 12:48:10 PM »
Talladega Nights.

WTF. I never want to see Will Ferrel make out with a guy ever again. Decent story, hilarious and witty. "You've got a pound of Columbian bam-bam under your car so run or get sent to jail!" Family Values!

Offline Pachinko

• Miss Conduct
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 03:59:34 PM »
Lady in the Water:

I loved it. It wasn't scary, but beautifully inspiring instead. A pleasent suprise.

Poseidon:

Nice, crystal clear imagery. The characters didn't develop as nicely as they could've, but I'll always adore the sink-boat story.

Aquamarine:

I was suprised! This was an adorable movie!! The characters and the plot was too cute, I say.

The Descent:

Scary... Chilling... Characters were sweet; but too gory & blood-ridden for my tastes.

The Next Best Thing

Always has been a favourite! Watched it recently, and it only proved to be even more enjoyable than the last times.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 04:03:54 PM by Pachinko »

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 10:06:56 PM »
Harry Pooper and the Toilet of Fire

The movie was good. Nice visuals. The characters are simplistic, yet flexibly casual, and are pleasant on-screen. The overall plot and story is pretty interesting. However, I had to have my sister explain some of the conclusion to me, because I never read nor saw the first/third movie. I have seen the second movie, but I can barely recall what it pertains. Nonetheless, an interesting 2 hours.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 10:16:37 PM »
Snakes on a Plane

Best. Dumb. Movie. Ever.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 04:18:05 PM »
Jet Li's Fearless

Holy Middle Kingdom. Fearless is one of Jet Li's best, if not the best, martial arts film. Well paced, perfectly planned and exicuted, an orgasmic treat to anyone who watches it. It is depressing that this is Jet Li's last martial arts movie, because it is damn good. I haven't seen Jet Li fight so passionately since I saw tapes of his childhood training.

Best thing to come out of China, ever.

I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline UZ teh Burger King

• Wake up with the King.
    • http://www.drshnaps.com/uz/mage

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 05:29:38 PM »
Heh, the last movie I saw was SoaP. I don't go to the Movies much. But still.

Pages: [1]   Go Up