Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 08:40:35 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (Spoiler Alert)  (Read 2316 times)

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (Spoiler Alert)
« on: July 24, 2006, 12:09:34 PM »
I have to say that this could have been the best installment of the FMP series so far.

But unfortunately, the awesomeness of the series was marred by what I'd consider to be a very, very weak ending.

Throughout the whole series, we build up to Sousuke's internal crisis, as he begins to doubt himself, his purpose, and his life. This is absolutely brilliant drama, and so believable, as after a lifetime of violence and killing, he begins to become like the Chinese twin sisters.

And you go through the whole series expecting some kind of meaningful resolution, and some kind of character change.

But then, in the last episode, all of this build-up is squandered! Ruined! Wasted! Chidori somehow finds him in the middle of Hong Kong, and smacks him, and instantly everything is back to normal. It's like playing through a really hard game and beating a ton of difficult bad guys....... and then someone slams the "reset" button on you, making you lose hours and hours of progress. All the build-up, all of the emotional stress and drama.... it was all for nothing. I've never felt so cheated by an anime before.

Don't get me wrong. I'd still say that this is one of the best anime I've seen in a long time. Not a moment of it is wasted, and there are a ton of brilliant moments that advance the characters and develop them believably.

It's just that so much more could have been done with the ending. I don't want Sousuke to suffer.... but one smack by Chidori and he's practically back to normal, after all that soul-searching and wavering over the line into pure compassionless inhumanity?

CHEATED.

And although there was that great scene in which Sousuke stands down his superiors in order to be sent back to school, and that scene in the hallway between Chidori and Sousuke.... pretty much everything else goes right back to normal again. Something should have changed! After watching this anime, I just feel like it took about ten steps forward throughout the course of the series.... and then eleven steps back in the last episode.

But maybe I'm just ranting too much. I really, really did enjoy this series, and this is a top-knotch addition to the FMP world.

I just... kind of wished for something more, at the end.

But I suppose they just had to return everything to how it was, so that they can make more series after this one. *sigh*

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

Re: Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (Spoiler Alert)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 05:21:03 PM »
TSR is light years ahead of the other two series, IMO.  I do agree that the ending was poor and easily the worst ep of the series, but given how fantastic the other 12 eps were, I didn't mind that much.  I can see why they did it as well: reseting back to the same situation as the beginning of the series makes it easier to write more sequels.  Also, in a sense, I think it highlights just what Chidori means to Sousuke... just her presence alone is enough to give Sousuke the motivation he needs to do his job, etc, etc.

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Re: Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (Spoiler Alert)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 06:59:40 PM »
True.... but it was too easy.  It cheapened all the character development he went through in the previous episodes.  None of the soul-searching meant anything, in the end.  With one whap from Chidori... it was all back as it was.

I agree that the other 12 episodes were absolutely fantastic.  I just wish that they had the balls to go on from that point in future series, rather than resetting everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up