Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 09:43:34 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grave of the Fireflies  (Read 4198 times)

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting
    • http://www.empireofthephoenix.co.uk

Grave of the Fireflies
« on: May 17, 2005, 01:25:03 PM »
I just bought this anime at the weekend and have just watched it. What an anime!!

I find it has an excellent storyline with lots of beautiful depictions/scenes throughout ( one scene especially when they get loads of fireflies and release them in thier abode)

I got this anime on the case of its reputation, and boy was i not disapointed!, I would recomend this to anyone.

So now that i've stated my view, what are your opinion's on it?

Thanks to DarkKanti for the Sig!

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Grave of the Fireflies
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 02:56:34 PM »
It's definitely one of the strongest war movies I have ever seen, not only from a technical aspect but also from an intellectual, scholastic, and emotional standpoint. It's not a very easy movie to appreciate or comprehend to a very high level of perception. I've heard people call it "boring", "nothing special", and "predictable". Grave of the Fireflies is like any great movie: one can watch it and make a human connection. The story transcends its time, restrictions, and colorful pictures; it is much more than just two children in the middle of a war. I do not want to say what I personally believe the movie was about or what significance every scene had as it is truly up to you to give it meaning for yourself.

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

Grave of the Fireflies
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 07:13:59 PM »
It is an amazing movie, but as for "what it means" I don't see any hidden meanings or anything.  The movie's point is blatantly obvious, war sucks.  There is some symbolism, such as the fruit drops representing innocence, or Setsuko and Seita's physical conditions.  The fireflies represent the people of Japan, or possibly just the Japanese soldiers.  Saying GotF is about more than the hellish conditions of war would be like saying Now and Then, Here and There is about the dangers of communism and Shu is a Christ figure.  No evidence to suggest either theory.  Unless you would like to share where you got your idea...

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

Grave of the Fireflies
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 11:31:52 AM »
Like I pointed out between the lines, a movie is what you make of it. No one can tell you what you it really means or what it doesn't mean (one of the reasons why I hate jackass-elitist critics). Tarantino once said "If I got 100 million people to see my movie [Pulp Fiction], then they would have seen 100 million movies".

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

Grave of the Fireflies
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 06:28:07 PM »
My bad, I thought you were talking about hidden meanings instead of personal reactions.   :)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

Grave of the Fireflies
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 04:32:10 PM »
Understood, compadre.

Offline Taleweaver

Grave of the Fireflies
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 03:45:38 AM »
Grave of the Fireflies is special in quite a few respects: it's probably one of the strongest anti-war movies altogether, it's easily one of the best anime productions ever and it is the first anime I'd show to someone who dismisses the entire genre as being "aimed at kids and perverts only", which is still quite a common stereotype around where I live. Artistically brilliant and with an engrossing script, it's still Takahata's unmatched masterpiece until this day.

Offline Pachinko

• Miss Conduct
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: Grave of the Fireflies
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 05:27:12 AM »
I can tell you, that no other anime has ever made such a lasting impression on me as 'Grave of the Fireflies' has. I cried my bloody eyes out, and allll. The message can never be erased from memory; it kind of wavers, in & out. Before watching it, I couldn't understand all the hubub and hype. It took me possibly two minutes into the film to realize that the movie was more that 'just another anime'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up