Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 10:01:51 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great "Underground" Bands  (Read 6640 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Great "Underground" Bands
« on: October 07, 2006, 04:51:52 PM »
After hearing them several weeks ago, I feel in love with their songs, Friction and Strangers, by Morcheeba and Portishead, respectively. The albums speak more than those sole songs can...so if you guys are into something different, check them out. They are old-school trip hop (and that means 1990s haha) with some incredible vocalizations. Morcheeba's lead singer Skye Edwards is just insane, and she's become one of my favorite new vocalists. Just listen to the songs Blindfold, Let Me See, or Friction on their album Big Calm and you'll understand.

Any other great bands you guys know that no one else has heard of?

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

Re: Great "Underground" Bands
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 06:07:39 PM »
Ahem.

Machinae Supremacy

Ahem.

Offline Dtortot

• Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.mangareviewer.com

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 09:45:06 PM »
Machinae Supremacy is underground? Please... I have seen their albums on my local music store. Plus they are not great.

Ghosts and Vodka. Best thing since sliced cheese.

Offline soundchazer

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 05:19:00 AM »
The Decemberists. Weird band with all sorts of musical influences.

My DVD Collection
Currently viewing:
Honey & Clover 20/?? | Okusama wa mahou shoujo 9/??  |  Miracle Girls  10/51  |  Yakitate!! Japan 37/?? |Speed Grapher 16/??

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 12:55:26 PM »
Decemberists aren't too underground up here.  The local radio played them a lot for a while.  They're a great band anyway.

Offline Pachinko

• Miss Conduct
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 03:24:16 PM »
From New York, Majorette is great. I've been to a couple shows. They have energy. They were featured on that MTV show "Made" once (the only episode I can stomach, it was pretty cute actually). I love them.

The Sounds are pretty underground in the U.S.

As for an underground artist, Regina Spektor. To words: aaah + mazing.

Offline mouse

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 07:49:13 AM »
Quote from: Pachinko

As for an underground artist, Regina Spektor. To words: aaah + mazing.
She's currently one of my favorite artists as well.  And thanks to Conan O'Brian for having her on his show a few months ago, otherwise, I would never have discovered her.  It was a weird coincidence too since I very rarely ever watch late night TV.  Anyway, her performance of "Fidelty" was simply amazing.  Still my favorite of hers though I haven't gotten the cd it's from (Begin to Hope) yet.  If anyone wants to sample her stuff, she's got all her music up on her website (and a video of Fidelty): http://www.reginaspektor.com/index2.html.  

Some other indie artists I like, well, I think most are indie:

Tegan & Sara- Twin sisters from Canada.  I just love their raw sound.  Favorite songs: I know I know I know from So Jealous; Underwater and Time Running from If It Was You.  If you like guitar/folk-like music, I highly recommend giving them a listen.  

The Postal Service-
I think they only have one album out called Give up and I like every song on it, especially The District Sleeps Alone Tonight and Brand New Colony.  I don't know how to describe their sound though... I guess electronic?  Progressive Rock?  I'd say they're similar to--in the same genre--as Frou Frou, if only a bit more upbeat.  

Ivy-
I love her calm, airy voice that blends so well with the music.  Favorite songs Ocean City Girl (<333) and Keep Moving from In the Clear.    I think she has some other cds as well, but I haven't heard them yet.  :/

The Stereophonics-
 This is a Brit band so I have no idea their popularity there, but I think for the US at least they're considered Indie/Underground.  They're definitely rock and I absolutely love them.  The lead has such a great voice, but don't ask me to describe it, all I can come up with is raw yet refine... Whatever that means.  XD  Some favorite songs include Dakota and Girl from Language. Sex. Violence. Other?, and Maybe Tomorrow from You Gotta Go There to Come Back.

Muse-
Ok not so Indie here, but I think they're still trying to breakthrough in the US (another Brit band).  Favorite songs Starlight from Black Holes and Revelations and Time is Running Out from Absolution.  They remind me most of another fav. band, The Killers.

Offline Phate

• Just one more thing...

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 12:28:53 PM »
Quote from: mouse

The Postal Service- I think they only have one album out called Give up and I like every song on it, especially The District Sleeps Alone Tonight and Brand New Colony.  I don't know how to describe their sound though... I guess electronic?  Progressive Rock?  I'd say they're similar to--in the same genre--as Frou Frou, if only a bit more upbeat.  

I got a couple of their songs about two years ago; it took me a while before I finally got the rest of their album Give Up but I was glad that I did. Their sounds is the best thing they have going since I'm a bit iffy on the vocals for a few songs. Still a great album/band though, and "Such Great Heights" is probably my favorite song off the album, but I like them all; very soothing and nice to listen to while on a nice cruise through town!

I'm a music newb and "underground" music is most definitely not my specialty-- there's a decent local underground scene here in Santa Cruz but I don't know much about it. I think the only other artist I listen to that could be considered underground is Neko Case, and I'm not so sure about that. I recommend her anyway, though.

Offline Pachinko

• Miss Conduct
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 03:51:50 PM »
Quote from: mouse
She's currently one of my favorite artists as well. And thanks to Conan O'Brian for having her on his show a few months ago, otherwise, I would never have discovered her. It was a weird coincidence too since I very rarely ever watch late night TV. Anyway, her performance of "Fidelty" was simply amazing. Still my favorite of hers though I haven't gotten the cd it's from (Begin to Hope) yet. If anyone wants to sample her stuff, she's got all her music up on her website (and a video of Fidelty): http://www.reginaspektor.com/index2.html.

Some other indie artists I like, well, I think most are indie:

Tegan & Sara- Twin sisters from Canada. I just love their raw sound. Favorite songs: I know I know I know from So Jealous; Underwater and Time Running from If It Was You. If you like guitar/folk-like music, I highly recommend giving them a listen.

Ahhh, that performance was awesome! I think it refreshed my love for her. :] But, to tell the truth, Begin to Hope wasn't that hot. The two best songs are "Fidelity" and "On The Radio". Of course, it is a decent listen. I prefer her earlier albums though. <3

I <3's Tegan and Sara, too!! :>
Pages: [1]   Go Up