Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 08:40:24 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parents & Video Games  (Read 3552 times)

Offline AnimeGenesis

• Mind Melting
    • http://www.empireofthephoenix.co.uk

Parents & Video Games
« on: June 03, 2006, 05:10:17 PM »
Hey

So we all know by reading the games thread, you have some interest in video games. In this thread I am more interested in your parents.

Do your parents play video games. And if so, do they play them with you? Or on their own?

Well my mum doesn't play, but my dad does. He enjoys 2d platformer games, I rember playing Super Mario 3 and Super Metroid with him. He doesn't really have an interest in 3d console games, but he will play the occasional game of Mario Party 2 with me. One of his favourite genres is RTS, especailly C&C, Rise Of Nations and Age of Empires 2.

Thanks to DarkKanti for the Sig!

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: Parents & Video Games
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 05:45:31 PM »
My parents don't play video games.  It's just not their thing.  I did however get my dad to play and enjoy some MLB 06, but that's the best I've done.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 11:58:07 PM »
My dad's been playing games since as long as I can remember.  I can remember him beating the old Zelda's and Final Fantasy's back on the NES.  Lately though he's only been into PC games.  His favorite is the Ultima series.  

I never really played with him all that much.  As much as we both like games, we tend to play single player games and so we never really played together.  He's a grumpy old man anyways.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline ReadorDie

• Teh Newbie Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 09:06:32 AM »
My Mother occasionally watches me play a game because she's in love with some of the music.  There have been times when she's flat out asked me to replay the opening scene of Final Fantasy VIII so she can listen, or to get to the dance scene (which I permanantly have  save file directly before) so she can.

My Dad likes me to tape the plotlines and watch them with me.  Koudelka and Xenosaga in particular enthrall him.

I often joke that if they just liked the gaming part of video games, they would be avid gamers.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 12:10:04 PM »
My dad picked up a controller for 5 minutes and then threw it down. My mother hates TV or anything on it, except for "Desperate Housewives."

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 05:17:54 PM »
My parents are so conservative, that the very concept of imagining the concept of playing a "video game" would so give them a heart-attack, or maybe send them into a furious rage of frustation and confusion, "What has this world gone to?!" like an EMO kid.

My parents also hate it when I play any sort of games that's electronic (Hop-scotch is harmless, but Devil May Cry is harmful?!! I could break a leg jumping in Hop-scotch!), however they can do very little about it, besides maybe take the modem or some silly thing like that.

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 07:45:12 PM »
You have to play video games behind your parents back?!

Harsh, man.

Do they hate anime and manga too?

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 03:42:54 PM »
No, I don't have to play video games behind their backs. I play it without care and almost anytime I want--but like I said, they can't do anything about it besides take my modem or pull the plug.

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 03:53:13 PM »
My host father in Omiya played video games for 1 hour on Saturday and Sunday each. He played some Nobunaga sim, it was interesting to watch.

My father is known to play Madden once and awhile. My mother doesn't play at all, although she does sit in a blank stare of bewilderment when she sees something she is interested in (ex: The water CGM in FFX).

My grandfather occationally plays a deer hunting sim...
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline Pachinko

• Miss Conduct
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 04:14:08 PM »
My mother is the nut who got me into video games. And Vogue. And anime for that matter.

My father just kind of stands there, dumbfounded.

Point is, they don't mind in my personal indulges. =D~ Which is always a good thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up