Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 24, 2017, 12:35:22 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eyeshield 21  (Read 3769 times)

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

Eyeshield 21
« on: May 31, 2006, 12:11:20 AM »
Who else has read Eyeshield 21?  

I'm currently reading through the 16th volume.  I absolutely love the characters in Eyeshield.  Although the main character is a bit cliched, the supporting cast is very colorful and make for some hilarious jokes.  

While, it's true that the main focus of Eyehield 21 is American football, and not all the world plays the sport, it does explain the sport well enough where even if you've never watched a game, you can jump right in on the action.

If you've read any Eyeshield 21, feel free to comment on anything (your favorite character for example), and if you haven't you should definitely check it out.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

Re: Eyeshield 21
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 03:52:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm on volume 4. Definately has it's funny moments, thats for sure. But I don't know, it's a very...different subject matter, and if it is going to be a "defining manga" for a new genre, then I'd say the bar isn't set too high.

But I'm still enjoying it a hell of a lot. Send me 5-15 so I don't have to buy them.

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 07:29:50 PM »
I'm on volume 7 and eagerly awaiting volume 8's release.  I love this series so much.  The comedic timing is perfect, and the characters (besides the rather cliched main character) are just awesome.  It's an absolutely fantastic series; I'd say it's the best sports manga I've read, because although the underlying plot is similar to most sports manga (build up strength and beat out opponents through hard work, dedication, teamwork, blah blah blah), that is hardly what the point of the series is.

Hands-down, my favorite character is Hiruma.  He drives most of the comedy with his insanity and his evil manipulation.  He never fails to make me laugh out loud, either, even when I re-read volumes.

Offline Dtortot

• Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.mangareviewer.com

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 08:55:15 PM »
Quote from: Seven
Yeah, I'm on volume 4. Definately has it's funny moments, thats for sure. But I don't know, it's a very...different subject matter, and if it is going to be a "defining manga" for a new genre, then I'd say the bar isn't set too high.

But I'm still enjoying it a hell of a lot. Send me 5-15 so I don't have to buy them.
Got Lurk? Google Got Lurk.

And the bar in Sports manga has been there for ages long before Eyeshield 21 and to me, Hajime no Ippo is the one holding it up high far away from the rest of the sports manga.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 09:28:53 PM »
Touche, though my point was aimed at a more focused "American Football" sub-genre.

I should have made that more clear, my apologies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up