Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 12:31:07 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: NHRV review rating distribution  (Read 10874 times)

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

NHRV review rating distribution
« on: March 05, 2006, 09:11:08 PM »
So, what do I do when I'm bored at Uni (and should be doing other things).  I think about pointless crap like "I wonder what NHRV's review rating distribution is".  So, here it is:

x-axis are the ratings, and the height of the columns give the number of reviews people have done with those ratings.  Chances are I've miscounted somewhere, so it's probably not 100% accurate, but it's close enough.  Oh, and I only counted anime reviews.

So, what can we draw from these graphs?  Well, Tale's distribution (red) is almost a perfect bellcurve.  And, ignoring the massive number of "9s" he's given, Kuma's is almost perfect as well.  Difference:  Tale's center is around "8", while Kuma's is around "6"... which either suggests that Kuma is a harder reviewer, or Tale has reviewed better anime.

Genki hasn't reviewed nearly as much as Tale or Kuma, but ignoring the large number of "10s" she's given, she's pretty much got a bellcurve distribution as well.  DK's is the weirdest distribution, but I think that relates to the fact that he hasn't got nearly as many reviews as everyone else.  (OMG WRITE MORE REVIEWS DK!!!!11ONE)

Me?  I'm flatline, just about.  I haven't written a huge number of reviews, but other than "10" and "1" I have at least a review with every score.  I also have exactly the same number of reviews with a score greater than 5 as with a score less than or equal to 5.  Coincidence?  Of course. :)

So, what trends can we draw from this?  None really, since it's all based on coincidence.  I just wanted to see what it'd look like.  Now that I think about it, I probably should have done a graph of totals... but I didn't think of it at the time, and I'm too lazy to add it in.  It pretty much looks like a slightly larger version of Tale's distribution (surprise, surprise).

Discuss... not that there's really a great deal to discuss.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

Re: NHRV review rating distribution
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 06:00:42 AM »
You need to write more reviews. Discussed.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 12:47:26 PM »
We need more reviews of crappy anime.

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 08:43:51 PM »
I submitted an "8" and a "3" this month.

On the subject of crappy anime, I don't think it's that big of a deal.  After all, people would rather be told what to watch than what not to watch.  Of course you need some bad reviews so people can get a feel for your taste in anime.

Heh, I stepped on Taleweaver's toes a little when I gave A-ko a "1" and GitS a "3."  He wrote reviews for both soon after and gave them "8s."  I'm not saying he did it as a balancing action, but man do we have different tastes in anime.

I like my distribution because I feel most anime is around 5-6.  I intentionally reviewed a lot of "9s" so people would know what I like.

Overall I'd say we're a pretty fair site when it comes to reviewing anime.

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 08:06:24 PM »
...haha...oh man...

[dies laughing for having given the highest amount of 10's according to the graph]
When in doubt, speak Italian and sing "Seven Nation Army"

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 11:06:55 PM »
I have written more reviews...  :(

I just haven't uploaded them.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Kuma

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 02:11:03 PM »
Quote from: Tamashii
We need more reviews of crappy anime.

Ask and ye shall recieve!  I reviewed Tekken this month.  Honestly, I though it would be worse. (I gave it a "2")

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 07:58:36 PM »
Blame AA and their shitty reviews.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 11:19:19 PM »
Here we are about 7 months and 3 new reviewers (lol Seven) later.  I decided to do a recount and see how we've changed since then.  I'm almost certain this count is perfectly accurate, since I didn't do it by hand.  Again, I've only counted anime, and none of the other sections... I don't think we have quite enough reviews in the other sections for such a count to be meaningful.  I didn't bother presenting this graphically this time... I think the raw numbers are easy enough to follow and speak for themselves, though.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6660/untitled1zo4.png

132 total reviews in the anime section.  I think that very figure on its own warrants us all to give ourselves a pat on the back.  Our most frequent rating is still "8".  I'm not quite sure what to make of this.  I actually find "8" a rather awkward rating to give out, since I only really hand it out if the title is too good for "7", but not good enough for "9".  (Well, duh).  What I'm trying to say, is that when a title is around "8", I tend to try to fit it into one of the other ratings, and if it doesn't fit, only then will I give it "8".  I think some people might understand what I'm trying to say... I suspect a few of us have a rating like that they'll only give it if it's awkward to give it something else, and it differs from person to person. *cough* 7, Kuma *cough*.  I could have sworn I'd given out more "6"s than "5"s...

We are still a tad top heavy, but that's to be expected.  Who wants to write reviews about crappy anime after all?  Interesting statistic is, percentage of non-"5" scores below "5".  Ideally, if we were choosing our anime totally randomly and reviewing everything we watched, this number should be 50% (if our reviewing scale isn't biased and "5" really was "Average").  On total, it's 18.1%.  For Taleweaver, it's 0%.  For myself, it's 29.7%.  For Kuma, it's 25%.  For DK, it's 26.6%.  I've actually been meaning to review a few crappy titles for a while (Kage Kara Mamoru, To Heart ~RMM~, the two series of Da Crapo, etc, etc) but I haven't been able to bring myself to write them.  I can't advocate going out and watching crappy anime purely for the sake of writing reviews though... not worth the time.  But, maybe we should be more likely to write reviews on those occassions where we do stumble upon terrible series, just to make us not so top-heavy.

Interesting how no one's given the dreaded "0".  Tbh, I'm not sure I've seen an anime I think deserves "0".

Offline Scoot

• Synergistic
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 08:49:01 AM »
All you've accomplished is showing everyone what a lazy swine I am. Damn you, SK! *shakes fist*
All the best, Scoot.

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 11:17:50 AM »
Quote from: Sorrow-kun
Again, I've only counted anime, and none of the other sections... I don't think we have quite enough reviews in the other sections for such a count to be meaningful.
:O  I see how it is!  You and your beloved anime section!

Well, it's probably a good thing you didn't do the music section or the live action.  After all, I'm well aware that my rating distribution is top-heavy.... but dammit, it's hard enough listening to bad music, let alone reviewing it too.

* dheu leads the way with her "0" rating for Sanhedolin.  >:3

Offline mouse

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 11:50:20 AM »
Hmm, the statistics don't look too bad to me.  I think most anime falls in that 5-8 range out of 10.  Besides, the more you guys watch and the more you review, the more critical you'll naturally become--finding flaws where you didn't before simply because you're more familiar with the medium.  So in this way, you won't necessarily have to go looking for bad anime, everything just automatically won't  be so great.

Offline Kuma

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 02:22:52 PM »
Our most frequent rating is still "8".  I'm not quite sure what to make of this.  I actually find "8" a rather awkward rating to give out

Yeah, I definitely give out more "8s" than I should.  To me an "8" is a title that is almost good enough to be a classic (9 or up) but is just a little too flawed to be considered as such.  Of course there are exceptions, Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water, being one.  It is a classic, although for other reasons than just the quality of the show.  I agree, I hate giving out "8s" and I always kick myself whenever I do.

I suspect a few of us have a rating like that they'll only give it if it's awkward to give it something else, and it differs from person to person. *cough* 7, Kuma *cough*.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.  Are you basing that on the number of  "7s" I've given out, or on specific reviews I've written?  I have a hard time figuring out a good definition of a "7" if that's what you mean.  :)

We are still a tad top heavy, but that's to be expected.  Who wants to write reviews about crappy anime after all?

I do!  I love tearing crappy anime a new one (read my Tekken review).  It's actually watching the crappy anime that I hate.

Interesting statistic is, percentage of non-"5" scores below "5".  Ideally, if we were choosing our anime totally randomly and reviewing everything we watched, this number should be 50% (if our reviewing scale isn't biased and "5" really was "Average").  On total, it's 18.1%.

Not necessarily.  You have to take into account that DVD companies and fansub groups are more likely to release a good title over a bad one.  Since none of us speak fluent Japanese or have access to Japanese TV, we essentially can't pick our shows completely at random; we have to pick from what is made available to us by companies and fansub groups.  Our scale is therefore inherently biased.  This is a complete guess, but I'd estimate that the average anime available for us to review is closer to a "6" than a "5."

I can't advocate going out and watching crappy anime purely for the sake of writing reviews though... not worth the time.  But, maybe we should be more likely to write reviews on those occassions where we do stumble upon terrible series, just to make us not so top-heavy.

Some crappy reviews are necessary so that people know what we don't like, but I believe that people would rather be told what to watch instead of what not to watch.  Being top heavy is a good thing, unless we are like 90+% top heavy.  I think our current distribution is pretty good.  I don't shy from reviewing a bad series, I just watch far more good stuff than I do bad stuff.

Interesting how no one's given the dreaded "0".  Tbh, I'm not sure I've seen an anime I think deserves "0".

For me to give a "0" the show would have to be abyssmal and feel like it's not even anime.  Maybe something like M.D. Geist, or Reign the Conqueror...

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 03:18:04 PM »
Quote from: Kuma
I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.  Are you basing that on the number of  "7s" I've given out, or on specific reviews I've written?  I have a hard time figuring out a good definition of a "7" if that's what you mean.  :)
Basing that purely on the number of 7s.  I noticed you haven't give a great deal out compared with "8" and "6", which is why I thought you see "7" in a similar way I see "8"... a bit of an odd rating to give.

Not necessarily.  You have to take into account that DVD companies and fansub groups are more likely to release a good title over a bad one.  Since none of us speak fluent Japanese or have access to Japanese TV, we essentially can't pick our shows completely at random; we have to pick from what is made available to us by companies and fansub groups.  Our scale is therefore inherently biased.  This is a complete guess, but I'd estimate that the average anime available for us to review is closer to a "6" than a "5."
Actually, that's a good point.  When you bring that up I can see why it's almost impossible to have a perfectly centered Gaussian distribution in our rating distribution.

For me to give a "0" the show would have to be abyssmal and feel like it's not even anime.  Maybe something like M.D. Geist, or Reign the Conqueror...
From memory the worst anime I've ever seen is Devil Hunter Yohko, and even that's a "1", IMO.  If I ever see something worse than that, I know what a "0" would be... but I'm sorta hoping I never do.

Offline C0MPL3X

• :3

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 05:13:18 PM »
I'm not a reviewer but most animes I see are at least grade '8' material, and I sometimes see grade '7' material, and almost never watch anything below that. I drop everything else since following them is a complete waste of time IMO. And I thought dissing out bad animes almost makes up for watching it, you know, gives you a chance to exercise all those groan inducing puns and sarcasms and etc.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 05:29:53 PM »
Quote from: C0MPL3X
I'm not a reviewer but most animes I see are at least grade '8' material, and I sometimes see grade '7' material, and almost never watch anything below that. I drop everything else since following them is a complete waste of time IMO. And I thought dissing out bad animes almost makes up for watching it, you know, gives you a chance to exercise all those groan inducing puns and sarcasms and etc.
Well, that's what I used to think, but recently bringing back memories about really bad anime wages warfare on my mental health... or something.  Nah, I'm just lazy tbh.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 11:59:51 PM »
Wait a second...

We can give 0's?  My Steel Angel Kurumi II review would have definately been a 0 if I knew that.  It was honestly the worst thing I've ever freakin' seen.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up