Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 16, 2017, 12:07:00 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DeathNote  (Read 5806 times)

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

DeathNote
« on: May 11, 2005, 05:09:36 PM »
DeathNote is a gripping story of how the world of the dead meets the living world. Ryuuku a Shinigami (a kind of grim reaper) has lost his deathnote, a book with the power to end a persons life as long as there name is clearly written. To Ryuuku's delight it is found by a 17 year old boy, Yagami Raito, who plans to use the book to cleanse the world of all evil. Here embarks a clever game of cat and mouse as he matches wits with a mysterious investigator by the code name 'L'. A beautifully detailed story with a clever script that keeps you wanting more.

This has recently become one of my favorite manga.  It's so hard to put down after picking it up and reading it.  I'm currently up to chapter 63.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 03:52:51 AM by DarkKanti »

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline dheu

• AFK
  • Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

DeathNote
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 11:12:08 AM »
What, no one's replied to this one?

I love DeathNote, at least as far as I've read up through it (chapter 32 or so).  At the same time, though, I'm kind of torn whether I want to continue it or not, especially once the storyline was spoiled for me and I learned what happened to my favorite character.  Now I don't know if I want to go on with it, considering that Raito (or Light, in the American release) annoys the heck out of me.

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

DeathNote
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 12:26:24 PM »
I've read the first three volumes and it is quickly becoming one of my favorites.  The amount of thought put into every corner of the dialogue is mind-boggling and the subtle differences in the character artwork as the story progresses add a phenomenal degree of realism.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

DeathNote
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 04:59:22 PM »
Don't worry, dheu. Even if it was spoiled for you, you will still enjoy how such a plot twist came about. Guaranteed.

Raito (Light) is an interesting character in that he can be seen as the protagonist, yet also can be mirrored to be the antagonist, all of which depends on the view point of the reader. The manga sympathizes with him in the beginning, but now that the manga-ka knows where he is going with it, he's left the decision up to the reader (which becomes obvious because he chooses to reveal more of L's inner-workings and personality than he should if L was truly the antagonist).

Offline Kurier

• Rehabilitating...
  • Ex-Reviewer

DeathNote
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 07:14:32 PM »
The realism and twists in Death Note have made it my favorite manga title, even overtaking my obsession for Genshiken.

Light was my favorite character, until L (I know, I had a lot of characters to chose from) was shown in more detail. Wait, I take that back. I sit on the fence with this one. Light and L's tennis match really challenged my liking of them both, in the case that it balanced them out.

This one is hard to put down, I am always looking for the next volume.
I fell off the wagon and now I can't stop.

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

Re: DeathNote
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 10:02:38 AM »
I just read volume 5 and I have to say I'm a little bit disappointed.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!

I don't like how Light has given up his Death Note and is now working with L to track down other Death Note users.  What made Death Note great was the cat and mouse battle between Light and L, and now they're working together?!  It's still a great manga, but It was far better when the two were on opposing sides.  I also find it hard to believe that Light would give up his Death Note without some kind of contingency plan to get it back.  I guess I'll have to wait and see...

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 12:54:55 AM »
Quote from: Kuma
I just read volume 5 and I have to say I'm a little bit disappointed.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!

I don't like how Light has given up his Death Note and is now working with L to track down other Death Note users.  What made Death Note great was the cat and mouse battle between Light and L, and now they're working together?!  It's still a great manga, but It was far better when the two were on opposing sides.  I also find it hard to believe that Light would give up his Death Note without some kind of contingency plan to get it back.  I guess I'll have to wait and see...

Believe me, it's nowhere near over.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Dtortot

• Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.mangareviewer.com

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 12:14:01 AM »
Yeah you will have to wait and see how it goes. In my opinion its ending sucks but some still love it none the less.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »
An old thread...but I have no where else to say this.

SPOILER, DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER UNTIL YOU HAVE COMPLETED DEATH NOTE

I am not satisfied with the ending. The one-shot was also a bad waste of time. I wanted Light to win. My reasons:
- It would have made for a rather unique ending. There are too many of these damn positive endings. If Death Note ended as it should have, with the victory of Light, Death Note would have been in my mind, one of the greatest manga. If the authors intended the series to end as such, they would have had the reader get the impression during the conclusion that Light would lose, but would win with a trump card (the reverse of what actually happens, in a sense). It may upset readers, but its audacity to end in such a fashion would make it an incredible feat, having had firmly led its readers along a relatively moral path, despite being from the "evil side"'s perspective.
- Near's victory is ridiculous. There were almost no clues given. There were about two or three frames where the words said were "Can you do it?" and "The problem is solved." It would have been more satisfactory to show Mikani going to the bank, retrieving something (but not reveal what is it), and cutting away from that scene. Instead, the authors used yet another "whoa it's a plot twist that came out of left field! So damn, it must be good!" These are easy to do and follow too much along the lines of a deus ex machina, one of the most horrible storytelling devices (unless the manga dealt with the nature of fate, then I would understand the use of deus ex machina to some extent, but it does not).
- In retrospect, one could even say Light's victory (up until Near's revelation) was ridiculous; however, there were certainly more clues than three frames and two lines: it was made very obvious that Mikani's observation scenes, where he is noticed "asking for the shinigami" and when he writes in the death note, were fishy. Someone of Mikani's intelligence and Light's intelligence, would easily notice being followed/guessed that he would be followed and take precautions. Additionally, him carrying around the death note for no apparent reason also raised suspicion. So when Light gave us his explanation of how he "won," I easily accepted it, until then it was only a suspicion that he knew EVERYTHING Near was planning, but right then that confirmed it (other than of course, replacing the real death note).

Altogether, it was a very enticing manga, something that definitely kept me at the edge of my seat. I originally stopped after L died (because there were no more translations), and had just returned to finish it. I finished it in one sitting, pulling an all-nighter. I don't recall doing that for many books, mangas, or films. It definitely had one of the most thorough plots. I have a few other complaints (worthless characters like Misa, who act not only dumb and gain the reader's disgust, but also act as an obvious plot device, and no more; the use of Mello so infrequently towards the end, and even then, only use him when it was convenient to--so Mello waited around for weeks doing nothing? It's hard to accept), but hey, nothing can really be perfect.
Pages: [1]   Go Up